General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

GTO versus WS6

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 07:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 01riceeater
I want a nice cruiser, and ill probably do bolt ons for some morer power. However im worried about the shitty IRS/ horrible tranny?
If it's a cruiser you're looking for, the interior on the GTOs (04-06) is about 10 million times nicer than any Fbody. Just something to keep in mind if you're going to be cruising a lot in it.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would definitely take the WS6 over the GTO!! but a 05-06 GTO i dont know much. i know it has the ls2 i believe. i would take whatever i get the best price on. but i would go WS6!!!
Old 01-24-2008, 08:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trans on my turbo '04 GTO is rock solid after some heavy abuse.

If you upgrade suspension bits on the IRS and keep wheel-hop to a minimum, it'll last a long time. DocGTO made tons of 10-sec and low 11-sec passes on his stock IRS in an 04.

Interior of any GTO > interior on any Fbody, IMO.

Exterior on WS6 and SS > any GTO (excluding the RA6), IMO.

Make a choice based on what YOU want.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:31 AM
11 Second Club

'04s are not "slow" as someone previously mentioned. I shouldnt have to mention that the 50 hp and 35tq difference btwn the LS1 and LS2 can be made up for with headers and a tune.

With equal drivers and equal cars, of course the Fbody wins, but not by a landslide like people would have you believe. I personally have had my stock '04 goat down the 1320' in 13.3@106 back to back slips with a 2.1 60' And I suck *** as an M6 driver. A good driver would have been knocking on the door of 12s in my car.

They are however a royal b!tch to launch, particularly if a T56 tranny. The IRS also has a nasty problem known as wheel hop....hehe. You cant fit anything wider than a MT275/40r17 without tubbing. The radio sounds like *** ( but the exhaust sounds better anyhow. ) The clutch fluid from the factory likes to burn, so that needs to be changed over to a good DOT 4 brake fluid. And the only other issue with all year goats is the rear end. It is NOT weak, however most of them do whine from 50-60 mph in all gears, but its most evident in 6th gear. 99% of goat owners are getting the rears swapped out for new units under warrenty. Myself included. The '04s have smaller brakes all the way around than the '05/06s and many people whine about that. Personally I dont see the need for the larger brakes - I drive it like my 5,000lb 4runner with respect to braking and have had zero issues. (btw '05/'06 brake calipers and rotors are essentially a direct bolt on upgrade.)

I love the exterior styling. ( I love a very underrstated looking car that will kick your **** around your ears! No one expects that big cavalier looking thing to have a v8 much less an LS1!) A TA, ws6 or not, just looks downright aggressive, and very good. However you'll probably get a LOT of people trying to race you all the time. My bud has complained about that a lot. I have the opposite problem - which honestly has probably kept me out of jail....lol The Interior! After driving around with and in my bud's TA the GTO's interior is much much much nicer. No rattling all over the place no mattter what speed im driving or what the engine is turning at. (I still do love that TA though...hehe) After having owned my GTO for almost 2 months I've already made four 3+ hour drives in the car and when I got to my destination, each and every time, I was dissapointed that I didnt get to drive farther!

I cant comment on handling compared to the Fbody, since I have this thing against abusing other people's cars. But based on riding shotgun in my bud's TA taking it to the limit (and beyond.) Id say the GTO is slightly better. The rear IFS is good for that and a nice cushy ride at least.

The holden rebadged as a GTO is a limited 3 year run. The GTO will never return, so you'll own a limited production run car. (I personally have a barbados blue m6, of which only 172 were made for this country.)

Oh and one other thing, LS2's have an oil consumption issue, whereas the LS1 goats do not. A good catch can takes care of that however. Just some thoughts from a goat owner.

You cant go wrong with either car.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:02 AM
Staging Lane

problem with a chick in a miniskirt is any guy that buys her a drink can pound the **** out of her......but the refined chick in the black dress..........well, thats probably the case there too, but at least she doesnt tell everyone. lol

oh, cars though......i see a ton of birds here and only one-two other SS's. no GTO's cause the stupid crash rating........but i would give whats left of my nuts (gf has the other one...) for a goat. just cause it reminds me of the impala SS's with luxury car feel and F body performance.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:07 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

People tend to rag on the F-body interior. I’m not sure why though. Sure, Camaros and Firebirds don’t have a Benz-like interior, but they shouldn’t – they are not luxury cars. Believe it or not, I actually like the interior of my Camaro. I love how the seating position feels, I love the layout of the controls, and I even like the design...purposeful, clean, and to-the-point – like a muscle car should be, IMO. The fact that the materials aren’t made from gold and imported Italian leather doesn’t bother me.

One of the things I enjoy about my Camaro is that it looks/feels/drives like a modern muscle car. Part of that feeling is the raw and primitive nature of the car as a whole (solid axle, push-rod V8, no fancy bells or whistles). It has everything you need and nothing you don’t. I think the GTO makes a great daily driver, but I view those cars as a low-end luxury coupe (low end compared to stuff like a CL55, etc.) more than a muscle car.

IMO, the two cars are not comparable. It’s like asking which is better between an Escalade and a Silverado 3500HD – sure, they have similar drivetrains and both are trucks, but they really aren’t intended for the same overall purpose. Very similar between GTO vs F-body... similar drivetrain, both are coupes, but they are not designed as competitors.

In my eyes, if the car is going to be a weekend toy, nice weather car show cruiser, etc., I’d always rather have the F-body than the GTO; simply because to me the F-body is more fun to drive when the object is driving for pleasure. But for a daily commute, the GTO would be nice; it’s just not a car that I find special, and driving one just wasn’t as fun as my “lowly” F-bodies.

All of that is just my opinion though. Above all else, you need to pick what YOU like best.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:23 AM
Staging Lane

If you don't wheel-hop it like crazy, the rear should last you a long time. That IRS will show off from time to time, too. Frankly, I'd hate to have to choose between the two. That being said, if it were a weekend only car, WS6. If it were a DD, GTO. You should go test drive a GTO and see how you like the feel. A WS6 is gonna drive almost exactly like your SS. I'd shoot for an LS2, though. I know the power isn't much different, but I personally love the throttle response and the way the LS2 "feels" a lot better. I really don't like the Goat's gearing, though. It's a little shallow for my taste. As a side note, I have way more oil consumption issues with my T/A than I do with the GTO. Actually, I have NO noticeable oil consumption on the GTO, yet.

Dave
Old 01-24-2008, 10:28 AM
TECH Resident

I think that the last 2 posts nailed it. I hang out with some GTO guys and would agree completely. Having said that, I would not trade my SS for a GTO.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

Yep I agree ^

I had a 2004 GTO (leased and gone, Cosmos M6) and of course now the TA.

GTO much more refined, interior much, much better. A great choice for a DD..

WS6 looks are just plain killer, faster, but you get to deal with typical f-body stuff we know and love. As stated if its a weekend cruiser/toy f-body...DD GTO.

And neither are bad choices....
Old 01-24-2008, 12:25 PM
Teching In

As an owner of both I can echo what others have already said in that they really are completely different cars. That being the case you should pick the one that best suits your needs and goals. With that up front, here's my take:

Power: In my experience both are fast, with the WS6 having an noticable advantage from its lighter weight and solid rear axle. For a daily driver with bolt ons I don't think you could go wrong with either, but if you plan on living at the track the WS6 is probably the best platform to start with. You stated that you wanted an M6 so I can't comment on how it compares between the two as both of mine are autos. For what it's worth the 4L60E is shared by both and does fine in both.

Exterior styling: This is totally subjective and again both have their ups and downs. The WS6 gets far more looks which is nice, but it also draws the attention of every cop and civic within 5 miles everytime I take her out because she just looks fast. The GTO is more along the lines of "walk quietly and carry a big stick", which can be fun in its on way if you like sleepers. It just depends on which you'd rather deal with, and of course which one looks the best to you. One thing I have noticed is that the paint is much more easily damaged on the GTO.

Interior: The GTO is nicer as far as fit and finish and the seats are incrediably comfortable. The F-body isn't as bad as some people make out, and it is nice in it's own way. Call me unobservant, but to me plastic is plastic when it comes to dashes and such, and both have plenty. The Trans Am seats are pretty nice too, and they do great on long trips. I have them in my Firebird and they do fine. For what it's worth the GTO's leather seems like it's of a higher grade, but that could just be me.

Other concerns: The GTO can be a pain to find parts for, as once you get past the engine and driveline you may find that many parts are unique to the car and have to be special ordered. There are also little quirks with the GTO that I think came about as the result of the fact it started out as an Australian right hand drive car. The trunk release in the glove box for example. If gas mileage is a concern the WS6 will probably do better given its slightly lighter weight, but again I'm not familar with the M6 cars. I'll say that there is about a 5-6 mpg difference in the autos in highway driving. If you work on your own cars you'll love the GTO as you can actually get to the whole engine without having to reach under the cowl. Finally the brakes on the 04 aren't the best in the world, but a conversion to the better 05 parts is quick and cheap.

In summary it all comes down to what you want the car for. I like both, but for me if I could only have one I'd pick the F-body without hesitation. I've owned a total of 5 Fourth Generations so far though, so I'm probably slightly biased. In the end I don't think you can go wrong with either. Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:43 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by WS6Formula99
As an owner of both I can echo what others have already said in that they really are completely different cars. That being the case you should pick the one that best suits your needs and goals. With that up front, here's my take:

Power: In my experience both are fast, with the WS6 having an noticable advantage from its lighter weight and solid rear axle. For a daily driver with bolt ons I don't think you could go wrong with either, but if you plan on living at the track the WS6 is probably the best platform to start with. You stated that you wanted an M6 so I can't comment on how it compares between the two as both of mine are autos. For what it's worth the 4L60E is shared by both and does fine in both.

Exterior styling: This is totally subjective and again both have their ups and downs. The WS6 gets far more looks which is nice, but it also draws the attention of every cop and civic within 5 miles everytime I take her out because she just looks fast. The GTO is more along the lines of "walk quietly and carry a big stick", which can be fun in its on way if you like sleepers. It just depends on which you'd rather deal with, and of course which one looks the best to you. One thing I have noticed is that the paint is much more easily damaged on the GTO.

Interior: The GTO is nicer as far as fit and finish and the seats are incrediably comfortable. The F-body isn't as bad as some people make out, and it is nice in it's own way. Call me unobservant, but to me plastic is plastic when it comes to dashes and such, and both have plenty. The Trans Am seats are pretty nice too, and they do great on long trips. I have them in my Firebird and they do fine. For what it's worth the GTO's leather seems like it's of a higher grade, but that could just be me.

Other concerns: The GTO can be a pain to find parts for, as once you get past the engine and driveline you may find that many parts are unique to the car and have to be special ordered. There are also little quirks with the GTO that I think came about as the result of the fact it started out as an Australian right hand drive car. The trunk release in the glove box for example. If gas mileage is a concern the WS6 will probably do better given its slightly lighter weight, but again I'm not familar with the M6 cars. I'll say that there is about a 5-6 mpg difference in the autos in highway driving. If you work on your own cars you'll love the GTO as you can actually get to the whole engine without having to reach under the cowl. Finally the brakes on the 04 aren't the best in the world, but a conversion to the better 05 parts is quick and cheap.

In summary it all comes down to what you want the car for. I like both, but for me if I could only have one I'd pick the F-body without hesitation. I've owned a total of 5 Fourth Generations so far though, so I'm probably slightly biased. In the end I don't think you can go wrong with either. Good luck with your decision.
One hell of a good post.

Unbiased, fair, and not intended to bash or belittle either car. Just speaks the truth.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

I owned an 04 GTO M6 and never liked the looks of it. It is hands down the best car I have ever owned, but I just did not think it was sporty enough. I traded it for an 07 Mustang GT, which was a very nice car too.....but it was not for me. I sold it and bought a 00 WS6 and I am happy I did it. I really love the looks of the WS6, you've got to drive what you like!!!!
Old 01-24-2008, 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

Get the GTO, Fbody interiors are junk honestly. They are cheaply made, and just not all that nice.
GTO's on the other hand.....
That being said, if you just want something cheap and fast get the TA. If you want something that's actually nice for a change, and atleast able to get out of it's own way get the GTO.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by *98TransAm*
im throwing that in my sig, best explanation ever
I second that

Getting back to the topic, I'd say WS6. The GTO's are nice, but theres just something about a Trans Am
Old 01-24-2008, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

camaros are nice but there ain't nothing like a WS6 that Ram Air Hood makes that ss hood look like some thing off a import jk haha but good luck
Old 01-24-2008, 06:39 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by 99camarosupersport
Get the GTO, Fbody interiors are junk honestly. They are cheaply made, and just not all that nice.
GTO's on the other hand.....
That being said, if you just want something cheap and fast get the TA. If you want something that's actually nice for a change, and atleast able to get out of it's own way get the GTO.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Haha i agree, but the gto is nice as well. Who knows, ive got a couple months or more, Im just trying to get an idea of what Id like to do. Thanks for all the responses guys!
Old 01-24-2008, 07:14 PM
TECH Addict

I can honestly tell you I have been in your situation before. My 2000 Formula is my 12th 4 gen F-body. Back in 1998 I purchased a 1999 Camaro Z28 right off the showroom floor. I was 20 at the time. I got the car because it was a LS1 and a M6. I actually wanted a NBM WS6 Trans Am/Formula. After about a year or so after owning the Camaro i was ready to trade it and get the 1000% better looking car (Firebird)IMHO Especially after seeing NineBall's 98 NBM Formula on LS1.com back in the day.

I can honestly tell you since I'm a little older and wiser now I would say if you can get a decent price on a Trans Am and don't end up spending more money in the long run I would consider it. I personally think the F-Body interior is one of the all time worst but the exterior/performance is legendary The LS2 GTO is a good choice. The LS1 GTO is I would much rather get another LS1 F-Body. The lack of the hood scoops/dual exhausts and the smaller LS1 instead of the LS2 on the 04 should take the LS1 GTO right off of your list! Like stated the GTO interior is top notch,the exterior looks great and its understated which is cool in my book

I say do whatever makes you happy you only live once! Just please eliminate the 04 GTO off the list and add the 05-06 The prices were in the low 20,000 last i looked because I actually considered a LS2 GTO two months back before I brought my Vette.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:50 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

I know that my opinion is in the minority here, but I would just like to go on record as stating the following:

- I actually like the 4th gen F-body interiors. They are just not as bad as people make them out to be. The leather is pretty cheap, granted, but when optioned with cloth these interiors hold up pretty well (my average mileage '02 looks great inside even with 70k+ miles). The interior ergonomics are great, and I feel more of a "glove type" fit inside a Camaro/Firebird than a GTO.

- When I was younger, I liked the looks of a Trans Am better than a Camaro, but not anymore. The Trans Am (espeically the WS6) tends to appeal to younger people more because it's extremely bold and pretty wild looking. Don't get me wrong, I still think they look great, but as I've aged my tastes have changed and I now prefer the cleaner (yet still aggressive) look of the Camaro a little more. As for any F-body vs GTO, I think the F-body always looks better. But that's not to say the GTO isn't nice as well. Just preferance.

- I don't like manual transmissions. I'm all about the automatic, and to people that feel autos have no place in a "muscle car" and are not "fun", I say to you: Get bent.

Sorry, went off topic a bit, but I just felt the need to separate myself from the group.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:47 PM
TECH Addict

Talking

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I know that my opinion is in the minority here, but I would just like to go on record as stating the following:

- I actually like the 4th gen F-body interiors. They are just not as bad as people make them out to be. The leather is pretty cheap, granted, but when optioned with cloth these interiors hold up pretty well (my average mileage '02 looks great inside even with 70k+ miles). The interior ergonomics are great, and I feel more of a "glove type" fit inside a Camaro/Firebird than a GTO.

- When I was younger, I liked the looks of a Trans Am better than a Camaro, but not anymore. The Trans Am (espeically the WS6) tends to appeal to younger people more because it's extremely bold and pretty wild looking. Don't get me wrong, I still think they look great, but as I've aged my tastes have changed and I now prefer the cleaner (yet still aggressive) look of the Camaro a little more. As for any F-body vs GTO, I think the F-body always looks better. But that's not to say the GTO isn't nice as well. Just preferance.

- I don't like manual transmissions. I'm all about the automatic, and to people that feel autos have no place in a "muscle car" and are not "fun", I say to you: Get bent.

Sorry, went off topic a bit, but I just felt the need to separate myself from the group.
WOW!!! You are def in a group of your own! A4's with 2:73's! I agree with you in some things but what do you think about what

1.) The F-Body interior.. The monsoon radio (GM used this in so many cars) is styled like something from the early 90's! Beside the layers and layers of plastic My BIGGEST complaint is the cat convertor hump in the passenger side. This has to be one of the silliest things i have ever seen in any vehicle 2.) I think the Camaro is clean but I think the front end is horrible even though i have owned 3 LS1 Camaros The side and rear profiles cannot be beat though I also agree i like the clean lines that is one reason I'm happy with my formula