General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Driving an LS1 in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007 | 03:44 PM
11 Second Club

i wouldnt dream of driving my ls1 in the snow. driving my 94 v6 camaro once in the snow was scary enough.
Old 10-09-2007 | 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

i wouldnt drive mine in the snow... 2 years ago i got stuck in my driveway. then again my car has no t/c and the tires were literally run down bald... but still, as soon as it was in drive or reverse the tires just spun.

i spend about 500 bucks on a beater car and do just that... beat on it... its nice to have just liability on a car, and not care if someone dents/dings/hits your car.

even if you drive your car perfect, the chances of someone else doing something stupid and hitting your car are alot higher in snow and ice weather.

plus salt isn't all that great for your car, so your also keeping you vehicle nice and clean.

just my opinion, and i wouldnt do it ne other way.

edit...

of course the first day of snow, before they salt, i do take the firebird out (now that there is reasonable tires on it) for some fun b4 i put it away for the winter.

Last edited by 98_Formula; 10-09-2007 at 03:58 PM. Reason: f.tw.
Old 10-09-2007 | 03:57 PM
12 Second Club

Doesnt work. Atleast not with an M6. Had all 4 snow tires good years i think. Just letting go of the clutch no gas what so ever and the tires wouldnt stop spinning. Even with 300 lbs in the hatch.
Old 10-09-2007 | 06:07 PM
Launching!

I drove mine the last 2 winters with all season tires and didnt crash it at all. It did ok in the snow as long as it wasnt more that a few inches if it was my car was pretty much worthless. I plan on getting a beater this winter.
Old 10-09-2007 | 06:37 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Sux In The Winter- Period
Old 10-09-2007 | 07:04 PM
TECH Resident

What Boss Hog said is VERY ACCURATE! Only what you must realize it that with a 6-speed you're screwed with too much gas AND...i repeat AND too little gas. Anytime you shift and don't rev match PERFECTLY it will cause the drivetrain to jerk (trying to slow or speed up the car) which will cause you to lose traction in the snow. Once that happens it is literally impossible to regain traction b/c usually by that time your going sideways. If it is more than a dusting ALL BETS ARE OFF!
Old 10-09-2007 | 07:22 PM
Banned

Snow and F-body is an Oxymoron
Old 10-09-2007 | 10:46 PM
11 Second Club

How is it with snow tires only on the back?
Old 10-10-2007 | 12:10 AM
Launching!

One time I opened the garage door and peeled the cover back a little just so it could see what snow looks like. It wasn't impressed and stayed curled up on the carpet next to the furnace then reached up and pulled the cover back down.

Have a 96 Talon AWDTSI for the snowy back roads and the Camaro just can't be near as much fun.
Old 10-10-2007 | 10:46 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MillaTK
Well the time has finally come where I may be able to purchase my first LS1. I'm going to be getting a check for my truck which was totaled from fire damage, and should be getting around 12k. Anyway, I'd really like to purchase an LS1 F-body, but I'm unsure as to how it would be in the winter. Sure its not the most practical car, but I've heard its not TOO bad with good tires and an easy foot.

So what I'd like to know is how many people drive their's in the snow, and whether or not you think I should look at something else, because of where I live. If I get a good deal there is a chance I'd consider buying a cheap(~$500) beater to get me by on bad weather days, but I'd rather not rely on that. At school I'd be in the position to use the bus as well if the roads are horrible, and at home we have an extra AWD vehicle as well. So what are your opinions?
I drive a cammed/stalled/locker ls1 with slicks in the winter every year....it's not as bad as people say. I'm yet ot have an accident, or spin out, unless I of course wanted to lol.
Old 10-10-2007 | 03:53 PM
Teching In

Living in maryland, which is pretty close to NY, i would have to say its horrible driving a RWD firebird in the snow. I wrecked my old 1994 firebird v6 last winter alone, going 15 mph on a bridge up hill, the whole car slid out from under me and I had no control. I am now looking forward to this winter with my LS1... cant wait...
Old 10-10-2007 | 03:56 PM

i wouldn't recommend it, but its ur choice
Old 10-10-2007 | 04:22 PM
Launching!

I have, and will be again. My favorite are the Bridgestone Blizzak tires for winter. A set of those, and careful driving, and you should be fine.
Old 10-11-2007 | 12:34 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator
20 Year Member

I drive my 2001 Formula every winter here in New England. I use a set of Blizzak WS-50 tires mounted on cheap steel wheels.
Old 10-11-2007 | 01:19 PM
12 Second Club

The Nokian RSi & Hakka 5 are that much better than the Blizzaks that everyone swears by (and we need ALL the help we can get with these monsters in the snow/ice). The only problem is that they are very hard to come by since NO nation chains, mail order companies, or discount internet dealers carry them.
Old 10-12-2007 | 11:31 AM
On The Tree

I have driven 1 and ½ muscle cars in the snow in Michigan for 3 years with no issues. However it would be suicidal to drive without snow tires. I say 1 and ½ because I had a 04 GTO and a 96Mustang GT (1/2 a real car).

I actually enjoyed scaring everyone who rode with my in my mustang with Blizzaks on it. It was not bad at all with the right tires. The GTO was even better due to a better front/rear weight distribution.
Old 10-12-2007 | 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As has been said before, it all depends on tires and how used you are to driving in the snow. Driving an F-body in the snow is not vastly different than driving any other RWD car in the snow. It's completely doable with a decent set of all-seasons, but it can get dicey at times and you will slip and slide around a bit. Slap a good set of snow tires on an F-body and you'll be amazed at how well it does in the snow.

On the same token, don't even think about running those ultra high performance summer tires in the snow. Trust me: I hit a freak snow storm driving through NM on the I-40 with GS-D3's on all 4 wheels. Slid into a U-Haul trailer and into the guardrail. There's a reason why the Winter Performance rating category of this tire on TireRack is N/A.

My recommendation is to get a winter beater if at all possible, if for no other reason than to keep the F-body out of the salt. If that's not an option, toss some good snows on it and don't drive like a nut.
Old 10-12-2007 | 04:47 PM
12 Second Club

I have had my car for 3 years now & drive it year round in nice or bad weather. Seen lots of snow last year & I live kinda outsdie town in the country somewhat. It's really no different than any other rear wheel drive car. Just be careful & if it's your first time try it out in a empty parking lot.

Only thing I do to prepare for winter is get a new set of KDWS tires each winter. They get me around just fine. Haven't got stuck yet, expect tryin to get out of my own driveway, LOL. Once it gets moving its fairly easy as long as you got a good head on your shoulders.
Old 10-13-2007 | 06:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Only retards would drive an LS1 in the snow by choice. Save your money and get one in the summer. If you think about it, whats the point of even having it in the winter. Its gona get really dirty and ugly, the salt is gonna make the underside nasty, and you won't be able to go faster than 10mph. Wait until you can afford a crappy honda civic or other FWD car for the snow.

edit: BTW, I love all the heroes who say they drive in the snow with no problems. Don't listen to these guys if your smart.....
Old 10-13-2007 | 06:56 PM
Staging Lane

Can it be done... Yes.

But you get salt from the roads on it... causes rust and degrades the paint. The car will suffer. You will have to be careful, hell these cars are not made for that, but do what you wish.

Quick Reply: Driving an LS1 in the snow?