General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

My car got smashed in hit and run

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 11:06 PM
Race Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My car got smashed in hit and run

So i was at work tonight when a customer came in asking if anyone owned a white camaro. My heart sunk cuz i knew right away something was wrong. He said a green car backed into and took off. He said he was unable to get a plate or make and model of the car cuz he just heard it take off real fast. The car hit the front driverside and destroyed the bumper, turn signal, and headlight. The fender had some paint knocked off and it is out of alignment so the door rubs when you open it. Cops basically said theres nothing they can do and just gave me a case number and said they can't do an accident report without the other persons information. So now the fun begins tracking down parts since my insurance just jumped with my sister being added onto my parents policy. Luckily my parents said they'll give me $300 towards getting it fixed instead of getting me anything for christmas, so it's a start. Gotta love the holidays.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:17 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,703 Likes on 1,220 Posts

Why would you not file a claim with the insurance and get it fixed? Not sure what company you have, but I've had a similar incident (where the party that hit me had no insurance), and State Farm covered all my repairs without boosting my rates by a single penny. Should be the same in your case since the issue was not your fault, unless you've had a lot of claims lately.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:28 PM
Race Fan

I've never had a claim but im just worried that with paying $3000 a year right now i really don't want it to raise anymore. The deductible is $500. I have Nation Wide General. So i was gonna contact them in the morning and see what they say.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:34 PM
Launching!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-P...spagenameZWDVW

I just ordered a new front bumper from these guys, they do a ton of deals and have great feedback. Ill let you know how mine turns out if you want. should have it next week, sounds almost too good to be true but i had to find out for myself.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:41 PM
Race Fan

Seems pretty good let me know how it is.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:41 PM
12 Second Club

Damn, sorry to hear the bad news. POS's in this world I tell ya. Definatly call the insurance company to get the lo-down on what you can do.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:46 PM
TECH Addict

Depending on your your state laws and insurance company you should be able to get it covered even though the other vehicle is unknown. I know here in NY if it is a hit and run we fill out the MV-104 and put vehicle 2 as unknown. Maybe the laws are different in your state.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:48 PM
Race Fan

I'm not sure the cop said they couldn't do an accident report and that its just set as an open case and gave me a case number and then said theres nothing else they can do.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:13 AM
Race Fan

Well looking on ebay i found a bumper cover for $90 shipped and i found a set of turn signals for $60. How much do bumper covers usually cost to be painted?
Old 12-24-2007, 01:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i MAY have a set of turn signals that i'd let ya have for $40 or right around shipping + a little extra. Also try www.car-parts.com they have alot of used parts you can search for maybe even get some in color. best of luck dude~Cole~
Old 12-24-2007, 01:45 AM
TECH Addict

Usually the painting is what costs alot, a good shop will have fairly high rates but it would be worth it to get it all blended together so it looks right
Old 12-24-2007, 09:39 AM
Staging Lane

My Insurance Raised My Rates Just For Asking About A Claim. They Told Me Just Because I Didnt Go Through The Claim Didnt Mean There Wasnt A Claim. Dose That Sound Like Bs Or What.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Get with State Farm. They just covered a no fault claim as yours. No increase in rates for a no fault claim. I think you get what you pay for regarding insurance. State Farm at least deals well with my claims.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:22 AM
Banned

Do you have any security cameras at your job? we have people back into people all the time, the owners just come inside and we go over the tape and get the license plate number.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:06 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by noah89
Get with State Farm. They just covered a no fault claim as yours. No increase in rates for a no fault claim. I think you get what you pay for regarding insurance. State Farm at least deals well with my claims.

I've had the same experiance with State Farm. They've been great to me for the past 12-13 years I've been with them. My rates have never gone up for an accident where I was not at fault, whether the other driver had insurance or not.

Originally Posted by CRAZYCUBAN29
My Insurance Raised My Rates Just For Asking About A Claim. They Told Me Just Because I Didnt Go Through The Claim Didnt Mean There Wasnt A Claim. Dose That Sound Like Bs Or What.
Either there is more to that story, or you need to drop that company ASAP.

Once again I can compare this to an experiance I had with State Farm. I was rear-ended by a 17 year old girl that had no insurance. The damage was VERY slight, and I already had a buyer for my car that was picking it up in a week. Well, I didn't want to bother getting it fixed due to the fact I was selling it, so I just showed the owner-to-be the damage and we agree to reduce the price by what the estimate would be to fix the damage.

So I called State Farm just to tell them about the accident, figured it would be a good idea to let them know "just in case", but said that I was selling the car and didn't care to file a claim. They said that was just fine, took the info, and that was the end of it. As usual, my rates never went up.

In fact, the only change my rates have ever made (regardless of claims I've filed) are to go DOWN.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They can not do that....contact your state's Insurance Commissioner to file a report. You can find more info. at the website below:

http://www.patientadvocate.org/index.php?p=178
Old 12-24-2007, 04:43 PM
Race Fan

I found a ebay shop that sells bumpers and fenders and turns out there only an hour away so i called them and they said itd be $117 with tax if i come pick it up. I'm thinking about switching to halos. I've seen a few sets on ebay with the black turn signals so i might go that route. Everything seems to be going alright finding parts. Now it's just getting paint estimates.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:49 PM
11 Second Club

Such bullshit I ******* hate insurance companies thats what they did to me. They jacked mine up and i didn't even file one. kinda same story but on my truck and it wasn't enough damage to pay the 500, so i just replaced the bumper for 100 bucks. I couldn't believe they could do that, so i switched I had state farm.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:48 PM
Race Fan

Do you have any security cameras at your job? we have people back into people all the time, the owners just come inside and we go over the tape and get the license plate number.
I work at blockbuster and we're at the end of the plaza too far away from jewel's cameras. So no luck with that as we're way outa their range.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:57 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by formulajunky98
Such bullshit I ******* hate insurance companies thats what they did to me. They jacked mine up and i didn't even file one. kinda same story but on my truck and it wasn't enough damage to pay the 500, so i just replaced the bumper for 100 bucks. I couldn't believe they could do that, so i switched I had state farm.
Did you hit someone else? And did they have to pay to fix the other person's car?