General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

turbo or whipple

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007 | 09:10 PM
Staging Lane

my friend has a corvette with a procharger and that things goes through a belt every month. where do i get a magna charger?? turbo is a lil more than i want to spend right now.
Old 08-29-2007 | 09:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

yah they are fast but my brothers cobra went threw belts also with the procharger
um look at this whole thread and look for the link for the magna charger you can get a cog belt system with the centri though u know there are also vortech power dyne and so forth
Old 08-29-2007 | 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

well turbo you wouldnt have to run race gas on street you can have meth injection and only use it when you need to and still run pump or close to pump. but a supercharder you would have to change the pulley if you dont want to buy c116 or something like that all the time. And i have seen turbo gas motors sun over 80ps1 sh that would be plenty of boost for anyone. There is a lot of parasitic drag if you are making 28psi too on a supercharger.
Old 08-29-2007 | 09:53 PM
Banned

I think you should get one of the good electric blowers. I had one on my old LT1 car, and I was seriously impressed. I also had an Autometer boost gauge, and I **** you not, I'd see over 4psi at IDLE. THAT IS LOW END TORQUE. And 4psi makes a HUGE difference. And the whole setup only an me like $650 off eBay for a duel electric supercharger setup. It was pretty kickass.
Old 08-29-2007 | 09:56 PM
PSR
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 180ls1
well turbo you wouldnt have to run race gas on street you can have meth injection and only use it when you need to and still run pump or close to pump. but a supercharder you would have to change the pulley if you dont want to buy c116 or something like that all the time. And i have seen turbo gas motors sun over 80ps1 sh that would be plenty of boost for anyone. There is a lot of parasitic drag if you are making 28psi too on a supercharger.

What are you talking about?
Old 08-29-2007 | 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

good luck psr...how much taller is the 3.4 then a normal roots blower?

like this one?

http://www.lmspeed.com/index.asp?Pag...WPROD&ProdID=2

they have to chop at the cowl(I fi remember correctly) and lower the engine a little bit.
Old 08-30-2007 | 12:33 AM
PSR
9 Second Club

They are more wide than tall.
The Hood for sure will have to be changed and I know I will have to modify the cowl however I’m going to lower the motor to take car of most of the problems. The blowers snout sits high as you can see from my picture. However with a custom lower made for this we might be in the clear. However the key is going o be lower the compression to 9:1. that way we can run 18-21 psi on 109 VP you don’t need C-16 too much octane can hurt you just as bad as not enough
Old 08-30-2007 | 01:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 180ls1

yes there is parasitic loss from the crank spinning the supercharger but also keep in mind that that turbos put a restriction on the exhaust which also accounts for parasitic loss

and dan what kind of hood am i going to need to get
Old 08-30-2007 | 02:11 AM
PSR
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by night ghost
yes there is parasitic loss from the crank spinning the supercharger but also keep in mind that that turbos put a restriction on the exhaust which also accounts for parasitic loss

and dan what kind of hood am i going to need to get

Turbos have lag not a parasitic loss just an FYI. Turbos add back pressure to an exhaust system

as for the hood we will cross that path when we get there.
Old 08-30-2007 | 02:16 AM
PSR
9 Second Club

this looks cool

Old 08-30-2007 | 02:19 AM
PSR
9 Second Club

this looks a little on the wild side

Old 08-30-2007 | 02:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

damn thats like a cowl ram air
interesting.................... lol
Old 08-30-2007 | 11:01 AM
TECH Regular

Well, be that as it may. I'm gonna stick to being one of the guys that thinks a whipple will never happen on an Fbody, and that night ghost is making himself out to be more than he is.

Now, instead of getting pissed off about what i believe, use that to go out and prove me wrong.
Old 08-30-2007 | 11:03 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by PSR
this looks cool
usexoticsltd makes those. a little extream for my taste, but might fit a whipple under there...
Old 08-30-2007 | 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just read this thread I thanks alot, as I am now dumber.
Old 08-30-2007 | 01:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by stevegrizzle
I just read this thread I thanks alot, as I am now dumber.

haha, sounds like it

and why wont a whipple EVER be on a fbody? im sure someone, somewhere has enough time and money to make it happen.
Old 08-30-2007 | 02:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

TT LSX 454
Old 08-30-2007 | 03:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wowsers
haha, sounds like it

and why wont a whipple EVER be on a fbody? im sure someone, somewhere has enough time and money to make it happen.
Just not the punka$$ kid in this thread.
Old 08-30-2007 | 04:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FieroZ34
Just not the punka$$ kid in this thread.
ur the punk!!! y u callin him a punka$$ kid??? just because ur jealous that he got some extra money and u dont?????? btw, im sure that psr in az is going to do the whipple fabrication on this kids car. dont hate because u dont got money for that. besides, his money came because his father passes away and left him with it, so dont be callin him a punk dude. hes had enough of a bad time already.
Old 08-30-2007 | 04:16 PM
Banned

I'm not jealous at all. Quite frankly I see nothing in having such a lack of mechanical inclination, and such an excessive abundance of ignorance that one can't even comprehend fitting a blower on his car, let alone being the one to actually do it. No, he has to pay someone to do it for him.

Anyone can cut the check to have someone else work on their car. I prefer to buy the welder, get my lazy *** off the computer, and actually build it myself, then talk ****. I'll be jealous when he builds it all himself, and it can walk away from my Fiero in a straight line, cut a faster time through an AutoX track, get better mileage, and last longer. He'll need more than his high 11 second Firebird, and more than his wet dreams of having a blower.

It's like this. I have a Camaro. It's a very nice Camaro, and a very expensive one. But what do you see in my sig? A 10 year old Fiero with more plastic than steel. It isn't what I have, it's how I got it. And I built, by hand, my engine swap, my turbo kit, my hot side piping, my cold side piping, my intercooler system, my fuel lines, my coolant lines, my wiring harness, and everything else it took to get this car running. And there are very few people on this message board that can do what I did, to the level that it was done.

Last edited by FieroZ34; 08-30-2007 at 04:22 PM.

Quick Reply: turbo or whipple