General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Longtubes, Cutout & Stock Cam?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 12:21 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro396
hey ******* all i wanted was some sound clips of a cutout with a stock cam. not a 2 page debate about exhaust flow. thread hijackers.
Trust me, no one wanted to get into this argument. Well, at least I didn't. I hate doing this crap

Uhh..yea...ahem...so...right...it'll be loud and sound pretty unrefined and not all that good. It sounds decent under heavy throttle and tolerable under light throttle, but it sounds terrible under medium throttle IMO. That ~3000 rpm area sounds raw, unrefined and just all-around bad to me.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
Trust me, no one wanted to get into this argument. Well, at least I didn't. I hate doing this crap

Uhh..yea...ahem...so...right...it'll be loud and sound pretty unrefined and not all that good. It sounds decent under heavy throttle and tolerable under light throttle, but it sounds terrible under medium throttle IMO. That ~3000 rpm area sounds raw, unrefined and just all-around bad to me.
first thing we agree on
Old 01-07-2008, 02:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ryanfx
first thing we agree on
I guess ill agree too...
Old 01-07-2008, 07:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SweeTbone
How about we get off our *** and get that **** done then? LOL. Trigger, Shawno and myself can jump in, let's do it. Are you waiting for the cam swap to put your headers on? We can throw on the LTs on in like 6 hours or less if you have a Y-pipe with your headers.
Well as soon as the race car is gone for chassis work, in the next week or so, Im bringing the ls1 car home. The cam swap probably wont happen for a while, as all my money is going into the 72. But I have the longtubes now, so I figured Id go ahead and put them on. So you, trigger, and shawno can come over some sunday in the next few weeks and we can knock it out.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:05 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All I know is that I like the sound with my cutout open. Gets raspy around 2.5-3k but still not too bad. When it goes through my SLP dual/dual the thing is EXTREMELY quiet. My car screams with the cutout open at WOT and it doesn't seem like much of anything is going through the catback becasue it is so loud. It's a hate it or love it kind of thing. I think cutouts sound great on stock manifolds and with long tubes I like the sound, just not all the time.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
What catback do you have on now? Cutouts aren't 100%. Even when your cutout is open, a significant portion of exhaust gas is still going to pass through your muffler.

When I'm at idle with the cutout open, my car sounds mostly like my catback. If I stand behind it, almost all the sound comes out the tips and very little out of the cutout.
Mine is the exact opposite. Before the headers/cam, with the cutout before the axle and magnaflow, it was a totally different sound with it open and closed. Plus, i had a very mimimal amount of exhaust passing through the muffler with it open. Here's a video for sound comparison.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/6...4800d0b7ef.htm
Old 01-07-2008, 09:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro396
Well as soon as the race car is gone for chassis work, in the next week or so, Im bringing the ls1 car home. The cam swap probably wont happen for a while, as all my money is going into the 72. But I have the longtubes now, so I figured Id go ahead and put them on. So you, trigger, and shawno can come over some sunday in the next few weeks and we can knock it out.
Sounds good to me. I just remembered you have those dumps that Trigger had. Totally forgot. We can wrap it up and get it done.