General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

SS Camaro or 2001 Cobra?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 11:49 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Since this is posted in the General LSX Discussion Forum, your answer needs to be the Camaro. That other brand you're considering can be discussed in the Racer's Lounge.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle Moore
might step on a few toes here, but i would stay away from the WS6 trans-ams. if you are even CONSIDERING doing any autocross or roadracing, the added weight of the WS6 package over the SS package will kill you. the fact that fully optioned WS6es are close to 4klbs makes me sad in the pants. i love their looks, but for someone like me (road-race-wannabe/ autocrosser) the weight is a big turnoff.
Let me see if I have this straight... Your telling someone to NOT buy a WS6 because it weighs 4000lbs (Which it is nowhere near...try maybe 3600ish for a loaded 'vert. Most are closer to 3400.) and then later in the post you recommend a 2003-04 Cobra which DOES weigh nearly 4000lbs. Did I miss something?
Old 11-02-2007, 02:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Benjamin Russick
Let me see if I have this straight... Your telling someone to NOT buy a WS6 because it weighs 4000lbs (Which it is nowhere near...try maybe 3600ish for a loaded 'vert. Most are closer to 3400.) and then later in the post you recommend a 2003-04 Cobra which DOES weigh nearly 4000lbs. Did I miss something?
Old 11-02-2007, 02:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 88blackgt
how are cobras mass produced? not only was it a limited production car, but all the motors were hand built. cant say the same for the ls1.
The 2000 Cobra R was a special edition. Only 300 were made and were stripped built for racing with a ton of aftermarket parts.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:39 PM
12 Second Club

MUSTANG<CAMARO
Old 11-02-2007, 02:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 88blackgt
how are cobras mass produced? not only was it a limited production car, but all the motors were hand built. cant say the same for the ls1.
The motors are only partically assembled by hand. They roll out so many of them every year thats its very very common to see at least one day.

Here yea go...03 Cobra coupe & vert production totals for the year 13,776.

I am sorry but that is not too damn limited if you ask me. The Cobra R is a true limited hand built car that ford makes. However the basic Cobra is not.

Heres a link so you can see the production numbers.

http://www.mustangheaven.com/Product.../cobra9903.htm
Old 11-02-2007, 03:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

let me weigh in on the weight/handling issue of the ws6. i have done quite a bit of racing autox, drag, street, and best of all wheel 2 wheel on pocono raceway with 1 of our local corvette clubs, 20 cars at a time no speed limit!... I raced in the rain 1 day and dry for another 3. car weighs less than 3400 lbs (fully optioned ws6), 2nd i outhandled and out ran vettes (c4,5and 6s), audis, hondas, 1 miata (race prepped), and stangs on the road course at pocono in the beginer and intermediate classes (only other class was advanced and u need liscensing for that) the fbody in general is actually weighted very well and the weight gives the advantage of actually keeping the power to the ground, we dont have the lift that some of the other "lighter" cars have and you can use your inertia in and out of the corners as well....in terms of stang vs fbody period the 03/04 cobra is a sick car and more refined but otherwise our fbodys are superior to the stangs out of the box *aside from the newer fit and finishing processes that are in place in 07/08....bottom line>>> used car, limited budget= drive the individual vehicle that you are spending your hard earned dollars on and then decide from there but also get each car checked by a garage bc a used car's reliability will rely on the use and abuse from the previous owner...good luck and spend wisely...
Old 11-02-2007, 03:34 PM
Banned

C. Neither! 03 Cobra ***

but if that is not an option.... then LS1... thats not even a legit question lol
Old 11-02-2007, 03:41 PM
TECH Resident

those cobras are slow. if your going to get a cobra make sure its the 03 04 yr cobra. i heard the 2001s had something wrong with them. btw a camaro ss with TDs dumped and a cam sounds better than sex.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:54 PM
Teching In

The 01s didnt have a problem to the best of my knowledge. The 99 ones didnt have the advertised hp rating, and there was a recall on that.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by That_guy
those cobras are slow. if your going to get a cobra make sure its the 03 04 yr cobra. i heard the 2001s had something wrong with them. btw a camaro ss with TDs dumped and a cam sounds better than sex.
You heard wrong. It was the 99's and they had a "fix" that fixed that.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:36 PM
TECH Regular

Correct. They were missing that whining noise the 03+ had.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ERIK@MASPORT
is this a serious post?
Hey man, just in case you didnt know the mods put this () smiley in here for the people that bought stangs...just something to think about
Old 11-02-2007, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ramairjohn2000
lthe fbody in general is actually weighted very well and the weight gives the advantage of actually keeping the power to the ground, we dont have the lift that some of the other "lighter" cars have and you can use your inertia in and out of the corners as well....
i have a bit of a problem with this. you are saying (in essence) that since it is a heavier car, it handles better? some of the "lighter" cars might have to contend with smaller tires rather than their weight pushing their tires onto the pavement. im not sure what the "lift" you refer to is, aerodynamic lift? lift due to springs/shocks compressing and rebounding?

in racing, more weight is NEVER a good thing, period. i do vaguely remember reading a thread on on FRRAX about how the weight over the front of the car helps balance the car so that you dont have to trail brake into the corners. (i think it was said by one of the CMC LT1 guys). however i will say this again, weight is NEVER a good thing in racing, period.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kyle Moore
i have a bit of a problem with this. you are saying (in essence) that since it is a heavier car, it handles better? some of the "lighter" cars might have to contend with smaller tires rather than their weight pushing their tires onto the pavement. im not sure what the "lift" you refer to is, aerodynamic lift? lift due to springs/shocks compressing and rebounding?

in racing, more weight is NEVER a good thing, period. i do vaguely remember reading a thread on on FRRAX about how the weight over the front of the car helps balance the car so that you dont have to trail brake into the corners. (i think it was said by one of the CMC LT1 guys). however i will say this again, weight is NEVER a good thing in racing, period.
While weight is a huge factor in any racing, as you have mentioned, there is obviously much more to it than that. A heavier car that has a lower central mass and larger footprint will (generally) handle better than a lighter car with a higher COG and smaller footprint. The type of racing will also favor different designs. Short, tight courses will favor a smaller, lighter, more flickable car. Open road racing may demand a larger, more stable platform (unless you can generate lots of down-force).
The F-body acquits itself quite well considering its humble suspension. For under $1000 in parts, the LSx 4th Gens can hang with some serious competition. I have Sam Strano-tuned Bilsteins, Eibach springs, 1LE sways and some BMR bits and my Z28 suprises most everyone. It doesn't quite match my Z06, but is certainly no slouch in the cornering department.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ss all the way.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

..... btw a camaro ss with TDs dumped and a cam sounds better than sex.
Well,.. I don't know about that one buddy!! I don't think I'd go that far!
Old 11-03-2007, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nate's4.6
The motors are only partically assembled by hand. They roll out so many of them every year thats its very very common to see at least one day.

Here yea go...03 Cobra coupe & vert production totals for the year 13,776.

I am sorry but that is not too damn limited if you ask me. The Cobra R is a true limited hand built car that ford makes. However the basic Cobra is not.

Heres a link so you can see the production numbers.

http://www.mustangheaven.com/Product.../cobra9903.htm
hardly fair to pick the last 2 years of svt cobras. look at the previous years, all the way back to 93. all were under 10k. 93 to 95 is about equal to just 03 or 04.

im not saying theyre rare, but theyre rare compared to an ls1 camaro, and would be somewhat more comparable to an ss.

Originally Posted by blackfang
The 2000 Cobra R was a special edition. Only 300 were made and were stripped built for racing with a ton of aftermarket parts.
you said cobras, didnt specify Rs

Last edited by 88blackgt; 11-03-2007 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:08 PM
12 Second Club

I almost made the worst decision of my life while looking for my SS. I waited 4 months and i couldn't find a 6speed SS and then i found an 01 cobra. The 01 cobra's almost will not do a burn out and they when driving them they feel like they dont want to go, when your in a SS (or any ls1 for that matter) the car feels like it wants to go. Almost bought the cobra but made one more 300 mile trip and found my baby. There are two things i noticed about your pros and cons. The ss is actually shorter than the cobra it just has a longer wheel base and my insurance was about $20 a month cheaper for the cobra. The SS might feel weird at first when driving it but once you get used to it you wont ever want anything else (makes the cobra feel like an import). Hands down SS
Old 11-03-2007, 08:26 PM
12 Second Club

Since everyone is talking about cobra R's what is so great about them anyway? Yea they are rare but an 03-04 cobra will run off and leave one while listening to the radio with the a/c on. NOT A BIG FAN OF THE COBRA R'S!! they look sweet and are rare but thats about it. In my opinion they should have left the 5.4's in the F-150's.

Quick Reply: SS Camaro or 2001 Cobra?