General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

LS1 guy, what are my options for intake manifold.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default LS1 guy, what are my options for intake manifold.

Is the LS6 and fast 90 my only options when it comes to the intake manifold. I want the best bang for the buck. I'm guessing that's the LS6. The only thing I've done to my car is change the oil and put new coolant in it. Can I change this myself? I'm a real noob!
Old 12-22-2007, 05:42 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
Is the LS6 and fast 90 my only options when it comes to the intake manifold. I want the best bang for the buck. I'm guessing that's the LS6. The only thing I've done to my car is change the oil and put new coolant in it. Can I change this myself? I'm a real noob!
A ported LS2 would work well also.

If your car has stock cam/heads the FAST will be a waste....but it is by far the best on the market for modded engines.

The LS6 is a great value & yes, with care you can do the swap yourself. Do a search here for step by step instructions.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

i'll be doing cam swap, probably go with the torquer 2, so i was told to swap out this intake manifold. I found the writeup on ls1howto.com

So these parts aren't interchangeable or what? Where do I find them?

"Parts you will need:
- 1x 2001+ front coolant pipe - #12568478
- 2x 2001+ rear coolant plugs - #12562788 (Note, you can use a 2nd coolant pipe in place of these plugs if necessary)"
Old 12-23-2007, 08:26 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You also have the BBK SSI, Victor Jr with a elbow and Weiand has one as well
Old 12-23-2007, 11:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bbk, victor jr, weiand, typhoon, slp ls6, gm ls6, and i swear there is another one....a ls6 intake is not a "complete" bolt on, you will have to swap coolant pipes or grind down the ribs on the bottom of the ls6 manifold..you may also want to pick up a oil sender at the back of the intake because you may/may not break it, it is a coin flip ...you can find those coolant pipes at thunderracing.com, ws6store.com, speedinc.com and im sure a few other sponsers carry them
Old 12-24-2007, 10:28 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bryan04h
bbk, victor jr, weiand, typhoon, slp ls6, gm ls6, and i swear there is another one....a ls6 intake is not a "complete" bolt on, you will have to swap coolant pipes or grind down the ribs on the bottom of the ls6 manifold..you may also want to pick up a oil sender at the back of the intake because you may/may not break it, it is a coin flip ...you can find those coolant pipes at thunderracing.com, ws6store.com, speedinc.com and im sure a few other sponsers carry them
Exactly. I went with the Vic Jr in my avatar.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

After reading the how to. It seems rather difficult. I wish i knew how to do this stuff and other things to my car. Then I'd make videos with each and every step so dumbasses, like me, who know nothing about cars can do it.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:13 PM
TECH Resident

it really isn't that hard, if you have a friend that knows a lil bit of what he is doing you can do it...the only part that was tedious was the lining up and grinding down of the ribs....i used brake grease and applied it to the coolant hoses..then i laid down my intake and i saw appox where i needed to grind down...there are a few how-to's on here and one good one is on ls1howto.com
Old 12-27-2007, 06:02 PM
Staging Lane

After reading the how to. It seems rather difficult. I wish i knew how to do this stuff and other things to my car. Then I'd make videos with each and every step so dumbasses, like me, who know nothing about cars can do it.
Nah, it really is pretty simple on an LS1 or LS6 motor. I learned by helping some of my C6 Z06 pals change to their new ported LS7 manifolds. LS7's have alot more dodads and tubing hanging all over the manifold to mess with. Now I've done my own Ls1 several times by myself in less than an hour if I was really in a hurry. I basically followed the LS1howto.com writeup. I printed it all out, inc. pictures, and had it laying on my windshield as a reference.

Man, I wish I lived near you................I love tearing into someone else's car!!
Good luck
Old 12-27-2007, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I actually posted this idea up already. I want to do a cam, stall and some other goodies. Some guy from Texas was the only one that offered to help. I'm probably gonna do it too, cuz i hardly see and f-bod, let alone someone that knows anything about them. All I have to do is drive down there and probably give him a few hundred cash for him to do it. Then drive to texas speed to tune it. I know it's easy to you guys now once you've done it, but I was scared to do my fuel filter. I printed out everything on howto and then I got it no problem. Same with my coolant. I was pretty scared on that one...no prob now.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

LS6 intake for sure! If you go with the Fast 90 you'll lose your midrange. I have a friend in the 9's with the LS6 intake. Best bang for the buck...go for it!
Old 12-29-2007, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ls6 ***! you can also just crush the coolant tubes, but its better to get the kit.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ls6 is the best for the money for what u have,and will only be more helpfull in the future as u add more mods!
Old 01-02-2008, 12:17 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

- 1x 2001+ front coolant pipe - #12568478
- 2x 2001+ rear coolant plugs - #12562788
You'll need these if you go the FAST intake for sure. The part numbers listed are GM part numbers, so you can either order them online from a GM parts dealer or visit your local dealership. Scoggin-Dickey (a site sponsor) should be able to help you out----------------------->
Old 01-02-2008, 03:46 PM
Launching!

LS6 all the way
Old 01-02-2008, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed my LS6 not a couple of months ago. It is a piece of cake but watch your knuckles. I banged mine up pretty back swapping the damn thing. I think the only reason to get a FAST is to get all available power possible. I don't think a couple hundred including the price of the 90mm TB on top of it is worth the gain if it's still a street car.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it really isn't that hard, if you have a friend that knows a lil bit of what he is doing you can do it...the only part that was tedious was the lining up and grinding down of the ribs....i used brake grease and applied it to the coolant hoses..then i laid down my intake and i saw appox where i needed to grind down...there are a few how-to's on here and one good one is on ls1howto.com
This is waste of time!! Just get the correct coolant tubes. They're cheap!! And, the correct way to do it. Nothing needs to be grinded down. Only thing you might grind is the inner block tab if you also do the LS6 valley cover. But, that's not necessary for the intake swap.