General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

2003 Cobra or 1998 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 03:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for the money you are spending.....

i would have to say cobra, as much as i hate to admit it.

z06 is just going to end up being way more money for slightly better (if that) power.

Yeah a good H/C setup will walk a cobra.... how much money did the vette dump into his car than the cobra...
Old 08-28-2007, 03:35 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Cobra X eleventy billion.

If you can get a newer car for the same price, then do it by all means. The Cobra may not handle NEARLY as well as the vette, but how much does that matter in a weekend cruiser or a daily driver? Are you going to a road course EVERY DAY?

A H/C vette would be a bad *** ride, but also cost a bad *** amount of money to do right and make good power. The Cobra can make equivelant power with a pully, cold air, cat-back and a tune. I'm guessing 4k plus to do the Heads/Cam/Tune/Supporting mods for the vette, and less than 2k to make the same power in the Cobra

I find it pretty funny that the guy calling the Cobra a "brick in the wind" drives a third Gen Camaro "brick in the wind". Also brand loyalty is ******* rediculous these days, why would you take the lesser car to maintain your "loyalty". That my friend, is pathetic.

Last edited by Coy; 08-28-2007 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:38 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

By lesser car, I mean almost 10 year old car, compared to a 4 year old car. Not trying to get anybody butt hurt in here.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:46 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

My last post in this thread, since I went back and forth for a long time between a ZO6, and a Cobra. Drive them both, see which one suits you better, and go for the car your more comfortable with. I am getting a ZO6, but my priorites may be different then yours.

This wasn't meant to be a pro-ford, or pro chevy post. Just buy intelligently, and get what YOU want. Not what some guys you'll never meet are telling you to get.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ae13291
the only reason people will say cobra is becasue u can get a good deal on them and very very easy to mod u can gain so much power from the stupidest things that its just cheating! i am really not a fan of cobra's but i do know they are fast as **** but be wise about what u choose notice every cobra you see on the streets all have mods non of them are stock, but you do see f bodys and corvettes stock on the street becase they are bought for what they really are, people only buy cobra's for the straight line performance and they do not stay stock becse stock they suck *** but if i were you i will tak the corvette its alot better chioce and its a car the will be appriciated because of its name and think about just the fact that saying you OWN A FORD

LMAO!

This is one of the STUPIDEST posts in forum history. I'm embarrassed for you. I really am.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:57 PM
Banned

According to this logic buy a Supra, with a boost controller and exhaust it will haul *** and get more looks than a Cobra. C'mon guys Im not saying the Cobra is a bad car( I like them alot) but you cant compare it to a vette besides maybe the fact it has a back seat. Buy what you want because bang for buck is not a reason to buy a car, otherwise I would say buy a 3rd gen f-body or a fox-body, put 20k into either and have a 1,000+whp. Buyers remorse sucks so think long and hard about it before you make a decision, dont let anyone pressure you into a hasty decision cus it will always be a bad one.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by night ghost
im all about ls1's but the truth of the matter is that cobra is the best bang for the buck u can get
you can easily modify them with decent power with minimal amounts of cash
cobras also come stock with a built motor although not with the best of rods it can handle alot more than an ls1 for sure
Our rods are one of the strongest parts of the motor. I've never seen or heard of anyone damaging the rods.

The pistons are the weak link in the motor. When a Cobra hurts the motor, it's almost always the pistons. They literally melt from the heat produced by how fast we spin these superchargers.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by capn smokey
I cant believe this forums loyalty to a Ford product, this is pitiful guys. Go with the vette hands down, a good heads/cam setup will usually walk a pullied S/C Cobra in a straight line and flat out embarrass it on a track. The choice should be obvious-3600+lbs vs 3200lbs, 5.7l vs 4.6l, slick aerodynamics vs. brick in the wind, eye catching timeless looks vs. "is that a v6 or a v8 mustang?", and the list goes on and on. Or to put it more simply: Ford vs. Chevy. No brainer dude IMHO.
If you're not the biggest Ford HATER on this site, you sure make yourself out to look like one.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

i'm going to have to say get the Cobra.. badass car and would much rather have over the vette
Old 08-28-2007, 05:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not own a cobra just because its not my thing. Get a c5 z06 instead of regular c5. But i would get a cobra over a 98 vette since these are the only two options.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not buy the Vette and from the cash you would save from the Cobra buy a Magna charger? Lighter, more displacement same roots style blower, corvette all the way!
Old 08-28-2007, 05:58 PM
Launching!

Again...do you need a back seat?
Everything else being equal...that would be my tipping point...
Old 08-28-2007, 06:05 PM
12 Second Club

i love gm, but is this even a serious question? the best mustang motor every made or a shitty 98 ls1? the ls1 wasnt even good until 2000 everybody knows that! come on, this is a no brainer!
Old 08-28-2007, 06:14 PM
Staging Lane

Sonic blue Cobra.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really if he needed a back seat he shouldn't consider a Cobra either.

Ever sit in the back of a Mustang?
Old 08-28-2007, 06:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wow....I dont' know what to say....I'm blown away at some of the posts.

And Dave......make that sonic Blue x2 (SB Coupe with a KB...yummy)
Old 08-28-2007, 06:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

id most deffinatly take the 03 cobra.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by THEBRAD
i love gm, but is this even a serious question? the best mustang motor every made or a shitty 98 ls1? the ls1 wasnt even good until 2000 everybody knows that! come on, this is a no brainer!
The LS1 has ALWAYS been good just the 98 didn't have the best of the heads and several other parts, then 99 was made a little better but still some MINOR flaws, 00 well still no cigar, but 01 02 used the best parts on them, therfore perfecting it. now where you got "shitty" from is beyond me considering even with the flawed parts it's still a EXCELLENT engine, and most people don't even keep the scrwed up parts on it anyways.

in other words, i love GM but the 03 cobra is one bad machine and i do like vettes but i would prefer to have a cobra considering theres a billion and a half vettes cruising around and not quite as many cobras (03 04)... btw the only thing that sets that stang off from the others is the beefed up body kit and that SUPERCHARGER
Old 08-28-2007, 07:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Really if he needed a back seat he shouldn't consider a Cobra either.

Ever sit in the back of a Mustang?

Yes I own one....BTW ever sit in the back seat of a Vette? Thats why I asked....

Mustang backseats arent that uncomforable anyways.....

They can hold baby seats if you want them too..one they can face forward that is...
Old 08-28-2007, 08:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by capn smokey
I cant believe this forums loyalty to a Ford product, this is pitiful guys. Go with the vette hands down, a good heads/cam setup will usually walk a pullied S/C Cobra in a straight line and flat out embarrass it on a track. The choice should be obvious-3600+lbs vs 3200lbs, 5.7l vs 4.6l, slick aerodynamics vs. brick in the wind, eye catching timeless looks vs. "is that a v6 or a v8 mustang?", and the list goes on and on. Or to put it more simply: Ford vs. Chevy. No brainer dude IMHO.
the forum has no loyalty to a ford product, you are just an idiot. you blindly go with a GM product just because it's a GM product. so, your honest opinion is useless and ignorant. whenever someone mentions a ford you are the first to jump all over them and call it a piece of crap before you even know anything about it. give me a break and seriously get a life. the best races i had in my civic were against guys like you. the guy who wouldnt pull up to the light after he got raped by a 1.6L single cam turbo because they "don't deserve respect". why? just because it isn't the same car YOU decided to build? life doesnt work that way, whether you ever realize it or not.

the cobra is the better choice. the aerodynamics on a mustang are not as bad as this guy seems to think they are. a GMC typhoon is a brick(a very nice brick), the mustang is not a brick. the vette is definitely a badass car. if it was an 01+ FRC i would take the vette, but those cobras are awesome.