General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

An insult to ls1's! Wikipedia being biased!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 05:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ponygt65
Special breed?.....what?.......like downs dyndrome?
oooooohhhhh ****. you've gone and done it now.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1BadAction
oooooohhhhh ****. you've gone and done it now.
special as in smarter,more mature,more good looking,classier,faster
Old 11-11-2007, 12:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by night ghost
all mustangs suck, except for the 03-04 cobras...

You sound like a little kid some times in your posts

the 4.6 MACH1 motor is awasome!

But it may be small in displacement, its got QAUD CAMS! We have a push rod motor
Old 11-11-2007, 01:08 PM
Staging Lane

I have always wondered why there has been a Chevy vs. Ford dispute for the last half century. Why run off at the mouth about how bad the other is when you can simply race them?

Obviously there are cars from both factories that have made HUGE power/torque numbers and have ran times all the way into the 6 second range. SO NOW TELL ME, how is one better than the other?

A fully built car has few stock parts anyway (most not even important).

I don't like Mustangs. Before I bought my car I test drove several other cars, including the Terminator. I didn't like it. Now since I didn't like it, does that mean I have to go bashing the engineers at Ford and SVT for the **** design?

How about from now on, all the F-Body guys be a little bit humble when it comes to talking about other people's religion on four wheels. If someone wants to talk **** on the F-body, line them up. Flash some money in their face if that's how you sip your tea. A race doesn't lie.

It would be nice if a side gained some integrity for once.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:30 PM
Launching!

4.6L or 5.7L lol 5.7!!! no replacement for displacement. JK Some mustangs are aight
Old 11-11-2007, 01:35 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slick1851
QAUD CAMS!

And a torque curve like Everest.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by robster
4.6L or 5.7L lol 5.7!!! no replacement for displacement. JK Some mustangs are aight

Yea there is. A stronger motor. Well, since there are forced induction solutions on the market. You put Eagle H-beam rods in an LS1 and they are rated to 900 hp. Put the same design Eagle H-beam rods in an RB26 and they are rated to 1500 hp. Why? Because the inline cylinder design is superior to the V design.

But in this case the LS1 motor is a hell of a lot stronger than the 4.6.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bostonhatcher
Yea there is. A stronger motor. Well, since there are forced induction solutions on the market. You put Eagle H-beam rods in an LS1 and they are rated to 900 hp. Put the same design Eagle H-beam rods in an RB26 and they are rated to 1500 hp. Why? Because the inline cylinder design is superior to the V design.

But in this case the LS1 motor is a hell of a lot stronger than the 4.6.
wouldnt a reinforced Gen III iron block with strong after market rods be even stronger than a RB26, and cheaper
Old 11-11-2007, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Listen guys I wouldnt call any engine superior, just different strenghts.

Ford decided to go in one direction and GM in another....so lets end this
Old 11-11-2007, 05:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GMmexican

Old 11-12-2007, 12:30 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GMmexican

Yea, I'd say the the LSX block is one of the STRONGEST blocks ever built from a manufacturer. Good stuff.

Very well put about different directions. Obviously if everyone built a 350 pushrod motor, the competition wouldn't be very interesting. Both products have their pros and cons. But yes the LS1 overall is superior to the 4.6, but after what 1200-1300 HP? Ya, there's a lot of cars with that much power running around.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:08 AM

Why do you guys get so worked up over te truth and its not just wiki, you guys better attack all the car mags that said the 03 cobra was better then the ls1, hell while your at it goto congress and ban anyone from ever saying that using a DOHC motor is superior cause hell if i could live in the past and drive a push rod... HELL NO sorry guys truth hurts sometimes...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=0

listen guys im not here to feed the fire but you gotta face the facts, chevy uses old technolgy and alot of displament to make big numbers, and the ls1 is better then any 4.6 Motor in power its also 5.7Liters tho wiki is just stating the DOHC cobra engine is more superior and it is by defenition push rod is very old technolgy thats all the wiki ment by this dont worry you guys will be getting the 6.2L LS9 DOHC so far chevy has gotten 660BPH out of it already i think and theres still a few years left before it goes into production so who knows, maybe 700hp N/A z06 in a few years i my self am excited to see what gm can do with new technolgy and only then will i sell my Terminator
Old 11-12-2007, 03:24 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by ModularMax
Why do you guys get so worked up over te truth and its not just wiki, you guys better attack all the car mags that said the 03 cobra was better then the ls1, hell while your at it goto congress and ban anyone from ever saying that using a DOHC motor is superior cause hell if i could live in the past and drive a push rod... HELL NO sorry guys truth hurts sometimes...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=0

listen guys im not here to feed the fire but you gotta face the facts, chevy uses old technolgy and alot of displament to make big numbers, and the ls1 is better then any 4.6 Motor in power its also 5.7Liters tho wiki is just stating the DOHC cobra engine is more superior and it is by defenition push rod is very old technolgy thats all the wiki ment by this dont worry you guys will be getting the 6.2L LS9 DOHC so far chevy has gotten 660BPH out of it already i think and theres still a few years left before it goes into production so who knows, maybe 700hp N/A z06 in a few years i my self am excited to see what gm can do with new technolgy and only then will i sell my Terminator
You have zero clue, period. Old technology huh? Why don't you look up what motor was in a WWII Sherman tank, wait I'll just tell you....IT WAS A FORD DOHC V8. But go look up how long ago the DOHC was invented, you will be suprised....more so since you don't know squat about it already.

Before you start to brag about something, how about reading up on it first? ....hmmmmmk?

Peace,
Craig.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:46 AM
TECH Addict

Todays DOHC is nothing like the OHC seen in the early 1900's. Basically every aspect is different, from the oiling system to the timing system. Perhaps most of the older versions were in straight configuration, not V. Todays 8's are nearly all V. By comparison to any OHV, a late model DOHC is far newer technology. The thing is, GM has been using the basic OHV system for more than 60yrs now and nearly all other manufacturers have changed immensely. Not to be left out, GM offers an entire line of OHC engines today. Aside from full size trucks, I think they power most new GM autos.

OHC engines have advantages and clearly, GM sees this. They allow for more precisely controlled timing, may lack rocker arms altogether(saving weight and moving parts), and they make it much easier to build a more efficient engine by using multiple valves. Plus, they allow for variable timing much more easily than OHV. In a nutshell, todays OHC engines are definitely newer than OHV, technologically speaking. Old versions never saw variable timing, for example, and many of todays OHC engines were built with exactly that in mind.

GM still uses OHV because they're durable and more compact by design.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

oh man, here come the ****** idiot trolls...
Old 11-12-2007, 08:14 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

listen guys im not here to feed the fire but you gotta face the facts, chevy uses old technolgy and alot of displament to make big numbers
And what's wrong with that? Who the hell cares how much displacement they use? The LS1 makes more power in stock form (NA), weighs less, is less complicated to build or repair, and is able to get the same or better fuel economy. And it does all that with 1.1L more displacement, but why does that matter? Only thing that displacement would hurt (in theroy) would be MPG, but the 4.6L stangs don't do any better than an LS1 with MPG, so again who cares about the bigger displacement? It's not like the LS1 needs the extra displacement just to equal the 4.6L, in that case you would be correct. But the LS1 is beyond the 4.6L in terms of stock power NA vs NA.

So keeping that in mind, which engine is really superior?

IMO, I'd always rather have the older, more simple technology if it can do the job just as well or better. Personally it doesn't concern me one bit if the technology is old or not, if it works and is proven, I'll take it.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 11-12-2007 at 08:20 AM.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

listen guys im not here to feed the fire but you gotta face the facts, chevy uses old technolgy and alot of displament to make big numbers, and the ls1 is better then any 4.6 Motor in power its also 5.7Liters tho wiki is just stating the DOHC cobra engine is more superior and it is by defenition push rod is very old technolgy

They make more power using more cubes and yet they still get better gas mileage. Im having a hard time seeing the problem, old technology or not. You gotta stick with what works.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know what, this thread has enlightened me. I'm gonna go into the Conversions & Hybrid forum and ask everybody what the hell they are thinking putting LS1's into anything and everything. I will tell them of the superiorty of the mod motor even in N/A form and tell them about how people out in the real world are swapping mod motors into everything.

Come on guys get real, I've wiped my car's *** with every single N/A mod motor I have met.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:13 AM

You guys damn as hell shure know the reason you get better gas milage is not because of the engine its your gearing and the fact your a N/A 6spd all mustangs previous had 5spds they got the same city, but highway that second od just was not there then the 03/04 cobras has the 6th gear but npow they were forced induction, but who buys a v8 and ask what kind of gas milage it gets

and yes it dose work, i would never own another mustang other then a termy, (Again) long story short had a 07 GT(Auto) ran a 13.7 stock it wasnt fast enuf and it was way too much to get them in the 11s wasnt gonna spend that kind of money im still in college and working hard too make ends meet ith my exspensive hobby, anyway sold the GT thought hard about what car too get next and what would be cheaper to hit 10s
i really wanted a c5 z06 but i posted here under adiffrent name a year ago asking what it would take and can price + mods came close to 30,000$

I bought my termy for 20,000$ after looking for 4 months, i have around abnother 1,000$ into including my Borla cat-back whitch adds nothing for power, CAI, & Pulley, and ive hit a 12.4 on 8in wide walmart tires cause the guy i bought the car from thought cool rims were more important then traction, better tires i will defently shave alot more off my time hopefully high 11s if anyone lives in the NJ area ill gladly show you my shitty tires and time slip, and as for why i didnt buy a f-body for 11,000$ my buddy has a 02' TA its a cool car but dont like the extended windshield makes me think of a celica, like the mustang look much more, i really did not feel safe in the car, shakes horridly at 130+mph

Basicly i wanted to go fast for cheap, the cobra won.

besides chevy had success with the DOHC already, the 1990 ZR-1 it was just too exspensive for chevy to produce
Old 11-12-2007, 09:55 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

You guys damn as hell shure know the reason you get better gas milage is not because of the engine its your gearing and the fact your a N/A 6spd all mustangs previous had 5spds they got the same city, but highway that second od just was not there then the 03/04 cobras has the 6th gear but npow they were forced induction, but who buys a v8 and ask what kind of gas milage it gets

and yes it dose work, i would never own another mustang other then a termy, (Again) long story short had a 07 GT(Auto) ran a 13.7 stock it wasnt fast enuf and it was way too much to get them in the 11s wasnt gonna spend that kind of money im still in college and working hard too make ends meet ith my exspensive hobby, anyway sold the GT thought hard about what car too get next and what would be cheaper to hit 10s
i really wanted a c5 z06 but i posted here under adiffrent name a year ago asking what it would take and can price + mods came close to 30,000$

I bought my termy for 20,000$ after looking for 4 months, i have around abnother 1,000$ into including my Borla cat-back whitch adds nothing for power, CAI, & Pulley, and ive hit a 12.4 on 8in wide walmart tires cause the guy i bought the car from thought cool rims were more important then traction, better tires i will defently shave alot more off my time hopefully high 11s if anyone lives in the NJ area ill gladly show you my shitty tires and time slip, and as for why i didnt buy a f-body for 11,000$ my buddy has a 02' TA its a cool car but dont like the extended windshield makes me think of a celica, like the mustang look much more, i really did not feel safe in the car, shakes horridly at 130+mph

Basicly i wanted to go fast for cheap, the cobra won.

besides chevy had success with the DOHC already, the 1990 ZR-1 it was just too exspensive for chevy to produce
Weak.

How does any of your post prove that a 4.6L DOHC Ford V8 is better than a 5.7L OHV GM V8?

All you've done is tell us which car you like the looks of better and what your budget and goals are. All subjective and/or opinions. Nothing about what you've written makes an arguement for which engine is "better".

PS. As for gas mileage, forget the manual trans cars. The auto trans LS1 (with only 4 speeds) get better MPG than the new 5-speed auto in a '05+ GT.

Quick Reply: An insult to ls1's! Wikipedia being biased!