General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Test Drove a Modded GTO ( not impressed )

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 10:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Test Drove a Modded GTO ( not impressed )

For the hell of it i stopped by a local Dealership and looked at an 04 GTO in the lot. It looked really good. It had an 05 hood and some nice wheels. I got in it and the keys were in it. So I started it up and I was shocked when i noticed a cam lope. I was pretty excited so i popped the hood. Turns out these were some of the mods.

-Fast 90/90
-Hotcam
-Ls6 heads
-SLP Longtubes
-3000 Stall
-and an unknown shot of nitrous (empty bottle)

This car was very well done and only had 8,000 miles on it. Turns out it was a lease car and the previous owner did all the work on it in three years then had to give it back!....DUMB Guy. Traded it in for a Malibu Max haha..But anyways back to the story.
I took it out on the on ramp and gave it hell it pulled pretty good but i was expecting more Maybe it was just that i'm used to the six speed but it felt like to me that my camaro could have kept up if not beatin this GTO. Do they really wiegh that much or is it just the auto thats misleading? But anyways it was a really nice car and the GTO's are very well put together. Just thought i'd share my story. Not to often do you find a modded up LS1 at a dealer.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:27 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, that's probably the most mild heads/cam setup you can get. Honestly, the hotcam and LS6 heads probably barely made up the weight difference between an f-body and a GTO. That package would give you about as much power as an LS2 GTO. So basically, you just drove an LS2 GTO with headers and a 3000 stall. Really, that's not much faster than a full intake/exhaust f-body. Who even knows if the GTO was tuned.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
Well, that's probably the most mild heads/cam setup you can get. Honestly, the hotcam and LS6 heads probably barely made up the weight difference between an f-body and a GTO. That package would give you about as much power as an LS2 GTO. So basically, you just drove an LS2 GTO with headers and a 3000 stall. Really, that's not much faster than a full intake/exhaust f-body. Who even knows if the GTO was tuned.
+1 On that observation.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:34 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah good point, I'm pretty sure it was tuned it idled at about 1100 rpm and ran smooth. But yeah i just wasn't that impressed and wouldn't take it over my camaro. The fun factor just wasn't there. I'm sure the nitrous would have been pretty fun though
Old 09-24-2007, 11:46 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro Z
Yeah good point, I'm pretty sure it was tuned it idled at about 1100 rpm and ran smooth. But yeah i just wasn't that impressed and wouldn't take it over my camaro. The fun factor just wasn't there. I'm sure the nitrous would have been pretty fun though
I've heard guys speak of running the hotcam without a tune and it running just fine on the stock tune. I wouldn't be surprised if the engine wasn't tuned at all...but just because it runs okay doesn't mean there aren't gobs of power on the table, know what I mean? My car's running fine after my header install but I can tell there's a lot of power to be squeezed out of it with a tune and my internals are all stock.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:07 AM
Teching In

I've heard guys speak of running the hotcam without a tune and it running just fine on the stock tune. I wouldn't be surprised if the engine wasn't tuned at all...but just because it runs okay doesn't mean there aren't gobs of power on the table, know what I mean? My car's running fine after my header install but I can tell there's a lot of power to be squeezed out of it with a tune and my internals are all stock.

Yup.

My car is running with no tune right now and that is with new internals, cams, and a blower. Still ildes just fine and runs great. However you can tell there is tons of untapped power at the moment.

Next month (if all goes right) It will be tuned. Till then it runs just fine. No idle issues, no check engine lights, no tapping or odd noises.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^ I hope you are staying out of WOT, for the motor's sake.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:26 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,238 Posts

An auto trans LS1 car (including GTO) will NOT idle well with a hotcam and no tuning. M6 idle speed is higher, and there is no "in gear" idle, so they are much easier to live with on a stock tune with a cam.

1100rpm idle would not be stock for an A4 GTO.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i would say that the chump that owned the car before you prob messed with the idle screw on the TB. The car def. should not be idling that high so i figure the car is prob not tuned and hes got the TB slightly opened just to keep the car running .
Old 09-25-2007, 09:38 AM
Banned

The Hotcam? People actually waste there money on that cam?
Old 09-25-2007, 11:08 AM
12 Second Club

I've found that the autos tend to be a little misleading as well. A friend of mine on here runs his 6 speed at 13.3 and I'm runnin 13.4's and his feels night and day faster.

People get in my car and ask me "What's wrong with it?" ...It feels that slow.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by stevegrizzle
^ I hope you are staying out of WOT, for the motor's sake.

I never really even drive the car. I take it to work 2 times a week and thats about it (work in wesley Chapel). Other than that I take it out to the gym on Sundays and to go and wash it.

It very rarely ever see's WOT or even half for that matter.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was not impressed when i test drove a ls2 gto. i was going to buy the car but decided to go with the ta. don't think that gtos are worth the money
Old 09-25-2007, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Arrow

Originally Posted by COD02SS
The Hotcam? People actually waste there money on that cam?
Didnt the Trans Am that won bullrun have a Hotcam?
Old 09-25-2007, 06:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by night ghost
i was not impressed when i test drove a ls2 gto. i was going to buy the car but decided to go with the ta. don't think that gtos are worth the money

my 05 felt sluggish when i first bought it. honestly it felt like ****. it was almost embarrassing. but a few miles and a tune really woke it up. ls2 GTOs pull pretty good in mid range RPMs for what they are i think.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nate's4.6
I never really even drive the car. I take it to work 2 times a week and thats about it (work in wesley Chapel). Other than that I take it out to the gym on Sundays and to go and wash it.

It very rarely ever see's WOT or even half for that matter.
Cool man, your car sounds sick. If you ever know of any fbod meets pm me. I have no car friends around here I just moved back from TLH
Old 09-26-2007, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Camaro Z
For the hell of it i stopped by a local Dealership and looked at an 04 GTO in the lot. It looked really good. It had an 05 hood and some nice wheels. I got in it and the keys were in it. So I started it up and I was shocked when i noticed a cam lope. I was pretty excited so i popped the hood. Turns out these were some of the mods.

-Fast 90/90
-Hotcam
-Ls6 heads
-SLP Longtubes
-3000 Stall
-and an unknown shot of nitrous (empty bottle)

This car was very well done and only had 8,000 miles on it. Turns out it was a lease car and the previous owner did all the work on it in three years then had to give it back!....DUMB Guy. Traded it in for a Malibu Max haha..But anyways back to the story.
I took it out on the on ramp and gave it hell it pulled pretty good but i was expecting more Maybe it was just that i'm used to the six speed but it felt like to me that my camaro could have kept up if not beatin this GTO. Do they really wiegh that much or is it just the auto thats misleading? But anyways it was a really nice car and the GTO's are very well put together. Just thought i'd share my story. Not to often do you find a modded up LS1 at a dealer.
fill the bottle. try again.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
my 05 felt sluggish when i first bought it. honestly it felt like ****. it was almost embarrassing. but a few miles and a tune really woke it up. ls2 GTOs pull pretty good in mid range RPMs for what they are i think.
Thats weird... i test drove an 05 black/black at a dealership a while ago and it felt really strong. I blew the tires off in 1st and going into 2nd and chirped them going into third. Felt very strong, of course i didn't have my Z28 then but I was very impressed with it from the 04.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:56 PM
11 Second Club

HOTCAM+NO TUNE=NO IDLE

I have a hot cam in my car (untill I can aford to the valve trian for my new cam)
anyway mine is an auto and runs damn good traps 112
Old 09-27-2007, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Six speeds always "feel" faster than autos. At least thats always been my experience.

Quick Reply: Test Drove a Modded GTO ( not impressed )