General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Just got my permit today!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 12:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got my permit today!

Well, I'm 16 and I just got my permit today. It was my last lesson and the guy said just to drive and I don't need any specific help on anything to work on expect maybe putting on my blinker when I parallel park, but that's it.

Can't wait for my mom to come home and I can go drive =D

But I get my license next June when I'm 17, so that kinda sucks, lol.

Also, I know I'm inexperience and I wasn't even driving thatt fast (I was going 75-80 in a 85MPH limit zone today) but driving the auto was a little boring. I need to find a friend with an M6 to test out and see what I enjoy better
Old 09-13-2007, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

congrats on the permit, i remember how excited i was when i first got mine and how "fun" driving was. truth be known, it gets old really quick unless youve got a nice fast car, which im guessin WONT be your first car lol. but i dont think ive EVER heard of any stretch of road where the speed limit is 85 MPH. the highest spped limit around here is 75. i'll hafta acll BS on that until i get proof lol.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be careful - you'll shoot your eye out!
Old 09-13-2007, 12:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by kyles2000z
congrats on the permit, i remember how excited i was when i first got mine and how "fun" driving was. truth be known, it gets old really quick unless youve got a nice fast car, which im guessin WONT be your first car lol. but i dont think ive EVER heard of any stretch of road where the speed limit is 85 MPH. the highest spped limit around here is 75. i'll hafta acll BS on that until i get proof lol.
I swear man......you get off the NJ Turnpike and there's a highway the limit is 85. There's higher too. I know in Florida they have limits of 90 and my brother told me some of the bigger roads are 105......but I'm not 100% sure on the 105.

But yeah, I hope it doesn't get old. For now it's a 97' Nissan Sentra...it doesn't even have the RPM meter, lol. But next June when I'm 17, I'm looking into getting an LS1 hopefully.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

I remember the day I got my permit! I still remember the very first time I drove by myself too. It was actually to Pep boys lol. The biggest thing i can say is dont get cocky b/c especially with our cars they will whip your butt so bad if you dont respect them.

Example: I was being dumb and sped around a corner on a wet road and accelerated hard. The car's rear came out from underneath me so fast I had no time to react. I was spun facing the opposite direction. Keep in mind this is an SUV my friends in the other car said they were sure I was going to roll over. It was God's good graces that nothing happened and I was fine.

As far as the 85mph speed limit I'd have to call BS on that one also. Montana is one of the only places that you can drive that fast legally.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Congrats man. Be careful though driving 70+ with just starting out. Things happen fast at that speed and with lots of other vehicles on the highway. I'm a little baffled that Jersey has a road with an 85mph speed limit, I've never heard that. Hmmm. But I'm pretty sure the 105 in Florida is bogus. That would be a little ridiculous.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

lol i hate to bust your bubble, but i was so amazed at your speed limit statements i had to look it up. heres a table of each state's statewide speed limits on rural interestates, urban interstates, highways, etc.

http://www.iihs.org/laws/speedlimits.aspx

the hgihest speed limit posted in any state is 75 mph. youre brother told you wrong i think.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yep, cant say I'd agree with the 85mph and the 105mph.

This article states Texas has the highest speed limit of 80mph. Granted, it was written in 2006 so things may have changed.

http://www.planetizen.com/node/21570
Old 09-13-2007, 01:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kyles2000z
lol i hate to bust your bubble, but i was so amazed at your speed limit statements i had to look it up. heres a table of each state's statewide speed limits on rural interestates, urban interstates, highways, etc.

http://www.iihs.org/laws/speedlimits.aspx

the hgihest speed limit posted in any state is 75 mph. youre brother told you wrong i think.
New mexico has 75 and it's awesome.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

congrats man be safe out there
Old 09-13-2007, 01:29 PM
Staging Lane

I guess I made a mistake reading it then. Because anyways, the teacher didn't stop me either when I was going that fast. I could SWEAR I saw a 90 MPG sign somewhere....maybe not Florida, but somewhere in the US....I'm going to go crazy now, lol....

But yeah, I'm not really going to be racing or even going 10+ above the speed limit because I can only drive with my mom now and she's crazy with me driving. But hopefully when I'm 17 and have my LS1, I can drive on my own. =D

I'm so excited

One thing I noticed and also the teacher told me was that just because there's other drivers on the road, they're not good drivers. I saw today 3 things other drivers did wrong like passing a stop sign, going right on a No Turn on Right, etc.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well there's always going to be other drivers that have no clue what they're doing. Can't tell you how many close calls I've had. All you can do is stay alert and be aware of others around you and make sure you're doing what you're supposed to be doing. And atleast you'll have your Sentra for now to really get acclimated to driving. Going right into an LS1 would be a really big mistake and be too much car for a beginner.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:56 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, I'm not even going to argue against that. A 20 second car is what I really need at this point right now Because I'm still not 100% comfortable when driving....especially when I got stuck between two big trailer trucks today. I want to be comfortable in a car and with myself before I buy an LS1 or even an F-Body for that matter.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

If you get an LS1 for your first car, you'll most likely die especially if your not comfortable.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:16 PM
Launching!

the 1st day i got my liscence my parent didnt trust me enough to let me drive without them in the car so the next morning i woke up and took the TA out it was an 86 with a 305 pretty quick for my 1st car and now im on my second 98 ta btw im onley 17 to so have fun
Old 09-13-2007, 02:20 PM
Teching In

My first car was a 1981 Mercedes 300D... my 2nd car (2000 Cavalier) felt fast after driving that!

Then I got into the Evo, Cobra, and GTO... quite a difference.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:25 PM
Staging Lane

Sweet....right now though, I don't want a fast car. I just want to learn ....but one thing...is a 97' Nissan Sentra strong enough to do a burnout? I don't think it is but I'm going to give it a shot....
Old 09-13-2007, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CamaroLover
I could SWEAR I saw a 90 MPG sign somewhere....maybe not Florida, but somewhere in the US....I'm going to go crazy now, lol....
I didnt know that states were posting MPG's. That is bullshit, I only get 28 tops on the TA on the highway . Seriously though, the US gov wouldnt allow a speed limit to be above 85 and Im sure they wouldnt allow even 85 to be a speed limit. 105 is pure bs. Just a friendly reminder, try not to BS on here, people love calling bs'ers out on ****. This isnt a High School forum, its filled with thousands of people that know ALOT about every subject imaginable because of the wide variety of knowledge. Im not trying to be a dick, but you will get along better with people in here.

Congrats on your permit. Please remember this, THINK, and drive slow and pay attention, other people will think you are cool if you respect the road.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

Posted limits are one thing, there are stretches of highway where law enforcment won't pull some one over for doing 80-90 simply because EVERYONE is going that fast, so speeding (with in reason) is decriminalized. I know on I-68/70 here in maryland you can pass a cop doing about 80 in a 65 and he won't think anything of it.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:11 PM
Tech Resident

Well, I'm 16 and I just got my permit today. It was my last lesson and the guy said just to drive and I don't need any specific help on anything to work on expect maybe putting on my blinker when I parallel park, but that's it.

Can't wait for my mom to come home and I can go drive =D

But I get my license next June when I'm 17, so that kinda sucks, lol.

Also, I know I'm inexperience and I wasn't even driving thatt fast (I was going 75-80 in a 85MPH limit zone today) but driving the auto was a little boring. I need to find a friend with an M6 to test out and see what I enjoy better
I see you live in NJ. So do I. The highest speed limit a NJ road can have is 65 mph. You'll find 65 mph on the Atlantic City Expressway, the Garden State Parkway, the NJ Turnpike, I-295, I-95 and other interstates. The highest speed limit that I've ever seen on normal State, County and Township routes is 55 mph. There's no way you were in an 85 mph zone They simply do not exist in NJ. Hell, I've been to MONTANA where there wasn't even a such thing as a speed limit until ~10 years ago (yup, Montana used to have no speed limit on any road), and the highest I saw while I was there was 75 mph.

I swear man......you get off the NJ Turnpike and there's a highway the limit is 85. There's higher too. I know in Florida they have limits of 90 and my brother told me some of the bigger roads are 105......but I'm not 100% sure on the 105.

But yeah, I hope it doesn't get old. For now it's a 97' Nissan Sentra...it doesn't even have the RPM meter, lol. But next June when I'm 17, I'm looking into getting an LS1 hopefully.
Somebody got one over on you. There aren't any speed limits in the USA above 75 mph AFAIK. You'll never see an 80 mph speed zone unless you leave the country.