General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Police Inerceptor Camaros

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 05:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are little screw holes in the dash on the radio/climate trim piece. A couple of holes in the passenger floor.

Just a low option Z28. I paid $7700. Tan top and deck had been painted factory onyx black again, 106,000mi, ran perfect, cold a/c.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:26 PM
11 Second Club

Like sharpe said, no special tune, no heavy duty anything. Mine was at the strip within 2 weeks and ran 13.54@102mph old, tired, and bone stock to the paper filter.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:30 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by troopercar
Like sharpe said, no special tune, no heavy duty anything. Mine was at the strip within 2 weeks and ran 13.54@102mph old, tired, and bone stock to the paper filter.
I couldn't get mine into the 13s at our 5800 DA 14.2@98

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 01-31-2008, 05:38 PM
TECH Resident

I have never heard of police interceptors being debaged SS, they are Z28's. Also, dont listen to what wikipedia says, they are usually wrong
Old 01-31-2008, 05:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
I couldn't get mine into the 13s at our 5800 DA 14.2@98
Sarasota, Fl rules! Actually, I was surprised it ran that fast. Felt to me like 14.0 give or take. I thought it would have been a little slower than my souped up '80 I had years ago, I remember the old one feeling much faster.
Proved to me what I already knew, the old guys telling you how their old ride would've spanked your new whatever ARE FULL OF ****!
Old 01-31-2008, 05:55 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by foreverzero
Also, dont listen to what wikipedia says, they are usually wrong
I stopped believing most of the Wikipedia stuff as soon as I learned that anyone can add information.

I look at the Police Camaros this way....a Z28 in V6 clothing.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharpe
None of our cars a all have "chips," and that includes LT1's so I'm surprised you're in the dark about that. LT1's and LS1's have computers that must be programmed. To program them, you're going to have to have a laptop and someone who knows what they are doing with an expensive program. So, anytime someone mentions LS1 (or LT1) and "chip" in the same sentence, they are full of ****.

Z28's and SS's and TransAms and WS6's and (non-ZO6) Vettes all have the same horsepower. They all have the LS1 engine, which is a 346 cid small block V8. There are slight differences in the years that amount to a hill of beans. "Ram Air" is literally a marketing gimmick.

Stock, they all put out about 300 rwhp give or take 10-15. They all should be capable of mid to low 13 second 1/4 mile ETs. The very fastest dip into the 12's bone stock.

Word Brother
Old 01-31-2008, 08:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An interceptor is what a dumb *** calls the motor in any chevy cop car. Especially the caprices. The Interceptor LT1, talk about a bad *** motor, not only is it an LT1, but its an interceptor.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:04 PM
Teching In

Smile Chevrolet Camaro Interceptor

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
Word Brother
The California and, I think, Arizona Highway Patrol have used these for I-10.

I've seen one CHP model up close two years ago. This was a stock LS1, automatic transmission, and aero slots of some sort up front with, what I assumed was a transmission cooler on the driver's side behind and under the "bumper". There was larger battery and a larger alternator [actually appeared physically larger and different from the usual alternator] that might have been stock or, perhaps, aftermarket.

The tires were Z rated and mounted on steel wheels [looked like something out of nascar]. The officer stated that the suspension was stock z28, but lowered. It looked to my eye to be lower, but not by a bunch.

I suspect these cars in California did have a solid suspension, stock Ls1, and heavy duty oil/transmission coolers and larger alternators to handle the radio/communications load.

This was in Indio, California fair grounds. The vehicle was on patrol duty for i-10 between Indio and Arizona...which is pretty much 100 miles of four lane race opportunities and often over 115 F in the shade, if you can find it.

By the way, this officer opined that the Camaro was a very, very fast vehicle, but not as well suited as the Mustang LX the CHP ran for a while. Why? Since the LX's were known as being a scary ride above 135mph. Easy, the Camaro side windows pulled away at speed increasing wind noise to the point that radio communications suffered.

g
Old 01-31-2008, 08:16 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

My B4C, I picked it up CHEAP with 49,000 miles. It has absolutely nothing different than every other f-body I've ever owned aside from holes drilled in everything. Thanks to their drill bits, I had to get a new dash pad, headliner, radio surround, guage surround, and the piece that is right in front of your calves under the steering wheel. Of course, it looks nothing like this anymore It was already fixed and repainted when I bought it

edit: took my HUGE pics out cause scolling left to right to read everything was bugging me

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Last edited by Scoggin Dickey; 02-01-2008 at 12:44 AM.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Regular

^^^^ that's actually pretty cool looking without the damage.. i had a '96 b4c back in the day
Old 01-31-2008, 09:07 PM
Staging Lane

from what i know (and or heard) about B4C cars is they have the same suspension as the SS but are Z28/RS cars, and they were supposed to be able to have A/C delete. and i am not sure about newer cars, but we used to have a (dont get jealous here guys) 87 diplomat that had converter delete. the reason they have SS stuff is the same reason SS cars have all the beefed up parts........severe duty.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:17 PM
Staging Lane

also, where the term interceptor came from is the HIGH SPEED PURSUIT cars. usually geared higher (numerically lower) for top speed chases. absolutely worthless in the citys. the un knowing car enthusiasts have generically labelled all cop cars INTERCEPTORS cause some of the crown vics came with an INTERCEPTOR badge on the back under the right rear tail light. for some reason they see the badge and think that it means the car has a more powerful motor.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ONE EYE
from what i know (and or heard) about B4C cars is they have the same suspension as the SS but are Z28/RS cars, and they were supposed to be able to have A/C delete. and i am not sure about newer cars, but we used to have a (dont get jealous here guys) 87 diplomat that had converter delete. the reason they have SS stuff is the same reason SS cars have all the beefed up parts........severe duty.
Well you heard wrong....The B4C is just a fleet order de-badged Z28 nothing extra....I owned one I got really cheap at a city auction...Going through it, it had nothing different than any other F body I owned...
Old 01-31-2008, 10:26 PM

Well put.
Originally Posted by Sharpe
None of our cars a all have "chips," and that includes LT1's so I'm surprised you're in the dark about that. LT1's and LS1's have computers that must be programmed. To program them, you're going to have to have a laptop and someone who knows what they are doing with an expensive program. So, anytime someone mentions LS1 (or LT1) and "chip" in the same sentence, they are full of ****.

Z28's and SS's and TransAms and WS6's and (non-ZO6) Vettes all have the same horsepower. They all have the LS1 engine, which is a 346 cid small block V8. There are slight differences in the years that amount to a hill of beans. "Ram Air" is literally a marketing gimmick.

Stock, they all put out about 300 rwhp give or take 10-15. They all should be capable of mid to low 13 second 1/4 mile ETs. The very fastest dip into the 12's bone stock.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Who's not listening here? They DO NOT have SS parts, they DON'T have anything special, period. Especially not SS suspension or anything. They don't have external tranny coolers. How many people have to stand up and say they own one and nothing is different for some of you to stop acting like the heresay you've come across actually means something? I have owned several fbodies and this B4C is no different in any way. There are no standard upgrades or downgrades.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yup...i got lucky or screwed...havent figured it out yet...instead of screw holes...i have dried up glue and i guess two light holders that wont come off the windshield no matter how hard i try to get them off...i tried goo gone on the dried glue and it wont come off...and there isnt anything different than regular camaros
Old 02-01-2008, 01:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sharpe, not meaning to jack a thread but that is a staggering amount of posts man!!!!! Wow.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:40 AM
Staging Lane

not trying to be a dick here, but every other cop car has severe duty parts on them and power steering, tranny, and oil coolers. even the crappy six cylinder cars, so why wouldnt a b4c car?
we just got rid of a 98 crown vic that was an x cop car and the serial number called for severe duty ball joints and it had all the coolers on it. i know ford and chev are apples and oranges, but when they all go into the same basket..........

i do believe in the horses mouth about the b4c owners on here but i just cant see them NOT putting at least those parts on the cars.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well since all Auto LS1's come with tranny coolers, and most came with power steering coolers there would be no need to add this. Also the B4C wasn't designed to be just a police car, so they didn't put all the extra time and effort into it, also being that they sold less than 2000 of these cars the market wasn't very big. These cars were also gov, cars again they were designed to be cheap gov,LE, state cars. Unlike the Crown Vic and Chevy Impala which were designed and targeted as police cars, the B4C was not. And believe it that they didn't put any extra parts in as I and many others that owned the cars have chimed in...