General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Problems at the pump. Please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 04:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problems at the pump. Please help!!!

Guys,

Aside from having to pay these ridiculously high prices, I'm having trouble
filling up at the pump. For the 3rd consecutive time, when I try to fill up, my tank will act like if it is full.

Seems like pressure builds up inside the tank, not allowing any fuel in. I say this because I've had to stick a hose into the fill tube every time and I get alot of pressurized air out. The first time I had gas blown into my face. It's becoming a hassle now. I've been getting the SES light on, but for P0440.

Any suggestions??
Old 10-11-2007, 04:47 PM
Staging Lane

theres a valve under the car besides ur gas tank. that lets the pressure out.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:17 PM
TECH Resident

sounds like a personal problem.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

That sucks man.

I've never heard of this before.

DTC P0440
Circuit Description
The evaporative emission (EVAP) system large leak test applies vacuum to the EVAP system and monitors the rate of vacuum decay. The control module monitors the fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor in order to determine the rate of vacuum decay. At an appropriate time, the control module turns the EVAP canister purge valve ON (open) and the EVAP canister vent valve ON (closed). This allows the engine to draw a vacuum on the system. At a calibrated time or vacuum level, the control module turns the purge valve OFF (closed), and tests the system vacuum. If the system is unable to achieve the calibrated vacuum level, the PCM will set DTC P0440.

Your EVAP solenoid is probably bad. Also check the fuel lines by the fuel rail. One of them is for EVAP.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by boondiggys
sounds like a personal problem.
uh!!!! O.K. Thanks, I guess
Old 10-11-2007, 05:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TheLS1Kid
That sucks man.

I've never heard of this before.

DTC P0440
Circuit Description
The evaporative emission (EVAP) system large leak test applies vacuum to the EVAP system and monitors the rate of vacuum decay. The control module monitors the fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor in order to determine the rate of vacuum decay. At an appropriate time, the control module turns the EVAP canister purge valve ON (open) and the EVAP canister vent valve ON (closed). This allows the engine to draw a vacuum on the system. At a calibrated time or vacuum level, the control module turns the purge valve OFF (closed), and tests the system vacuum. If the system is unable to achieve the calibrated vacuum level, the PCM will set DTC P0440.

Your EVAP solenoid is probably bad. Also check the fuel lines by the fuel rail. One of them is for EVAP.
Where exactly would the solenoid be? Is it under the hood somewhere, or is it on the fuel pump in the tank?
Old 10-11-2007, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Open your hood and it will be to your right (driver side).

It is right by the fuel rail. The solenoid is black with a red and blue connector.

There are also 2 fuel lines there, one will connect to the fuel rail (fuel line), the other is the EVAP line. Check and see if there is any holes in it.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine acts the same way at some stations, then it fills fine at others.

-J
Old 10-11-2007, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Read this guys.

Enhanced Evaporative Emissions testing of 1996 and newer vehicles with enhanced evaporative emissions requires more stringent testing of the fuel system for evaporative emissions leaks. Vehicles with this system use an on-board diagnostic module (i.e. Powertrain Control Module (PCM) or Vehicle Control Module (VCM) as the controller. For the balance of this bulletin, we will refer to either of these components as a module.

Enhanced Evaporative Emission tests may be performed by the vehicle's module when specific conditions are met. These conditions are determined by the calibration within the module. These calibrations are vehicle platform and engine family specific.

When the key is turned to the start or run position, the module checks the output of various sensors on the vehicle to determine when and if the Evaporative Emissions tests should be run. Refer to Engine Controls sub-section of the appropriate Service Manual for specific DTC information.

Some of the most widely used parameters are listed below:

The Barometric Pressure (BARO) is greater than a specified kPa (psi).
The system voltage is between 10 and 18 volts.
The intake air temperature (IAT) is within specified temperature values.
The engine coolant temperature (ECT) is within specified temperature values.
The ECT and IAT are within specified temperatures of each other when the vehicle engine was started.
The fuel level sensor indicates the fuel level is greater than a specified % of empty and less than a specified % of full. (For a 76 L (20 gal) fuel tank, a fuel level of more than 11 L (3 gal) but less than 64 L (17 gal) or as specified in the calibration).
Some platforms such as the Alero and Grand Am, use a miles driven check as well.
For the ECT and IAT to be within the specified temperatures of each other at the time of engine start-up, the engine will have to be in the non-running condition for a long enough period of time for the engine coolant temperature to drop from its normal operating temperature down to roughly 30°C (90°F). This could take several hours.

When the control module determines that the above conditions are met, the module tests for a leak in the EVAP system by:

• Electrically closing the vent valve in order to seal the system.

• Electrically opening the purge valve which allows the running engine to draw a vacuum on the fuel tank.

• The module then closes the purge valve, resealing the system.

• The module then monitors the fuel tank pressure sensor and determines:

- If vacuum was achieved.

- If a leak is present, how large the leak is.

- If vacuum was not achieved.

• If one of the above tests fails, the module remembers that the system failed the test.

• If the module sees a failure of the EVAP test for two consecutive tests, the module will set a trouble code for EVAP leak (DTCs P0440, P0442, or P0446).

Important: If the PCM is completing the EVAP diagnostic, filling of the fuel tank cannot be completed as the vent valve will be closed and the fuel dispenser nozzle will sense the pressure build-up and shut down. This is the expected result. No parts should be replaced as nothing is faulty. To keep from encountering this situation, it is imperative all customers and dealership personnel be advised NOT TO FILL THE FUEL TANK WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING. If the condition is encountered, turn the ignition to the OFF position for a minute. This will allow the PCM to go to sleep completely, thereby opening the vent valve.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

If your gas cap is off or loose it will throw this code also.