General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Dailey Driver GTO??

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 06:33 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

I do not beleive that an '04-'06 GTO will ever be collectible, or have collectible value.

However, there is nothing wrong with doing anything you see fit with your own money & cars. Far be it for me to judge anyone in this respect, as I too have a garage queen that won't ever be worth big money. But at the very least, be realistic with yourself and don't expect your '04+ GTO to ever be worth more than it was new. Those cars are just not investment grade.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew04GTO
Wouldn't really say the cars are collectable, but whatever, to each his own. Do I consider them a sports car? No, its not a luxury car either. But they are a kinda sporty, can be fast if you dump large ammounts of cash into them sorta luxurious car. Hell, even Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear loves the GTO's. Lord knows he hates anything American or Australian.
Take one for a drive. Then come back here and tell us honestly your opinion.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:42 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by oct03gto
Take one for a drive. Then come back here and tell us honestly your opinion.
I've driven an '06 recently.

The car reminded me of a BMW 3-series with more power. Not a bad thing at all; it's a great driver with a nice interior and comfortable road feel + V8 power. I'm really not knocking the car at all, just saying that it's nothing more than a nice daily driver. To me, the appearance and road feel is too bland for it to ever have "muscle car" collectibility.

They are just nice daily drivers, they won't ever be highly sought after collector cars.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:20 AM
Teching In

I just needed to reply here, I own a 04 GTO and it's my garage queen. I have under 10k miles on it and it's modded pretty good too. What ever way someone uses their car is their business. Collectable? Maybe, never say never. People seem to collect everything. I'll never sell my Goat, and it goes to my wife when I go, then to my brother when she decides to give it to him. From there who knows, it looks better than the day I took it out of the showroom.

I grew up driving rear wheel drive cars, FWD cars were unheard of except for some european models, lol. So get a GTO, slap some snows tires on it, and go for a cruise!!! You'll have plenty of power with a nice comfy interior. I still get that excited feeling every time I take the GTO out...........

To each their own.........

Happy Holidays,

ROK
Old 12-12-2007, 08:33 AM
On The Tree

never lost to a camaro on the streets? you just haven't ran into the right one yet. nobody's untouchable.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:43 AM
TECH Regular

would i buy a GTO as a DD if i lived in chicago...hell no...maybe as a nice day cruser type car but not a DD...i daily mine here in NJ but i dont drive in the snow...cammed geared 6 speed cars dont really like snow...hell even when it was stock it was terrible in the snow...of course the summer tires didnt help...as for collectors value i doubt they will ever be a huge deal, but these cars mean alot to the people that own them...so their value may be more sentimental than fiscal, but they are still valuable to those of us who've owned one. they may not have that muscle car feel to them, but they are a hellova lot nice to drive around than any F-body ive ever been in. plus our window motors actually work!....lol
Old 12-12-2007, 08:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my GTO for a daily driver.

It is a car, and it is meant to be driven.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:39 AM
Staging Lane

That was my point all this gto bashing from fbody owners does get tiresome.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:57 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by socal gto
That was my point all this gto bashing from fbody owners does get tiresome.
Who's bashing GTOs?

All I've said is they're great daily drivers with comfort, luxury, and power but not any type of collector grade car. How is that bashing? Granted I've said that I find their appearance bland, and that I just don't find them as fun to drive as my F-bodies, but that's just an opinion and hardly bashing. I've never said they were 'bad' cars. Bashing is when the GTO owners consistantly go on about how F-bodies are cheap junk compared to their GTOs. I see posts like that all the time, that also gets tiresome. GTOs are not without their issues. Nothing is perfect.

I think it would be great to have a GTO for my daily driver (that's why I looked at the '06 I mentioned above), but the GTO's poor MPG just won't cut it for my long daily commute.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:12 AM
Teching In

When my GTO was new, before it was modded any and before the 250 1/4 mile passes..ha...It would average between 28 and 30 MPG highway, depending on fast I would drive....I would say that is pretty good for a 350HP V8 car....But now I still average about 26 MPG highway...

And I still dont understand why the GTO is not a collectors car...It is a rare, low production vehicle, which makes it a collectors car...And the person who is trying to collect it makes the decision on whether or not its a collectors car anyway....I mean people collect 85 T/A's....Now in my eyes...There is no way in hell I would try to collect an 85 T/A, but some people like them that much...

-Bobby
Old 12-12-2007, 10:35 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by 04m6gto
When my GTO was new, before it was modded any and before the 250 1/4 mile passes..ha...It would average between 28 and 30 MPG highway, depending on fast I would drive....I would say that is pretty good for a 350HP V8 car....But now I still average about 26 MPG highway...

And I still dont understand why the GTO is not a collectors car...It is a rare, low production vehicle, which makes it a collectors car...And the person who is trying to collect it makes the decision on whether or not its a collectors car anyway....I mean people collect 85 T/A's....Now in my eyes...There is no way in hell I would try to collect an 85 T/A, but some people like them that much...

-Bobby
My current daily driver is getting 33-35mpg with 75% highway/25% heavy city traffic. GTO would likely get low 20s in that environment, at best. Granted, they don't do bad for a heavy V8 car, but until I move closer to work I want to stick with my basic commuter car for the daily drive, just for MPG reasons.

Just because someone chooses to collect something, does not make it a collector's car. IMO, calling something a "collector's car" suggests that it will appreciate in value over the years if it's kept at low mileage and mint condition. This will likely not be the case for the GTO. They will never be a highly sought after, big dollar collector car, period. There are just too many of them. Something like a '97 LT4 Camaro SS, or an '87 GNX, or an '89 Turbo Trans Am - those will continue to appreciate and are actual "collector's cars".

A GTO will be no more the collector's car than a basic LS1 F-body is. Regardless of the condition or mileage.

I agree there is nothing wrong with making a garage queen show car out of anything that makes you happy, but please don't fool yourself into thinking it'll ever be worth a pot of gold. You will be sadly mistaken.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

DDing a GTO will be fine... Just keep a warehouse full of rear ends and IRS parts. Might want to see if you can buy stock in Harrop and BMR too. While you are at it, buy one of the ignorantly priced shifters (that look like they were designed by someone with an IQ of 30), since the one that comes on the car couldnt hit third gear under hard acceleration if the worlds fate depended on it.

oh yea, and don't expect to fit a tire on the rear that has any meat without god himself coming down, cutting a perfectly offset wheel out of billet aluminum, and rolling the fenderlips for you.

Its OK, you'll have all your GTO buddies supporting you. until you decide to sell it that is, then they stop associating with you because somehow not having a GTO makes automatically not as good as them.

I had one and would have kept it if possible, but looking back, selling it was the best decision I ever made.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:44 PM
On The Tree

Test drove an 04 gto last winter in chicago, and honestly it was no "raw" enough for me. My 02 Z28 is handling the chicago winter very well with blizzaks. In my opinion, you should get a car that makes you happy. If you have a DD that puts a smile on your face everyday, then you made the right decision. GTO's are good in the snow as long as you have a proper tire. I don't even use ASR on my camaro and it's great. * I have lived in Chicago all my life*
Old 12-12-2007, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Try this. Using the above vehicles as an example.

The GTO itself sits in the same boat as the T/A. But the options and color choices, and the #'s of each produced makes them more rare. The rarer the color and option, the more desirable and collectable they become. Just like the 89' turbo trans am, persay. If you buy a barbadose blue six speed GTO offered only in 2004. You would have 1 of 271 cars out there. Why does that alone make that car collectable.

Don't get me wrong. I have a black on black 04' six speed. There are a ton of those. Thus making that modle, color choice, and trans not as collectable or desired.

How about this one. A Pulse Red 2004 GTO is not even in the brochures. It is the only GTO color and year that has the 40th anniversery "package". Less than 800 units total between auto's and sticks. The only GTO out of all three years to have red "GTO" embosed into the seats. No other GTO colors years, or sets have tha. So only 800 sets of those seats are out there. Is this car not collectable?

Just because the car only offers one engine per year doesn't take the collectability out of it. It's when you break it down. Around 40k cars through three years. Breaking every year down with one year only colors. These are in fact a collectable. Just not the whole hurd is.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:31 PM
Staging Lane

I'm not saying you are bashing the gto, but I read alot of threads that is they seem to do. I have driven an fbody car and it feels like a boy racer car to me and really can't find the interior comfortable at all.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:39 PM
Teching In

I didn't really read through the thread but I've been driving my 04 GTO in the snow this year until I fixed the daily driver and it SUCKED. I got stuck a few times and if I went over 15mph the car would get sideways on unplowed streets. The traction control only made the car worse to drive and the tires were still spinning. Now there was a lot of ice, not only snow but in my experience it is not a good Chicago winter car. Now it will sit until the weather is nice again.

Also to the guy who said GTOs are collectible...are you on crack? These cars will never be collectible. Doesn't matter the color combo or trans option. They will never go up in value. They're about as collectible as a 3rd Gen. There isn't a big enough following.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Seems like me and RPM are the only ones who see eye to eye on this, but whatever, none of these cars would be worth anything for YEARS. That is neither here nor there. If you want a car with a good amount of giddy up and that will own any of these american cars in rain or snow... get a Audi S4, Evo 8/9, or STI. Those cars rock in bad weather, get good gas mileage, and are in the same price range. The Audi is a very refined interior and features. The Evo is the most hardcore/sophisticated in performance. The STI is in between, but with no radio so not as great on trips, but you can put one in.

I live in Chicago too, and I will be picking up one of those 3 cars as my DD.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:51 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by SchultzLT1
Seems like me and RPM are the only ones who see eye to eye on this, but whatever, none of these cars would be worth anything for YEARS.

I guess one could argue that a rarely optioned '04-'06 GTO might be worth more than it was new in 35-40 years, if kept in 100% mint condition with less than 5k miles on it. Some collector somewhere might just happen to love those cars and be willing to pay a bunch just to get one.

But in the shorter term (10-20 years), you will not see any appreciation past the effect of inflation on the price of an '04-'06 GTO. It just won't happen.

Again, I don't have anything bad to say about someone wanting to keep a low mile, nice weather only garage queen out of any car that makes them happy to do so. Just don't do it because you think a car like an '04+ GTO is a gold mine investment. There are MUCH better ways to invest money if you're looking for a profit.

Hell, I've got a '98 Z28 that sits in my garage 95% of the time and only gets used for car shows and perfect weather. BUT, I don't kid myself to think the car will ever be worth more than it is today. I keep it nice because I enjoy doing so, not with the hopes of it having "collector" value. And truth be told, if you want to go the route of considering rarity based on color and options, my '98 Z28 is 1 of 1700 in it's color for '98, and although I don't have the numbers, if you broke it down further to trans type, t-tops vs hard top, interior fabric & color, radio options, wheel options, gears, etc....my car is probably 1 of maybe 200 exactly like it. But even still, I know it's nothing collectible.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok i hate to say it but a car is a car a collection of metal, plastic and paint. now certain combonations of these things will make it better than others. ok now the GTO is a lower prodution car than most thus makeing any of them more (collectable) in years to come. would i have one as a DD yea i use my camaro as a DD and i see enuff rain and snow that i'm not happy its a DD but untill i'm outa college i'll have to deal with it. so yea a awd car will out perfor the GTO in the snow but hell ur not gonna be racing in it right?
Old 12-12-2007, 11:59 PM
Staging Lane

OK WELL I SEEM TO BE HEARING THAT THE STI WRX, AND THE EVO WOULD BE A BETTER CHOICE. WHATS THE MAINTANENCE ADN ISSUES WITH THESE??? I KNOW ABOUT THEM, BUT DONT KNOW THE RELIABILTY OF THEM. i SEE AWD BEIN EXPENSIVE TO FIX WHEN I BREAK IT!