General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

One less SOM WS6 on the road, I might have totaled it

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 08:20 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Supras can be fast, but they are ugly little cars with a shitty exhaust note. On the other hand, F-bodies, Vettes, and Mustangs all look & sound cool, and can be every bit as fast. Yes, I realize that's mostly opinion... but it's a good opinion!
lol thats funny. I absolutely love my '02 SS and my FAVORITE American cars have always been the Camaro and Vette (My logic is just I can take the Camaro, use the price difference of the two as mods and kick the **** out of any Vette). But yet, my DREAM car has always been a '93-'94 Toyota Supra I think they're beautiful (plus you dont see them often*coughC5FBodycough*).

Anyways good luck on whatever you choose to do, best thing is that you're okay.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:37 AM
TECH Resident

Honestly if it was me, i would buy it back and rebuild it. But thats just me. I woulda liked my car even more if i didnt have the monthly payment. And you can put full coverage on a salvage title vehicle. a buddy of mine bought an 04 chevy for 14k savlage (fixed) and ended up rolling it 2 months later, Insurance paid him 17K for it. lol nothin like makin 3k more than you paid for it.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:52 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay-SS
lol thats funny. I absolutely love my '02 SS and my FAVORITE American cars have always been the Camaro and Vette (My logic is just I can take the Camaro, use the price difference of the two as mods and kick the **** out of any Vette). But yet, my DREAM car has always been a '93-'94 Toyota Supra I think they're beautiful (plus you dont see them often*coughC5FBodycough*).

Anyways good luck on whatever you choose to do, best thing is that you're okay.
Well, beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder. But I guess I can understand; I also love some cars that don't have anything in common with F or Y bodies...

I love Grand Nationals (or any other Turbo Regal trim level). To some, they are just boxy looking mid-'80s coupes, but to me they just ooze beauty.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry to hear about your car, but hopefully things work out in your favor. An electron blue z06 is exactly what i want If i was you i would get a gun and go kill bambi
Old 11-02-2007, 08:24 PM
Staging Lane

if the insurance totals it, and you buy it back. the title will not be a salvage cause it will have never changed from your name. so if its totalled and not to bad just buy it back and fix it. just my opinion. good luck though
Old 11-02-2007, 10:07 PM

Any word on the fate of the car?
Old 11-02-2007, 10:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bowtieboy10
if the insurance totals it, and you buy it back. the title will not be a salvage cause it will have never changed from your name. so if its totalled and not to bad just buy it back and fix it. just my opinion. good luck though

When you go to re-register it, even in your name, it will be a salvaged title and in will show up on vin check and carfax since it's been put in as a claim on insurance (if they deem it salvaged).

That's a freaking sexy car and I hope whatever happens is in your best interest. That's what we all pay thousands for is insurance so try and get all you possibly can out of it. Oh and PICS????
Old 11-02-2007, 10:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Well, beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder. But I guess I can understand; I also love some cars that don't have anything in common with F or Y bodies...

I love Grand Nationals (or any other Turbo Regal trim level). To some, they are just boxy looking mid-'80s coupes, but to me they just ooze beauty.

oh ya dude! a nice 86 black T-Type Regal would give me a simi for sure!
Old 11-02-2007, 11:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by andrew69_04
Honestly if it was me, i would buy it back and rebuild it. But thats just me. I woulda liked my car even more if i didnt have the monthly payment. And you can put full coverage on a salvage title vehicle. a buddy of mine bought an 04 chevy for 14k savlage (fixed) and ended up rolling it 2 months later, Insurance paid him 17K for it. lol nothin like makin 3k more than you paid for it.
Hmm I was told you couldn't put full coverage on a salvage car. Good to know though.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:19 PM
TECH Resident

Nothing a plasma cutter and a four link back half can't fix.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Rowin Gearz
Any word on the fate of the car?
The car is sitting at a local body shop that I trust 100% and they said they would be able to get to it either yesterday (Friday) or Monday. I got the paper from the appraiser and so far with just body work, parts, and labor it comes to $3k. We shall see what the body shop comes up with.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that damage aint nothing at all. the only reason that tail light is like that and bumper is beacause the 1/4 pannel is twisted and the rivet spoped out of the bumper on the edge letting it sag. thats an easy fix.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:43 AM
TECH Junkie

My dad went down yesterday to check it out, here are some pictures.

See not bad damage, but it's what you can't see that I'm worried about. My dad wasn't able to open the hood because the car was locked, and that's where I'm worried. They said the car would be moved into the building later and work will start on Monday.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:30 AM
On The Tree

square + staight concrete floor,4 jacks,measuring tape,string /tapered metal pointers,
you may need grinder,chisel,welder if the diff mounts are ripped off.refrrence hub to hub distance ,start off with the good side as a base refference,inspect the magwheels use the worse one for the spare
that way you need only buy one rim worse come to worse,you could also heat up around the dent and pull out with a good suction puller heat towards the top,heavy rubber mallet to hit the floor back down(carpet off).take your time +good luck.

Last edited by oz304; 11-03-2007 at 07:37 AM.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:43 AM
TECH Junkie

make sure the shop uses GM parts for everything, not aftermarket crap. i would assume it would be more than 3k to fix all that though. i got rearended by a guy and the only damage was to the rear bumper and cracked a taillight, and it was more than 3k for everything
Old 11-03-2007, 11:02 AM
TECH Regular

I don't see how that could be totalled. I had a 92' RS that was rearended and the whole back half of the car needed to be put on a frame machine, repainted, and stretched out and that wasn't totalled even though it had nearly 100k on it and it was 11 years old. Unless there's frame damage (which it doesn't look like), its gotta be fixable. If its not, thats a really nice car thats going to be put down. If I was you, I would fix it if the insurance company gives you the choice. If you wanna get rid of it after its fixed, I'm sure somebody would take it off your hands on this site.

Edit: I just realized you basically said you were gonna fix it, good call!
Old 11-03-2007, 11:04 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,277 Posts

I think $3k is a low estimate, if there is frame damage.

Depeding on how deep the scratches are underneath all that mud, the whole car may need to be repainted (if you want it to look good again). All that paint + body panel repair and frame repair will equal more than $3k, IMO.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:07 AM
TECH Resident

Well IMO theres no way they will total that. You will need to probably just get a new quarter panel. Your body lines look real nice still. Frame damage, if any its mild. They wont total that car which is good news. Those SOM ws6's look bad ***.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:23 AM
On The Tree

damn i can't believe they would charge 3 grand for that. if the tires weren't popped you could easily drive away. take her to the car wash and it'll look clean then all there would really be is that dent and the moulding. the moulding can't be more then a couple hundred painted and the dent...is the only expensive thing but how the hell can it cost 2 grand to pull a dent out like that.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

i was also in a 240sx once that hit a deer head on at like 45mph and the only damage it did was dent the pop up headlight. the deer flew over the car and off to the side. i couldn't believe it.

Quick Reply: One less SOM WS6 on the road, I might have totaled it