General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Totaled Trans Am :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Just Totalled Mine And Usaa Wants To Pay Me 7100
Old 12-02-2007, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got gap insurance on my new car. I have never had it before, but with a family now, I don't want any worries in the case something would happen!

I hate to hear that about your car! Makes me just hearing about it. I hope all goes well. At least you are okay, though. A car can be replaced...you can't!
Old 12-02-2007, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

NADA. Is national auto dealers association like kbb but more accurate.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:04 AM
TECH Resident

good luck getting NADA or KBB. they (at least allstate) uses Market value. Ie.. what a similar milage vehicle in your area would go for had it not been fucked up
Old 12-03-2007, 06:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
They can document. They can't record. If they record they can't use in court. Writing means much more than phone calls.
You are totally wrong and you are giving false information. Insurance companies tape converations all of the time. I work for one......recorders are attached to the phones!!!!
Old 12-03-2007, 06:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am a claim handler as well, recorded phone calls are used in court all the time, because before the recording starts the insured has to submit to it. As far as values... yes they mostly use NADA for values, they pay you actual cash value for your car, not retail price or anything. I don't know how they determine ACV exactly as I don't work in the total loss department at my company. If you need help feel free to PM me OP.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Jon5212
I am a claim handler as well, recorded phone calls are used in court all the time, because before the recording starts the insured has to submit to it. As far as values... yes they mostly use NADA for values, they pay you actual cash value for your car, not retail price or anything. I don't know how they determine ACV exactly as I don't work in the total loss department at my company. If you need help feel free to PM me OP.
Then you would know if you were being taped or not. They have to inform you as I stated or they can't record and use it in court.

Even then your lawyer, if he is worth anything, has the abililty to wave to not have the evidence admitted.

Originally Posted by qwk93ta
You are totally wrong and you are giving false information. Insurance companies tape converations all of the time. I work for one......recorders are attached to the phones!!!!

I never said they can't tape. I said they can't tape and use without your consent. Stop being a baby. Please post like an adult.

Last edited by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed; 12-03-2007 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry to hear about your situation man.. It's tough. I've been there.

I had a 99 SS w/18k miles in excellent condition that was totaled this spring. State farm offered me $12k and some change. I didn't except, so we ended up getting it appraised by this total cheese dick that valued it at $13,600 or something. I just accepted and moved on.
(took another loan and got a 2000)

Hope your situation works out better for you.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

And it's very true, that it was "only a car" that got killed, not you or anyone else so keep that in mind. - Even though I'm sure it was your baby
Old 12-03-2007, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

You are basically selling your car to the insurance co.. You don't have to accept a lowball offer from them just like you wouldn't from any other buyer. They are obligated to make you whole. This means they must pay a settlement which will allow you to buy a comparable replacement car. Don't accept a wholesale value since you aren't a dealer and must pay retail price. I've settled 4 total loss claims over the years. It took me 3 mo. to settle a claim once. The first adjuster was an *** so I refused to settle. After 3 Mo. the company had a second adjuster call me and we arrived at a fair settlement. If you can wait time is on your side. An attorney isn't likely to take a small property damage claim for a percentage of the settlement so they will want to charge by the hour. They will eat up your settlement so it's best to settle the claim on your own. Decide what a fair settlement would be and stick to it. Good luck.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
I never said they can't tape. I said they can't tape and use without your consent. Stop being a baby. Please post like an adult.

Yes you did!!! You brought the issue of consent up in a later post. The issues you have had in your own personal insurance claim(s) don't make you qualified to make the statements you have made. You are giving out bad advise.....

I don't want to see another member use your advise and get the short end of the stick in his claim.

Last edited by qwk93ta; 12-04-2007 at 06:57 AM.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

One other tip, if they start jacking you around with low ball offers file a DOI (department of Insurance) complaint on them through your state's DOI.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:11 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by PhantomR/T
good luck getting NADA or KBB. they (at least allstate) uses Market value. Ie.. what a similar milage vehicle in your area would go for had it not been fucked up

Most insurance companies have special endorsements that you can add to your policy (for additional premium) that can help you get more for your car. Stay away from telling them about your performance mods, obviously. You can add value to your car for stereo equipment, wheels and tires, paint, interior work....stick to the show car type items. I have added these endorsements to my personal auto policy for years.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Any updates OP?
Old 12-07-2007, 06:42 PM
Teching In

Yeah just picked up my insurance check today. they paid out $9,860.23. refused to go any higher, their initial offer was $9,023, the only reason they increased it was because there was only one other T/A in my local area that was 100k+ miles which was marked at $8,650. since my deductibe was $1k, the adjustor gave me $1k more than the value of that car. if there were 1998-2000 T/As in AZ selling for $15k, i would have got a check for $15k :/
Old 12-07-2007, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

You should have paid a couple of us 20 bucks to cover the autotrader fee and we could have put our cars up for sale at 15k each in your area
Old 12-08-2007, 12:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by qwk93ta
Yes you did!!! You brought the issue of consent up in a later post. The issues you have had in your own personal insurance claim(s) don't make you qualified to make the statements you have made. You are giving out bad advise.....

I don't want to see another member use your advise and get the short end of the stick in his claim.

Learn correct English Grammer. A conditional statement doesn't change the truth of the prior statement. It is still normally illegal to record people on the phone UNLESS if given permission.

Your sentence implies it is normally legal to record people on the phone UNLESS if the party doesn't consent.

I have some Sesame Street tapes you may borrow if this is unclear.
Please learn English and post like an adult.

Further, how are you qualified? This is an internet board anyways. The OP needs legal consulation if he is concerned about getting the best advise for this case under his state laws.

I would suggest he call the respective State Department of Insurance and not listen to anyone in this post. Especially, not to talk about it in public unless all is said and done.

Thank you. That is all.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mexicutioner
Yeah just picked up my insurance check today. they paid out $9,860.23. refused to go any higher, their initial offer was $9,023, the only reason they increased it was because there was only one other T/A in my local area that was 100k+ miles which was marked at $8,650. since my deductibe was $1k, the adjustor gave me $1k more than the value of that car. if there were 1998-2000 T/As in AZ selling for $15k, i would have got a check for $15k :/
thats not bad I guess but geez it does suck when u dont want to happen at all. for most of us we put our blood, sweat, and tears in them and through that we make bonds with our car and they become more valuable to us then just money.

If it were an everyday run of the mill daily driver commuter car like a honda accord, etc.. I wouldnt care as long as I recoupe the funds to go out and get another one, but still even then they should have to find you an exact replacement car for the money they are handing out and if not you should get more money in order to spend your time getting another car. time isnt free for most people and you should lose out.

I am still dealing with getting my damage money, the comapany had to come out with their own adjuster and make their own estimate, so in the first place they told me to go out and get estimates and in the end they were going to send out their own estimators which doesnt make sense to me. now I am waiting on that check and estimate in the mail. working on calling the company on filing a diminished value claim, because now I have an accident report as well as a bent frame.

I talked to the people and they said that the adjuster would take care of the DV as well but when I asked him he said no he only deals with the physical damage he sees and thats it and I would have to call some department in the company to prove I would lose money if I sold it the day after getting it fixed. So now I have the supervisors number for my area adjusters and starting on the phone Monday morning. It doesnt take a rocket engineer to know my car will not get the same amount of money pre and post accident. but I am staying firm and I have an amount I am looking for.

now hopefully u can find another car that u want for the money u got.

Last edited by MdFormula350; 12-08-2007 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:17 PM
TECH Resident

What nobody here has mentioned is you can buy your car back from the insurance company after it's wrecked.

I got in a bad wreck last month in which my 99 z28 hit a tree and flipped over a number of times. They wouldn't add for any aftermarket stuff except wheels and tires. They offered me $8600 and then I bought my car back from them for $1200. So I got $7400 and my car back. It's completely ruined exterior wise, but I'm hoping the engine and tranny are OK. And I have a MS4 cam, kooks headers, LS6 intake, LS7 clutch, and many BMR parts. Unfortuantly I got injured in the accident and haven't been able to take my car apart yet. Real injuries like ankle broken in 2 spots, bruised lungs, and bone fractures to my skull.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:20 PM
TECH Addict

Damn man.

Quick Reply: Totaled Trans Am :(