General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

New here and have a title question

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 02:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here and have a title question

I recently purchased a 97 trans am with a prior salvage title. I have been told by some backwoods ol' boys that you can sell the car to a relative out of state for a dollar, and when they resell it to you for a price (hopefully a dollar), that the prior salvage wording on the title will be removed? Does anyone know if this is true, and if not if there is anyway to get the title cleared up?
Old 12-16-2007, 03:17 AM
Teching In

I realize that I probably posted in the wrong thread because my 97 has the LT1 and I opologize, but I need some answers. If someone wants me to post elsewhere let me know where and I gladly will do it. Thanks.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:40 AM
TECH Addict

Why do you want the salvage part removed from the title?
Old 12-16-2007, 09:14 AM
Teching In

Doesn't the salvage title hinder the resail value? I know you can tell a lot of times if a car has been wrecked by looking at body lines and stuff, but it's obvious if the title says salvage. And I don't know about anyone else but I would be willing to give more for a car that didn't have a title saying salvage.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so you want us to tell you how to screw someone over? i hope your car blows up.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

wow, so much for honesty and integrity
Old 12-16-2007, 11:51 AM
On The Tree

Thats called title washing, and its very easy to detect. Carfax, Autocheck, and the NICB can all show it in their reports. Im almost positive you can be arrested for it. Im a claims adjuster and Ive caught it many times in the past.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:17 PM
Teching In

I'm not trying to screw anyone over. I don't even have any plans to sell the car as of now, that's why I have been looking into upgrading the cam and heads in the LT1 I thought that if the car was titled out of state it was reinspected by the highway patrol. I was told that if a vehicle is reinspected it is possible to have the salvage wording removed. I knew about carfax and those places also, but I thought if the vehicle was inspected and the title changed it would show up clean on a carfax or any other vehicle history. Thanks for the comment on title washing, I had no idea that it was illegal. You guys could have been a little easier on me with the infor though, I know I'm new but jeez I'm not trying to screw anyone.

Last edited by 97bandit; 12-16-2007 at 12:19 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-16-2007, 01:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 97bandit
Doesn't the salvage title hinder the resail value? I know you can tell a lot of times if a car has been wrecked by looking at body lines and stuff, but it's obvious if the title says salvage. And I don't know about anyone else but I would be willing to give more for a car that didn't have a title saying salvage.

if your not planning to sell it, then who cares if its got a salvaged title. that post makes it look like ur trying to screw someone over
Old 12-16-2007, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

my car has a R title but with all i've done to it it looks better than alot of cars with clean titles. i wouldnt worry about it if you ever sell it, say it has a salvage title. if everyting is fixed correctly it shouldnt matter.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97bandit
I'm not trying to screw anyone over...
So you would be fine with someone selling you a car and hiding the fact that it was salvaged? Not trying to judge you here...it's easy to justify things to yourself, but look at it objectively and put yourself in the buyers shoes. I feel your pain though, I have my tbird that I got years ago about 30% below book because of a salvaged title. Now it's harder to sell becuase of the title, but that's why I got it cheaper than a non-salvaged car.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:06 PM
11 Second Club

That depends on the state you live in cuz here in Texas there is a legal way u pay to get it reinspected by the state to get the salvage title changed(if it meets requirements)! I always buy salvage titled vehicles and have never had one come out bad. Con's of salvaged vehicles are way less miles than clean titled vehicles and that you get a better deal buying them cheaper (cash money) so I never have to worry about payments and some repo guy trying to take my car back!
Old 12-16-2007, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Hey guys thanks for all the feed back, both positive and negative. I have learned a lesson in my first few days on the site; I need to watch my posts and the wording. And it must have been Texas I heard about that you could get you car reinspected, but I hear what most of you are saying about as long as it's mine why would I care if its salvage title. Thanks guys I look forward to hearing more of the sites users advice down the road.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:46 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I bought a '95 Firebird earlier this year off of ebay. It was an out-of-state car, and it had a rebuilt/salvaged title. To get it plated here in Indiana, I had to have a police officer come to my home to run the VIN (There was a $5.00 charge for that). The officer also had to note a few items on the vehicle such as the engine ID number and/or body ID number. I have to submit a photo of the vehicle, and list all the things I did to the car to make it road-worthy again to the BMV in order to get plates for it. Funny thing is the car was in good condition and was drivable when I bought it. The lady I spoke with at the BMV basically told me to breeze through the paperwork, and mark the items as "purchased in drivable condition". Then they'll charge me a fee for not having plates on the car for a while, and then charge me for the plate itself. Gotta love red tape

The car is currently in a state of disassembly as it's my long-term race car project. So I'll be submitting a photo of the car to the BMV as it looked when it first arrived at my house