General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

how's this for some shit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 06:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ae13291
whats the point of a car cover in the winter?? (=
keepin it out of the weather.. sure beats settin there by itself.. if your set against water, and breaking the ice.. I'd say cut the Damn car cover off...
Old 12-11-2007, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

texas rules BTW today was about 60 in the morning, then 75ish in the afternoon. and now 40's. oh also heavy fogg and heavy on off rain. a weeks worth of weather in a day
Old 12-11-2007, 06:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when my brother was 16 the first winter he drove there was ice on his windshield and he didn't have a scraper and his heater was broke (his first car) he filled up a jug of hot water and threw it on the windshield and it just exploded.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Spink
when my brother was 16 the first winter he drove there was ice on his windshield and he didn't have a scraper and his heater was broke (his first car) he filled up a jug of hot water and threw it on the windshield and it just exploded.
Even if the water is not that hot, any minor rock chip that you may not have noticed could crack the whole windshield. You don't want a sudden temperture difference. I washed my car on a warm spring day when the water coming out of the hose was still cold, windows rolled up and hot inside. A little rock chip at the bottom went wild all over the place. I could hear it and went, 'what was that?' Took one look and knew I'd made a big mistake.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:46 PM
Teching In

I'm just gonna wait for everything to thaw out. I'm not gonna sit outside with a hair dryer, or wash it down with water as it probably is a bad idea. I've found ways to get my work for finals anyways. As for keeping it outside, I don't have anywhere to put it. It's an outside car...lol. And for now it'll just be a frozen WS6. At least it won't get stolen. No big deal really, I'm just glad that now I have power back on at my house.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by apayner1
I'm just gonna wait for everything to thaw out. I'm not gonna sit outside with a hair dryer, or wash it down with water as it probably is a bad idea. I've found ways to get my work for finals anyways. As for keeping it outside, I don't have anywhere to put it. It's an outside car...lol. And for now it'll just be a frozen WS6. At least it won't get stolen. No big deal really, I'm just glad that now I have power back on at my house.
That's best to just leave it until it thaws. Pulling things off that are frozen will just turn out bad. Glad you have power back, read it was quite an ice storm. We just had some hurricane force winds here last week and power is still coming up. Still no damn cable TV though.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I think you would be fine as long as you don't rip the cover off the car.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:15 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SpaZMaN
I'll take snow over a hurricane
Bahh! Unless you've tried it dont knock it. I used to live in NH and now live in OR. I dont miss snow slush or ice at all. You can have it. I spend less to heat my house as well. Rains washes away and is gone. Snow has a few different lives before your finaly rid of it.
First of all you have to shovel. Rain goes away on its own. Snow then turns to slush so you tromping though freezing wet snow then it turns back into ice at night. The your dealing with it in the morning.
Your dealing with it from when it falls until its completely melted and gone. Rain is gone as quick as it comes. Anyone who says snow is better has never lived in both worlds. Snow is a nice decoration and fun to play with but it seriously sucks to deal with every winter.

Back on topic. That sucks about the car. Turning the hose on might make for more trouble on the plumbing and pouring water onto a car to unmelt it is not a good idea. That water is going to re-freeze. I would use a hair dryer to get into the door. If you mess up the cover who cares.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't understand why you would leave things that you need in the car in the first place? i never leave anything in my car when i get home if i need it elsewhere....ESPECIALLY my wallet.....
Old 12-11-2007, 11:58 PM
10 Second Club

Your lucky the wind was not blowing or blowing hard.. In most cases, it causes the cover the slap/rub the paint (mostly on the bottom). And well, after a while it gets into your paint.

Last edited by waterbug1999; 12-12-2007 at 12:05 AM.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
i don't understand why you would leave things that you need in the car in the first place? i never leave anything in my car when i get home if i need it elsewhere....ESPECIALLY my wallet.....
Well what can I say, i keep my small wallet in my big wallet. My car. Where it would normally be safe, but the big ice storm came and took that little peace of mind away. Next thing I know I'll be taking the bus because I forgot to lock my keys in my multi-layered vault.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

You think thats some ****...hows this for some **** ------>

just pour some hot water on there if you need in your car that bad
Old 12-12-2007, 12:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
You think thats some ****...hows this for some **** ------>

just pour some hot water on there if you need in your car that bad
I'm letting it thaw out. And it's taking a long time. It's not a christmas ham.....It's my mint 02 WS6 with 35,000 on the clock and 434rwhp.

Last edited by apayner1; 12-12-2007 at 12:21 AM.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:48 AM
10 Second Club

So, what would you do if it was hailing out?
Old 12-12-2007, 12:54 AM
Banned

Willem @ Fuel Injection Concepts's Avatar

soak it in methanol.. lol
Old 12-12-2007, 12:56 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by apayner1
It's not a christmas ham.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by waterbug1999
So, what would you do if it was hailing out?
Good question. I'm living at home while I'm going to school. And I designated my parking spot as being out to the side of the garage, as my dad parks his 07 Yukon Denali inside with my mom's 07 Eclipse GT. But if it starts hailing we can fit three cars in the garage. It just isn't practical to right now, I'm afraid my dogs will tear up the cover and scratch it. Anyways hail is a real possiblity here so it's cool that you brought that up as now I will watch the weather more closely and plan ahead.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:07 AM
10 Second Club

When I moved from Texas to Minnesota... I had my car outside for the 1st few months of the winter with a cover on it. I have the SLP car cover, everytime when it gets windy, it left scratches on the car and seeing snow on it just killed me.
So, I rented a garage for cheap just to keep it out of the weather as up here, you cant drive any sportscar during the winter.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:22 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by waterbug1999
When I moved from Texas to Minnesota... I had my car outside for the 1st few months of the winter with a cover on it. I have the SLP car cover, everytime when it gets windy, it left scratches on the car and seeing snow on it just killed me.
So, I rented a garage for cheap just to keep it out of the weather as up here, you cant drive any sportscar during the winter.
I just got it two weeks ago and I'm hurting thinking of everything that could happen to it as my D/D. I can't lock it up, I have to drive it. I want to drive it, that's what it's for...lol for me to drive. I just wish it was summer already.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 87gnx
umm, don't ever use hot water because if it touches you glass it will spiderweb(crack) it.
+1