General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

new muscle cars threat !!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 04:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default new muscle cars threat !!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22340556/
Old 12-20-2007, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

Oh well. The ZR1's badass!

But it is kind of the opposite of what other car manufacturers are attempting to create.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:41 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is kind of sad to see, but it seems just like what happened back in the early 70s. GM is just going to have to work around it and divise new technology. When they came out with the GEN III engines that was revolutionary. I think the new emmision laws suck, but the side effects of pushing GM to create new technology will benefit us all.

PS: Why the hell are they putting such large wheels on the ZR1? The first thing I'd do is buy a nice set of 17s or 18s for it.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:35 PM
Staging Lane

^^ It's a track car. Bigger wheels = better feed back to the driver due to thinner sidewall. I know there is a point how big is too big, but i don't hink they were going for bling factor in this case. I think they serve a purpose.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:25 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

They used to think we'd be in flying cars by now too.....I wouldn't be too worried.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
PS: Why the hell are they putting such large wheels on the ZR1? The first thing I'd do is buy a nice set of 17s or 18s for it.
Good luck fitting them over the brakes.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:34 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
They used to think we'd be in flying cars by now too.....I wouldn't be too worried.
The "year 2000" right?

I thought that too. Boy were we wrong.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:47 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by unit213
The "year 2000" right?

I thought that too. Boy were we wrong.
Yeah, that's why I held out for a 2000 model year car.....what a disappointment.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:53 PM
11 Second Club

Not to worried. Even if there are harder restrictions from the factory there will always be an aftermarket and the sponsers on the left to help us out with our go fast needs. ------------>
Old 12-20-2007, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thats gonna suck if they essentially kill the muscle car by emissions laws. but like was said before, it pushes gm to build a more fuel efficient car. anything with the same performance with twice the fuel economy will be even more groundbreaking than the gen III
Old 12-20-2007, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

We can thank Al gore and the rest of our liberal tree hugging freinds for this.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:38 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ehh I welcome this regulation with open arms. Why? Let's think about it for a second.

Horsepower is getting out of hand right now. We're at the point where 400 horsepower is nothing. 500+hp cars are coming out from the FACTORY, and with little more than tires and a tune, production cars that your Average Joe can afford (with some responsible spending) are hitting 11's and lower. That's insane. The current horsepower wars are already out of hand IMO, and without regulation, it'll be even MORE out of hand

So, regulations will set things back a bit. So what? This will force companies to create engines with the same performance that get a lot better fuel efficiency. It may set things back 10 years, but it'll be worth it. If these regulations are not set, then this would NEVER HAPPEN. Make no mistake about it, if automakers don't have to upgrade their automobile's fuel economy, they won't. Why spend the extra money in R&D if you don't have to?

Besides, these cars will always be available. No matter what NEW regulation has to say, it won't encompass our cars and the current muscle cars they are producing now. They will all be exempt, and these regulations will actually cause our cars to depreciate in value a lot more slowly. These cars will be in demand because they escape the regulation. It'll make these current waves of muscle cars even more sought after and even more special.

I think it's great what they're doing. So what if it sets us back 10 years? Imagine a 400 hp car that gets 35 combined mpg. These regulations are what force automakers to reach for the stars and try something new. Being against these regulations means being content with mediocrity. Embracing these regulations means you thirst for something better. The muscle car isn't going anywhere. It just may have to lay low for awhile.

Look at it like this: if gas was still $0.35/gal and the first wave of emissions standards didn't occur in the 1970's, the LSx platform probably wouldn't exist. Through the ashes, something new and beautiful is born.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jeremiah
We can thank Al gore and the rest of our liberal tree hugging freinds for this.
yea, even though President Bush signed this law into effect
Old 12-20-2007, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Smoke Panther
yea, even though President Bush signed this law into effect
You have to be joking...anybody that pays any attention knows that the democrat party is pushing the "environmental" laws.

I put that in quotes because a lot of it is junk science. For example, and you can easily look this up...in england, the courts have ruled that due to extensive inaccuracies, by law they must give a disclaimer before they show Al Gore's movie in the schools in that country. The sad thing is they still allow it to be shown with the proven lies in it.

For another example, notice you don't hear about the hole in the ozone layer? That's because it was a bunch of unproven crap. They never knew the ozone layer to not have a hole, and it turned out the hole grows and shrinks and has nothing to do with emissions. You can dig deeper if you really want to know some of the underlying reasons for these lies, but they are perpetuated by power hungry people getting paid off by people that want to bring down the united states. Unfortunately, many many many people who don't pay attention beyond the surface of these stories go along with it and make ignorant comments like you did there. [/rant]
Old 12-20-2007, 11:13 PM
Tech Resident

Al Gore's movie is pure BS. That chart he used - the one showing carbon dioxide production and temperature increase - you know, where they mirrored so closely - well, what he didn't tell you that carbon dioxide levels increased AFTER the temperature went up! He fed it to you the other way around.

Now, how could this be?

Well, that's because the Earth's temperature is controlled by the sun and jet streams. So, sun output/weather patters change, the Earth heats up and life becomes easier for animals. What do animals exhale? Ah, carbon dioxide. Warmer temperatures = more animals = more carbon dioxide emissions from exhalation.

Or...what else could it be?

Perhaps the increase in temperature was due to an increase in volcanic activity, and what gas comes out of volcanos? Ah, CO2.

It's pure BS. Al Gore cares about the environment because be makes millions caring for the environment. If Al Gore didn't make a dime off his crusades, he wouldn't be doing it. Al Gore likes the paychecks, not the environment.

Have you ever seen his office? The guy has more papers scattered around than a city dump. His house uses more electricity in a month than the average American household in a YEAR! He owns a NICKEL MINE. Mining nickel is one of the worst things you can do to the environment. Mining nickel is soooo much worse than drilling oil. It's one of the worst things you can mine from an environmental standpoint.

I can't believe people are so ignorant and believe this crap. Man, this is why I have no faith in humanity. You can make a movie out of anything these days and people believe it. These are the same idiots that watch Michael Moore movies

Your hero at work. 3 HUGE monitors and a bigass TV on at the same time, and he has half a rainforest of trees lying around his office. What a joke.

Behold, your prophet. Disgusting old man.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Shooter_Jay
You have to be joking...anybody that pays any attention knows that the democrat party is pushing the "environmental" laws.

I put that in quotes because a lot of it is junk science. For example, and you can easily look this up...in england, the courts have ruled that due to extensive inaccuracies, by law they must give a disclaimer before they show Al Gore's movie in the schools in that country. The sad thing is they still allow it to be shown with the proven lies in it.

For another example, notice you don't hear about the hole in the ozone layer? That's because it was a bunch of unproven crap. They never knew the ozone layer to not have a hole, and it turned out the hole grows and shrinks and has nothing to do with emissions. You can dig deeper if you really want to know some of the underlying reasons for these lies, but they are perpetuated by power hungry people getting paid off by people that want to bring down the united states. Unfortunately, many many many people who don't pay attention beyond the surface of these stories go along with it and make ignorant comments like you did there. [/rant]
and, at the end of the day, guess who's name is on the dotted line?
Old 12-20-2007, 11:20 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Smoke Panther
and, at the end of the day, guess who's name is on the dotted line?
What does that have to do with the fact that everyone that believes Al Gore is an idiot?

There's simply no arguing that statement I just made. If you believe Al Gore, you're an idiot. A toolbox. A complete, uneducated moron. All you have to do is put in an hour's worth of research to realize he does nothing but feed you lies. We have less than 0.0001% of the Earth's weather history and WE know climate change?

Did you know 25 years ago, the big concern was global COOLING? Now, it's global WARMING. It's whatever these people can make the most money off of. The average temperature of the Earth hasn't changed in the past 2 or 3 years. Does that mean global warming is over? We're not getting any hotter. The Earth's temperature was hotter in the 1920's than it is now. So, since we're cooler now than we were back then, aren't we in a cooling trend?

Sun cycles last ~11-12 years. It's global warming right NOW. In the next decade, we'll be cooling down.

People's ignorance is terrifying. The scariest thing of all is that you people that believe this crap have the right to vote.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

run a catless Y pipe on your car and sit by the exhaust and try to tell everyone that pollution doesn't matter. that is just straight ignorant. and there is no hole in the ozone? you're eyes are closed man, have you ever been to australia?? in many place there they put sunblock on the children at school because the incidence of skin cancer is out of control and you get sunburned like **** there, directly and scientifically linked straight to ozone problems,

i welcome regulation that forces companies to build more efficient cars,

innovation = good for everyone
Old 12-20-2007, 11:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent post Choco. I think the engineers could do better in terms of efficiency but they haven't had to yet.

Also, Ive been wondering where the horsepower wars will end. People with very little driving experience can go buy cars(and bikes) that are too fast before they are even modified. I'm sure I'm gonna get lynched for this but maybe people should have to take a driving corse and be warned of the risk before they are allowed to drive them home. I saw a kid a couple of years ago get a new GTO and kill himself in a matter of days. And yes I know chevettes can break the speed limit as well. No one wants to hear it but its the truth.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also the people always look at cars as the big polutor but factories(espiacially in third world countries) are the big polutors. Not cars. Coal burning is another big one. Not here but in other counties.