General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Longtubes, Cutout & Stock Cam?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 08:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Longtubes, Cutout & Stock Cam?

Does Anyone have a sound clip of a LS1 car with longtubes, no cats, and either open headers, or a cut-out? I want to know what my car is going to sound like if I put my longtubes on before the Cam Swap. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:56 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What catback do you have on now? Cutouts aren't 100%. Even when your cutout is open, a significant portion of exhaust gas is still going to pass through your muffler. At WOT, exhaust gases move fastest, so that means more and more gas is going to bypass the cutout and go through the muffler.

When I'm at idle with the cutout open, my car sounds mostly like my catback. If I stand behind it, almost all the sound comes out the tips and very little out of the cutout.

When I cruise around normally driving (under 3000 rpms), it sounds mostly like the cutout - raw and like pure ****, almost toneless. Just...weird. Very little exhaust goes through the muffler and mostly out of the cutout.

At WOT, it sounds badass because it mostly sounds like the Corsa. The higher in the RPM range I go, the more and more it sounds like the catback because the exhaust travels faster and faster and it mostly winds up going through the muffler.

So, what catback are you running? If you're running a stock catback, it's going to sound a whole lot different than my Corsa with an open cutout. If you have GMMG, Magnaflow, Hooker, whatever...it's going to sound a good bit different than my Corsa with an open cutout.

I have Magnaflow 59959 cats, so it's as close as you can get to running no cats as possible without physically removing them. They do almost nothing to exhaust sound. They don't really change the tone and have little to no effect on volume, so my car sounds like it has no cats.

Cold start:

Warm start:
Old 01-03-2008, 10:39 PM
11 Second Club

thanks. I have no catback on it right now. Just stock manifolds, with a stock catted Y pipe. And it pretty much sounds like ***. I just wondered if the open longtubes would sound better.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/j...empeg_0001.flv

longtubes through a y-pipe only, it is cammed though.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:43 PM
TECH Regular

not too much diff
Old 01-03-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

long tubes wont sound much better. here is a clip from my car
http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fusea...ideoid=7388825
Old 01-03-2008, 10:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DMONEY06
not too much diff
different from what?

mine sounds like sex.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:55 PM
11 Second Club

I know a cammed car through longtubes will sound good. Im tryin to see what a stock cam through them sounds like.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:57 PM
TECH Resident

the clip I posted is stock the only mods were the headers and air lid.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:58 PM
TECH Resident

camaro396 Not trying to be the gramar police but did you mean "You" instead of "Your" in your sig qoute?
Old 01-03-2008, 11:31 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99z28monster
camaro396 Not trying to be the gramar police but did you mean "You" instead of "Your" in your sig qoute?
yes hahah thank you!
Old 01-03-2008, 11:35 PM
TECH Resident

no prob man, good luck with the modding.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:28 AM
11 Second Club

I don't have any clips from before I had a cam but when I had dual cutouts right after the headers it sounded ridiculous. It got even louder once it was cammed but it still shook the ground. This was with a quiet SLP dual/dual exhaust so don't worry about the catback reducing the sound at all.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jessedale98
different from what?

mine sounds like sex.
Haha...your car sounds like ***....
Old 01-04-2008, 01:00 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
Haha...your car sounds like ***....
LOL just a couple points I need to make.

1. dont be mad at me because I dont have to have/pass inspections.
2. if you think a unrestricted,cammed ls1 sounds like ***, well you sir are a pillow biter.

Lastly, if u lined up against me, thats all you would see is ***......
Old 01-04-2008, 01:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
What catback do you have on now? Cutouts aren't 100%. Even when your cutout is open, a significant portion of exhaust gas is still going to pass through your muffler. At WOT, exhaust gases move fastest, so that means more and more gas is going to bypass the cutout and go through the muffler.
Exhaust speed has nothing to do with how much gas is coming out of your tips. Gas flows through the path of least resistance. More gas is going to come out of your cutout percentage wise the closer you get to WoT. Once the catback becomes a higher pressure zone, everything else goes out the cutout.

When I cruise around normally driving (under 3000 rpms), it sounds mostly like the cutout - raw and like pure ****, almost toneless. Just...weird. Very little exhaust goes through the muffler and mostly out of the cutout.
yup

At WOT, it sounds badass because it mostly sounds like the Corsa. The higher in the RPM range I go, the more and more it sounds like the catback because the exhaust travels faster and faster and it mostly winds up going through the muffler.
Completely wrong. At WoT almost none of the tone is coming out of the catback. That's why it STILL sounds raspy, toneless, loud and like crap. I don't know why you think this sounds "good". If you truly hear sound out of your catback you either had a horrid cutout install or your nuts.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ryanfx
Exhaust speed has nothing to do with how much gas is coming out of your tips. Gas flows through the path of least resistance. More gas is going to come out of your cutout percentage wise the closer you get to WoT. Once the catback becomes a higher pressure zone, everything else goes out the cutout.

yup

Completely wrong. At WoT almost none of the tone is coming out of the catback. That's why it STILL sounds raspy, toneless, loud and like crap. I don't know why you think this sounds "good". If you truly hear sound out of your catback you either had a horrid cutout install or your nuts.

Agreed with all above.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:56 PM
Tech Resident

yup

Where are you getting this from? Any of these tests can be performed with a high pressure water hose. Take a straight piece of exhaust tube and put the cutout open on the bottom. Turn the hose on low. Most of the water is going to fall out of the cutout. Turn the hose on high pressure. Most of the water is going to go right over the cutout and out the back of the exhaust.

Exhaust gas is no different. You're the one that is completely wrong.

Gas flows through the path of least resistance
What is that supposed to mean? Are you trying to tell me 100% of the exhaust gas goes out the cutout? You're completely, completely, completely wrong. You're not even close. This isn't a perfectly theoretical world, you know. Any of the things I've just said can be easily verified with a simple garden hose. It's fluid mechanics.

Not to mention the main focus here is sound waves, not exhaust gas itself.

There is way more exhaust tone at WOT then there is at half throttle. WOT sounds mostly like my muffler, half throttle sounds like...well, nothing. Just raw noise.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:58 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by chavez885
Agreed with all above.
2+2=15.

Do you agree with that? Just figured I'd ask since you tend to agree with incorrect statements
Old 01-04-2008, 10:27 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Where are you getting this from? Any of these tests can be performed with a high pressure water hose. Take a straight piece of exhaust tube and put the cutout open on the bottom. Turn the hose on low. Most of the water is going to fall out of the cutout. Turn the hose on high pressure. Most of the water is going to go right over the cutout and out the back of the exhaust.

Exhaust gas is no different. You're the one that is completely wrong.
Let's use your analogy here for a second. A water garden hose. If you put a relatively large size hole(like a cut out in a exhaust pipe) in a water hose and there is a restriction on the outlet side like a half open or 3/4 open valve (this would be your muffler) and you turn on the water where would the water go FIRST? The water will go to the LEAST resistance which is the OPEN HOLE ie cut out. SO YOU ARE WRONG.

What is that supposed to mean? Are you trying to tell me 100% of the exhaust gas goes out the cutout? You're completely, completely, completely wrong. You're not even close. This isn't a perfectly theoretical world, you know. Any of the things I've just said can be easily verified with a simple garden hose. It's fluid mechanics.
Flow will inevitably follow the path of least resistance. That means the flow will usually take the shortest, unrestricted path from the point of high pressure to the low pressure area. The reason we say “usually” is that air, like any fluid, has some mass or weight, and once it is moving at a given speed or in a given direction, it takes some outside force to change it. Airflow doesn’t like to make sharp right-angle turns. It doesn’t like to stop suddenly. In addition, it damn sure doesn’t like to reverse directions abruptly — think of shooting a fire hose against a wall.

by C.J. Baker