General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Screwed By The Va Dmv!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 02:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screwed By The Va Dmv!!

Last October the Trans am was flooded at my dads house (it was my brothers car at the time). They were going to junk it but I talked my dad into letting me buy it back from insurance agencie. I have put many hours of blood and sweat into this car to get it back on the road. I have a current inspection, the insurance company has been charging for insurance on it ever since the buy back. I noticed that my tags had expired. I tried to buy new ones and VA DMV will not sell them to me. They said once a car is declared urepairable it is illegal to repair or drive. So I call my insurance company and say that they claimed the car to be a salvage not a unrepairable. So I take all of the paper work to DMV and they tell me there is nothing they can do since once a car is labeled this unrepairable it is against state law to change the status. This car is in perfect shape!!! Ever since that god dam hurricane hit new orleans they consider any car with a little flood damage a total loss this bullshit. So any ideas on what I can due Short of a law suit. thanks
Old 07-27-2007, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

title it in another state
Old 07-27-2007, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are all of the DMV's linked together? I have the physical title in my hand from when the car was bought, but in DMV computer system It shows that title as canceled.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

holy **** that sucks man GOOD LUCK BRO!
and i'd def get a lawyer cause either the insurance company fucked you or the dmv did either way you've got a case i'm sure
Old 07-27-2007, 03:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yep your gonna have to get a lawyer or scrap the car. It's really up to you on that one. They can retitle a car, don't let them pull that ****. They do it all the time. When a title switches states and stuff it'll change from a salvage to clear title if the car is after a certain age. They just restate the title as clean because they figure on a car that's that old it doesn't matter anymore. ^^^ i agree with HorseSlayer that your best bet is to get a lawyer. They can at least tell you if you have a case
Old 07-27-2007, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This whole situation sucks, there nothing wrong with car and would hate to part it out. This the most fucked up thing that has ever happened to me. If there are any members out there with some power in the DMV I could sure use some help.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man.. I feel for ya. I HATE dealing with the DMV. At my job I have to deal with PennDOT and PA Turnpike all the time. THey are just as bad.

Just sucks that you are a taxpayer and all that, and they immediatly go out of their way to screw you. And it seems like you are talking to a brick wall no matter who you talk to. Person x tells you to call person y. Person y tells you to fill out form a and send it in. Someone from office z has the form and tells you its not the right form. Back to person y... All you end up with is a list of names and a head ache.

Good luck. DEFINETLY dont part that thing out. If anything, maybe you can sell it to someone that can either get it titled or to someone that wants it for track only. Use that money to get another car.

Hope it works out for ya! Keep us updated.

Justin
Old 07-27-2007, 07:17 PM
12 Second Club

that sucks ***!!!!all that hard work. best of luck to ya,
Old 07-27-2007, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I will keep everyone updated. I have never even heard of this happing to anyone before. According to VA law I am only aloud to sell parts not the whole thing. I will let everyone know how it ends. All I have learned from this is never trust your insurance company. If you buy a car back do not keep the title (have the insurance company do the extra paper work and transfer a new salvage title back to you if you buy the car back).
Old 07-27-2007, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Have you tried going beyond yoour local DMV office? Like calling or writing to the state office? The local office isn't going to go beyond their limited knowlege. There is always a way. Hell, write the director of the state DMV. Just be professional and calm about it.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have been very calm and professional about the whole thing. I will try a letter to the head of the VA DMV ( good idea). I also have my insurance company trying to solve the situation. Like I said before I will let eveyone know what happens. Thanks to all for the ideas, I knew this would be the place to get some good input. Hell if it was not for this sight my car would not be what it is now .

Last edited by tasilver; 07-27-2007 at 08:36 PM.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MSDRbooger
title it in another state
You have to have proof of residence in that state I live in CT but have my car registered in Oklahoma since my address on record is in OK still.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Make a track only car out of it and have some fun. Sell the interior, trash the emmissions. Buy a trailer and have some fun. Make an auto x car or strip car. Buy you a roller with good title and swap vin plates. OOOPPPSSS!!!! That is illegal, right.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Second thought trade it for a car with a good title.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am waiting for the insurance company to fix the problem since they should have known about the title and not just let me think that the original was fine(+the fact that I have been paying for insurance on the car nonstop since the flood). I do not think you can insure a undriveable car! My next route is to contact one of those title agencys that claim they can title any car. Then let the insurance company pay the bill . I am sure I will work it out.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lookin4aTA
You have to have proof of residence in that state I live in CT but have my car registered in Oklahoma since my address on record is in OK still.
My dad owns the company and his residence is in Florida(car is in the companys name). So like I said before are all DMV's records linked?
Old 07-28-2007, 05:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DMV's have available an online system(NMVTIS - National Motor Vehicle Title Information System) through which they can share title information electronically, last I saw though most states are not hooked up to it. States not sharing the information electronically share title information via snail mail/etc. Very few states that do not designate 'salvage' titles anymore - feds been pushing for it......
Old 07-28-2007, 02:59 PM
12 Second Club

I would hate to see you scrap a perfect car. Even the fixable ones are hard to let go imo. People think their easily expendable but down the road theyll wish they treated it like the very last one. Good luck with the situation I hope things work out for you.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:50 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can't drive a repaired car then what the hell is the purpose of a Salvage title? It would make no sense to ever issue a salvage title if what they're telling you is true. This whole thing smells bigtime of incompetence within the DMV.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well good news. I had my insurance company mail all of the paperwork to the DMV again last week. I called the DMV and they are in the process sending a certificate of salvage to my insurance company. The DMV said once the insurance company sends this to me all I have to do is take my receipes for materials and shops I had do some of the work the certificate to any DMV office and they will give me a salvage title . They said the whole process should only take a few weeks . I should have my car back on the road in a month.

Quick Reply: Screwed By The Va Dmv!!