General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

HELP! Totalled SS, Need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 11:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd take them for all they are worth. Sue the mexican and his insurance company, and don't give in to anybody's offers. Your car is destroyed, you clearly have a lot of money in it, and you should have everything financially restored and you should walk away with a little more for pain and aggravation. It really sickens me to see your car like that, it looked very clean. Good luck finding a new car/fixing that one. My 92' was rear ended in the same fashion and they stretched it back out. The only difference is that my car did not have that much damage.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:46 AM
TECH Addict

can you say ouch my neck my back hahah easy $$$ there as for ur situation dont bargain threaten to sue but it may come down to you having to get a lawyer...
Old 12-07-2007, 05:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
One big misconception here is that his insurance company will back him up and get all they can for him. That is a JOKE! They are in business to make money. They dont make money from the other guys company they make it from their own customers.

Insurance companies play a handshake game that most of the general public has no clue about. You reallty think one insurance company is going to sue another?? It's in their best interest not to. They all have customers who hit each others customers. If they were all cut-throat and tried to get all they could it would work against them all the time. They'll come to an arraingment to make the insurance companies happy and nothing more.

lawsuit?? please. You ever try and sue and insurance company? Unless you have very deep pockets you dont stand a chance.

Your best and only bet are the receipts oif the parts and work that you've done.

My wide got hit in a parking lot. She was waiting in line to get out when someone just back up into her. Insurance company assigned here 30% of the blame because she was there even though there was nothing she did wrong at all.

Its all about rates. Get a tckiet they raise you rate. Get in an accident they raise your rate. Get 30% they'll add that to another % to raise your rate.

Insurance companies work together even though they have different names. Its in thier best interest.
wrong.....ins companies will do whatever it takes to keep a customer. his ins will go to bat for him to get him to stay with their company and tell others how great his ins company is. its about growth......
Old 12-07-2007, 06:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by darrensls1
That sucks man. I would get your insurance company involved and let them fight for every last penny you are entitled to. Like others have said it won't cause your rates to go up.

I have a question for you if you don't mind. How does a insurance company handle a heavily moddified car? For example, lets say someone has a LS1 with heads, MS3 cam, LT's, ORY, ect and they get in an accident that was thier fault.

Now techniqually this car is not street legal (cam is not emmission friendly and LT's with ORY violate a federal law). Do you fix the car and give a handshake, fix the car and drop the client or say sorry you are SOL for making a non-street legal car and driving it on the street?

I'm just curious.
if you can prove that the mods done increased the value of the car on a fair market then you will get paid for that. it won't be what you have in it. for example. you could come on here and quote several different car sales that are close to your veh and that would be market value.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You need to get the car fixed or replaced at their expense, period. The process is always painful and some loss to you.

Remember the car was originally welded together as a group of peices. A good shop can weld it back up to the original mounting positions for all the mating peices.

Taking 7k and the car now is a big mistake. If they want to fix it, let them (I'm guessing about 13k to fix). My guess is the process would be: a claims works with the repair shop and the price keeps going up as they find more parts that are damaged (but at this point the shop is working on your behalf).

Get the car in a shop and get them to pay for a rental until it is delivered back to you. This gets a money clock rolling on the insurance company (they cann't just waste your time once the money clock is rolling).

If they total it then do a market search for a "real comparable car in your area"and buy it.

Sorry for your loss. Glad to hear your all right though.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

sorry to hear about car... at least you're ok!! I would sue him/ins. company to the fullest possible.

GL
Old 12-08-2007, 09:43 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KENS_SS_4
You need to get the car fixed or replaced at their expense, period. The process is always painful and some loss to you.

Remember the car was originally welded together as a group of peices. A good shop can weld it back up to the original mounting positions for all the mating peices.

Taking 7k and the car now is a big mistake. If they want to fix it, let them (I'm guessing about 13k to fix). My guess is the process would be: a claims works with the repair shop and the price keeps going up as they find more parts that are damaged (but at this point the shop is working on your behalf).

Get the car in a shop and get them to pay for a rental until it is delivered back to you. This gets a money clock rolling on the insurance company (they cann't just waste your time once the money clock is rolling).

If they total it then do a market search for a "real comparable car in your area"and buy it.

Sorry for your loss. Glad to hear your all right though.

Its a 99. Insurance doesnt see it being worth 13k to begin with. My guess is they said 11,500 or less and said ok salvage is yada amount here are your options.

The way it works is they take the value of the car minus the salvage value to determine if they will fix it. I just went through this. I paid out of my pocket to keep my car on top of what insurance paid. I was within $150 of a total. Any run over came out of my pocket. I added better parts knowing I was going to have to pay.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:04 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your ride man.

Looking at the photos, that car is indeed fixable so the insurance company whether it be yours or that of the other driver will definitely not write if off as a loss. Thus the car will be repaired regardless - its just matter of how you want it to be done.

Assuming if you have not done so, I would obtain several estimates for the repair work, present these to the insurance company and go from there.

Best of luck and hopefully it'll be back on the road soon.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 35thANNIz28
i bought my totalled 2002 z28 conv. for the exact price of 4800..not bad for a semi low mileage sports car..[IMG][/IMG]

good deal, we got the trans am for $3409 but granted mine was hurt a lot worse than yours
Old 12-08-2007, 10:35 AM
TECH Veteran

This is why we need to inforce our immigration laws and jail all illegals.

Write the next president - Hillary Clinton - and tell her your thoughts.

PS - Don't bother writing Bush#2 - he loves illegals who jump the border.

Quick Reply: HELP! Totalled SS, Need advice!