General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Driving an LS1 in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 03:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
Five Indiana winters as my daily driver
38 mile one-way commute to work (3/4 state/side roads; 1/4 interstate)
Stock Goodyear tires
No added weight in the hatch area
NEVER missed a day of work

It can be done. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
...+1
Old 10-04-2007, 06:55 PM
On The Tree

I've been driving rear wheel drive camaros in the winter for the past ten years, never had a problem, knock on wood. I've only driven an ls1 powered car for three winters though, with all season tires and ASR traction control. I don't think I'll use it much this winter though, I have a Subaru that makes driving in the winter fun.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:12 PM
Launching!

my camaro was cake to drive in the winter, just dont park on ice with an incline or you will need a push. blizzacks will make it easier but i did fine with fuzions, 3 70lb sand bags and 1/2 tank or more of gas and you wont have hardly any trouble as long as you are carefull. this was in north dakota/minnesota/wisconsin winters so lots of snow for my cars.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

snow and fast cars = amazing donuts.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:49 PM
TECH Addict

It can def. be done but I can say this and think I speak for everyone that takes great pride in their LS1, you're nerves will be shot by the time spring comes haha.
It made me soo nervous.

Spend 300$ and get a POS beater.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For winter I bought blizzak snow tires all around....i've driven in some pretty bad conditions and survived solely due to them. If I had the money I would get a beater though..... (NJ winters suck)
Old 10-07-2007, 12:41 AM
TECH Addict

As far as getting traction as long as you have the TCS on and don't drive like an *** hat it should be fine. I've driven plenty of RWD cars in the winter. However I would be more concerned about the salt factor especially here in NY. One winter is all it takes for nasty NY rust to start forming. I'd get the F-bod and a little beater.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:15 AM
11 Second Club

I drove my friends lowered 2000 ss in the snow fine with 245 high preformance snow tires, once the snow was gone i burned them off in my car.... snow tires make lotta smoke
Old 10-07-2007, 01:49 AM
Race Fan

Driving in the snow isn't bad. I had kept my 255 kumho excsta summer performance on in the rear and 245 all season kumhos in the front didn't have a problem last winter in chicago. I delivered for jimmy johns at the time and had no issues. You just gotta take it easy.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:06 AM

When new I drove my '02 WS6 during one winter. I survived, but the car didn't. Like many have said, it can be done with ASR and good tread all around. These days I prefer to keep my two Camaro's safely in the garage for the winter and drive my Super Duty through the fall and winter...to each his own though.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:22 AM
Staging Lane

Snow equals fun in your car. If you can drive in the snow then you can have lots of fun elsewhere. Practice holding a zig zag pattern for as long as you can. The only thing snow isn't good for is stopping.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it possible, sure it is, real snow tires on all 4 corners and 200 lbs of sand in the back hatch you can get thru all but the worst blizzards, but as someone stated, think about what the salt is doing to your car
Invest a grand in a beater, and put the LS1 away for the winter, you'll thank yourself when you don't have your LS1 rusting away in a few years, or it gets hit by some dumbass who doesn't know how to drive in the snow/ice
Old 10-07-2007, 12:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This winter will be interesting - it will be my first time driving a RWD car in the snow hehe. At least I have brand new all seasons (dunlops that pass severe snow ratings) and from what I hear SGS helps too. Probably will find some sort of dead weight to put in the hatch to help.

Would be convenient if someone hit me though - could get my driver fender and bumper replaced
I KID I KID

Odds are if someone did hit me they'd hit the other side or the rear that does not need fixed lol
Old 10-07-2007, 12:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never drove my 4th gen in the snow but drove my 3rd gen in the snow a few times. It got stuck once just down the street from my house. Bought a 4wd truck last January as was waiting for it to snow, never did. lol
Old 10-07-2007, 12:24 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by brianfromhawaii
I drove my friends lowered 2000 ss in the snow fine with 245 high preformance snow tires, once the snow was gone i burned them off in my car.... snow tires make lotta smoke
Were these 245/50 16s?? Where did he find these, since they NEVER made real snows in that size (except the Eagle M&S VRs a few years, I think, did he have these???).
Or were they 245/45 17s, which a few companies make in a real snow/winter tire??
Old 10-07-2007, 02:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It can be done, im used to it though, i love driving in the snow and with these northeastern winters we get to do it alot. Like already stated, it takes alot of concentration.

An open diff can make things interesting, it can get real hairy when all of a sudden the drive wheels switch on you for some reason, with a posi it makes things much more predictable.

LEARN HOW TO STOP, i see more accidents caused by retards who think they're SUV can stop on a dime just because its a 4wd tank that can go anywhere. Snow tires on all four corners makes a night and day difference with this. Light pedal pressure and allowing yourself lots of extra time is key.

Dont get fat snow tires, get somethin tall and skinny that will cut through the snow. "ice' tires are great, they have a super soft compound, lots of sipes and handle icey conditions way better than a regular snow tire. I have michelin x-ices for the winter and i can go anywhere.

If you want practice go get a 2wd, regular cab, long bed, big block truck with a stick lol.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:09 PM
11 Second Club

Yes they can be driven. But why rust out a good car. I bet you have all sorts of minor rust under the car now. The door jams and wheel wells will start to blister out in a couple of years. Yes it can be done. My point is why ruin a good car when you can ruin a beater and still have a nice rust free F-body. no matter how good you keep it clean you will get rust under the car. Thats one thing i do not miss about back there. I wont even look at a car east of the rockys any more just for the rust factor.

Do what you want. But i bet if you saw pics of these cars underbodys they have minor rust by now that will only get worse in time. I am not trying to pic a fight with any of you. Just going off of 15 years of winter driving in WI.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Some of us may have no choice, my fbody is my only car and I have no $$$ for any other car (let alone more insurance!) so I'm kinda stuck.

But for those with the money to do it, I would think getting something good for snow would be preferable to driving the fbody in the winter, traction-wise and rust-wise.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:34 PM
TECH Regular

I had a V6 92' Camaro a few years back, and I found out one night when leaving work that we had 4" + of snow on the ground. I decided to make the drive home, and pulled onto the street out front of my job, and cars were stopped due to cars sliding into an embankment further up the road. I tried to go after it was cleared, and I spun. I tried putting it in "1" (automatic), and it spun. People helped me push it onto a side street where I left it to dig out for 1 hour the next day. That winter was a bad winter, and we got a lot of snow. By the end of winter, I noticed that my paint didn't shine as much (it got repainted anyway later on), and that after I washed it the salt was hiding a key mark that somebody did to it. When she got painted, I bought an 86' Cutlass Ciera for $150 that lasted me 3 years, and we turfed that thing up in the snow. My 99' has never seen snow, and has probably been driven in rain about 4 times since I got it 2.5 years ago. I'd get a beater. When you pull your car out in the middle of winter when you drive it around, you will notice how shiny it is against all the other dried white cars out there. Good luck with your LS1 purchase, and sorry for the long post.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

Default No No No

I am a great driver, drove front wheel drive and awd cars on snow for many years with no problems....then tried the camaro SS on 1" of snow one day and hit a bit of ice underneath and that put me in the barrier. Stay home or get another car for snow.

Quick Reply: Driving an LS1 in the snow?