General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Driving an LS1 in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 07:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Boss Hog
You'll hear a lot of people say that you can do it, That they do it every winter. My response is that if I toss down 15 beers and drive home from the bar I'll probably get away with it and not get a DUI but does that mean I should try it??
I spent 5 years in Ohio with a 2002 Z28 as my only vehicle. I did the first winter on Eagle RSA's and had only one issue when trying to cross a snow plow "line" into an alley. I then switched to dedicated snow tires and I never got stuck. This car was lowered 1.5" or so and I ran on my Koni's and my full autocross suspension. I never had a moments trouble and I went places that people seemed to be afraid to go. You can't be stupid about it, but if you have some driving talent and patience, you can absolutely drive one of these cars daily in the snow. As long as it's not 7-10 inches of unplowed snow (you must have reasonable goals), you can do it.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:19 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeroFear
Only retards would drive an LS1 in the snow by choice. Save your money and get one in the summer. If you think about it, whats the point of even having it in the winter. Its gona get really dirty and ugly, the salt is gonna make the underside nasty, and you won't be able to go faster than 10mph. Wait until you can afford a crappy honda civic or other FWD car for the snow.

edit: BTW, I love all the heroes who say they drive in the snow with no problems. Don't listen to these guys if your smart.....
Since you are making rude generalizations.....

Actually, I am quite smart. Wanna be childish and compare GPA? (I graduated a few years ago, but still remember it.... 3.985 out of 4)

I knew what I was getting into when I bought the car. I drive it all year without any problems. Any capable driver can. Ive driven in snow high enough that the doors swept it away when I opened them. With a 104* fever once to boot. (I had to drive home from work. I found out about the temperature when I got home.) Tires, experience, and skill are the key.

Last edited by VIP1; 10-13-2007 at 10:32 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trackbird
I spent 5 years in Ohio with a 2002 Z28 as my only vehicle. I did the first winter on Eagle RSA's and had only one issue when trying to cross a snow plow "line" into an alley. I then switched to dedicated snow tires and I never got stuck. This car was lowered 1.5" or so and I ran on my Koni's and my full autocross suspension. I never had a moments trouble and I went places that people seemed to be afraid to go. You can't be stupid about it, but if you have some driving talent and patience, you can absolutely drive one of these cars daily in the snow. As long as it's not 7-10 inches of unplowed snow (you must have reasonable goals), you can do it.
x2. As Kevin said, you cannot be stupid about it, these are NOT World Rally Cars set up for the Swedish Rally round of the WRC, after all. But if the white stuff is half way up the door, and the plows are not coming through soon, NO ONE is going anywhere anyway.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cheat, not only do I have 100 less hp stock, but I have the second gear start function I can't see General Motors building a car that can NOT get through a Chicago land winter. Its all about knowing how to drive when traction is limited.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldnt want to drive my camaro in the snow. I did that for three years in a 2wd s10 and it sucked. Its not worth the stress of driving it. I had it out last winter when it just started snowing with maybe a 1/4 inch on the ground. I could break it loose at 55 in third gear. And in my driveway I could just let the clutch out with no gas and it would spin.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ZeroFear
Only retards would drive an LS1 in the snow by choice. Save your money and get one in the summer. If you think about it, whats the point of even having it in the winter. Its gona get really dirty and ugly, the salt is gonna make the underside nasty, and you won't be able to go faster than 10mph. Wait until you can afford a crappy honda civic or other FWD car for the snow.

edit: BTW, I love all the heroes who say they drive in the snow with no problems. Don't listen to these guys if your smart.....
I guess m a retard...just because you cant drive it in the snow doesnt make it imposible

Oh no, the car will get dirty....who cares...its a car and it can be cleaned...

The underneath of my car looks new and its about to go through its 7th winter in Indiana

My car drives no different then my old s10 did in the snow.

By the way, my car is a m6. All cars are going to be traction limited in the snow.

I think you just need some driving lessons in the snow
Old 10-19-2007, 07:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FiredUpZ28
I cheat, not only do I have 100 less hp stock, but I have the second gear start function I can't see General Motors building a car that can NOT get through a Chicago land winter. Its all about knowing how to drive when traction is limited.
I have the SGS too, this is my first winter with my car though. How well does SGS work? I understand how starting in second gear cuts down the torque but doesn't that also make the wheels want to spin faster starting off?
Old 10-19-2007, 11:35 AM
12 Second Club

I had to drive my car in some slush I guess you could call it, and the road was a little icey. My car did fine for the most part but the rear would want to break loose from time to time on the icey spots. Just gotta be careful, and not drive all crazy like some of the people out there. I have a dd so this winter so my car will stay in the garage for the most part.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

snow tires, I run 205/60/16 bridgestone revo one tires on firebird rims.

run them on all 4.

Truth be told, I find driving in the snow EASIER with a stick car than driving a stalled automatic car with snow tires. I used to drive an 88 Camaro with a hundred less horsepower, this year I'm up 80hp over stock so it'll be interesting to see that effect, but I've noticed no problems with rain and cold so far.

I keep 3 sets of rims for my car, 1 snow set, my stock tires 245/50/16 summer tires and my pure summer/race tires 315/35/17rear 275/40/17front combo.

Rust wise, we get dumped on and salted like crazy, I've been under the car this year a LOT and have noticed no forms of rust, just dirt. My only issue was when I was removing my exhaust to do true duals, I ended up having to break the bolts where as previously I removed my exhaust with no problems. I'm running stainless all the way to the tips so that wouldn't be an issue this time around if I have to play with my exhaust.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:31 AM
Staging Lane

You can do it. Be smart about it. Use some stock 16x8 wheels (not chrome!) and have no wider than 245 tires on the car. Use some good all season tires or snow tires. I add two bags of oil dry in the hatch for weight. I drove my car daily 60 mile round trip last winter in northern Indiana with our lake effect snow. Sometimes that was up to 6 inches in 4 hours. One time a statoin wagon and me were doing about 45 with 2-3 inches on the ground and passed a jeep doing 20! My 98 z has a m6 and no t/c and I never had a major problem. Yea taking off can be a little tough at times, but don't give it too much gas and you will be fine. As for the salt, wash the car once a week or every other week, and put a couple good coats of wax on before the weather turns bad.

I also drove a 89 firbird formula with an auto for 5 years. I only ever got stuck twice. Both times was in my parents back yard.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

u should be fine

Quick Reply: Driving an LS1 in the snow?