General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Test Drove a Modded GTO ( not impressed )

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bet it was faster then you though...
Old 09-27-2007, 04:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon5212
Thats weird... i test drove an 05 black/black at a dealership a while ago and it felt really strong. I blew the tires off in 1st and going into 2nd and chirped them going into third. Felt very strong, of course i didn't have my Z28 then but I was very impressed with it from the 04.

my friends 06 felt strong too. all i can think of is that it was heatsoaking along with not being broken in. because i made 20hp/20TQ more than my friends after his tune. i had a CAI and CB and he had mufflers and stock intake. both m6s.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it sounds like the guy had alot of money and work into the car, im sure he wouldnt put all that nice stuff in without getting it tuned
Old 09-27-2007, 05:06 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

First guy who drives a 2V Mustang GT will be beside himslef and take it home. It sounds slow as shet though. Hard to picture an LS1 auto GTO as impressive.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Camaro Z
The fun factor just wasn't there. I'm sure the nitrous would have been pretty fun though

That because it was a a4, they are not fun if your a m6 guy.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Camaro Z
I took it out on the on ramp and gave it hell it pulled pretty good but i was expecting more Maybe it was just that i'm used to the six speed but it felt like to me that my camaro could have kept up if not beatin this GTO.
Then, you jump in a stock LT1 and it feels like it can take both your car and the GTO. Can it? Hell no.

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
Well, that's probably the most mild heads/cam setup you can get.
WRONG thinking. Not only is it wrong, it shows complete ignorance. Stick with talking about headers and "GC" oil.

The "most mild heads/cam setup" would feel like a ravaging, fire-breathing beast on the street. However, it would get passed by larger-cammed cars that feel slower on the street.

Idles at 1100 RPM you say? Lope? F.A.S.T.? Feels reserved on the street?

I bet it has a pretty healthy-sized cam in it and I bet it would rape the living **** out of your Camaro regardless of how it "feels."
Old 10-01-2007, 10:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sharpe
Then, you jump in a stock LT1 and it feels like it can take both your car and the GTO. Can it? Hell no.

WRONG thinking. Not only is it wrong, it shows complete ignorance. Stick with talking about headers and "GC" oil.

The "most mild heads/cam setup" would feel like a ravaging, fire-breathing beast on the street. However, it would get passed by larger-cammed cars that feel slower on the street.

I bet it has a pretty healthy-sized cam in it and I bet it would rape the living **** out of your Camaro regardless of how it "feels."

dude why are you attacking him, he just wanted to get some ideas not for someone to tell him that a car that he has never been in will blow the doors off of his camaro. calm down and dont get all hyped up dude.

thanks,
mike
Old 10-01-2007, 10:22 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by COD02SS
The Hotcam? People actually waste there money on that cam?
Not really a waste of money. I think if you have it installed by a dealership, the car still stays under warranty. If it's the only cam out there you can put in your car and still keep the powertrain warranty, why not?
Old 10-01-2007, 10:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Wink

Not really a waste of money. I think if you have it installed by a dealership, the car still stays under warranty. If it's the only cam out there you can put in your car and still keep the powertrain warranty, why not?
true that, good point
Old 10-01-2007, 10:25 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are you talking about? What "wrong thinking"? What heads/cam setup is more mild than stock LS6 heads and a hotcam, outside of the LS6 heads/LS6 cam route?

And no it would not feel like a "ravaging, fire-breathing beast on the street," especially untuned. It wouldn't be much faster than my headers/gears f-body, and it doesn't feel like a "ravaging, fire-breathing beast" at all.

You have no idea what you're talking about. So many words and you said absolutely nothing useful.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:54 AM
TECH Resident

Im going to say that it was because of the A4. You drove it on the highway, not exactly where the car shines(from a roll per-say). My buddy has an A4 ls1 goat and with headers, catback, CAI, and a tiny stall(2800) is running 12's easily. They werent built for all out speed or drag racing, the 3800lb weight and IRS shows that. They are what they are; a nice, comfortable, reasonabily stylish sport coupe. If you want a badass sports car that kills everything on the road, in stock form...a GTO is not for you.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:00 AM
TECH Veteran

What are you talking about?
Choko, you hardly know what anyone's talking about. Have you even ever been in a 10 or low 11-second N/A F-Body? Nope. It's quite apparent that you don't know how many if not most of the faster N/A cars react on the street, and, that you don't even have a clue how small (mild) cammed cars react. Here's a clue: small cams most often "feel" faster than huge cams. They also idle better and at lower RPM.

You cannot go by how a car "feels."

You're ignorant and its obvious with your posts. Like I say, just stick to going all fanatic over your favorite oil.

At least you're staying out of the forced induction forum. Your fanatic arguments over there are ridiculous.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jamesSS
Im going to say that it was because of the A4. You drove it on the highway, not exactly where the car shines(from a roll per-say). My buddy has an A4 ls1 goat and with headers, catback, CAI, and a tiny stall(2800) is running 12's easily. They werent built for all out speed or drag racing, the 3800lb weight and IRS shows that. They are what they are; a nice, comfortable, reasonabily stylish sport coupe. If you want a badass sports car that kills everything on the road, in stock form...a GTO is not for you.
im with him, i have an 04gto m6 and it blows the doors off autos with same mods on a roll. their 3rd gear is SO long.

its also possible that he wasnt running a proper nitrous setup and he killed it..
Old 10-02-2007, 04:57 PM
TECH Junkie

I test drove a 6.0 and beat the hell out of it, to make sure the trans was good and everything esle was, and the sales let me take it by my self..

Car had nice power, OEM tires with good tread on a nice day

Spun 1st good from a roll, and power shifted secound and it was still spining and got side was and chirped 3rd, very nice for being stock

Interior was amazing! I like them alot, nice cars awsome daily
Old 10-02-2007, 04:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Choko, you hardly know what anyone's talking about. Have you even ever been in a 10 or low 11-second N/A F-Body? Nope. It's quite apparent that you don't know how many if not most of the faster N/A cars react on the street, and, that you don't even have a clue how small (mild) cammed cars react. Here's a clue: small cams most often "feel" faster than huge cams. They also idle better and at lower RPM.

You're ignorant and its obvious with your posts. Like I say, just stick to going all fanatic over your favorite oil.

At least you're staying out of the forced induction forum. Your fanatic arguments over there are ridiculous.

You should see what this guy posts in the damn street racing section it makes you want to

If you never owned or driven a low 12-11 sec car then you really cant comment about anything, also if you never drove a big cammed car you shouldnt be talking about it
Old 10-02-2007, 05:12 PM
Launching!

I'm pretty sure my small cam(stock) doesnt feel as fast as my buddy's trex in his car...I belive your statement is false.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:46 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by boostedbuford
I belive your statement is false.
His statement can be false but it can also be true. It depends on the specific setups. For example:

Car "A" has all bolt ons, T-REX cam (242/248 110 lsa) and a Yank PT4400 stall.

Car "B" has all bolt ons, 220/220 114 lsa cam and Vig2800 stall.

There is no doubt that car "A" should beat car "B" in a drag race. Car "A" should also beat car "B" from a roll race on the street as well. Car "A" should also dyno higher and so on.

BUT

Drive both cars in stop and go street traffic where the speed limit is under 45 mph and while using less then half throttle on acceleration. Car "A" is setup for top end power with a big stall while car "B" is setup for good low and mid range power with a more streetable stall.

So under those conditions car "B" will accelerate faster and smoother around town while car "A" might buck, surge and feel sluggish due to the bigger stall being much "looser". So on a moderate cruise around town car "B" would feel faster. But drop the hammer and it's all about car "A" again.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What are you talking about? What "wrong thinking"? What heads/cam setup is more mild than stock LS6 heads and a hotcam, outside of the LS6 heads/LS6 cam route?

And no it would not feel like a "ravaging, fire-breathing beast on the street," especially untuned. It wouldn't be much faster than my headers/gears f-body, and it doesn't feel like a "ravaging, fire-breathing beast" at all.

You have no idea what you're talking about. So many words and you said absolutely nothing useful.
Choco what these guys are saying is smaller cams usually have better low end torque and feel stronger than bigger cams. The ls6 cam if i'm not mistaken is on like a 117 LSA or something like that so it want feel as strong down low...its power will come on later in the rpm range but i'm gonna guess that it would still pull your car pretty good up top especially with the heads to match.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by boostedbuford
I'm pretty sure my small cam(stock) doesnt feel as fast as my buddy's trex in his car...I belive your statement is false.
I've both been in and drove on the street a cam-only Trex (M6) Camaro that felt fast as hell.

Gears were low as hell too.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
my 05 felt sluggish when i first bought it. honestly it felt like ****. it was almost embarrassing. but a few miles and a tune really woke it up. ls2 GTOs pull pretty good in mid range RPMs for what they are i think.
I don't think yours would be the only one. A friend of mine has an LS2 GTO and none of us could get that car to trap any higher than 104 and it has cat back exhaust. I guess it also needs a tune because i would think it would at least be even with my car or maybe a little faster.

Quick Reply: Test Drove a Modded GTO ( not impressed )