General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

my flat tire story

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 06:42 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default my flat tire story

yesterday at 11:00 am I get out of work get in my 98 trans am concertible and notice the steering wheel is hard to turn upon driving. I pull in to a gas station across the street and see i have 2 tire flat at the same time in the front. I only live 5 miles away so figure put some air in the tires and make it home. One tire inflates no problem. The other just won't inflate. I have a spair but hate to drive on one especialy in the front. So I call AAA wait for an hour for the flatbed to come and tow me home. The car is low in the front so the front will hit the flatbed floor if i drive up. I make the driver put mu spair on the back so i can drive on the flat bed.

I have never removed the spair befor. Im trying and it just wont come out. I AAA driver looks at me and thinks im an idiot. He tries and cont get it out either. He then take out my rear light and the tire comes out.

While hes puting on the spair I take my flat wheel to the airpump and it inflates. I make the tow driver take the spair off put it in the trunk and put my tire back on. This guy is pissed now hes doing all this work and im ordiring him to put everything back.

So my tire is back on and i drive home.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:08 AM
Banned

well that sucks man, ive had a flat before going 75 before u realize it....scary ****! so be careful out there, and kudos for getting yours fixed the easy way
Old 02-01-2008, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

My flat tire stories usually result in bodily injury, as I have the worst luck on the planet (no, seriously) - my last flat tire got me a concussion, and significant blood loss. And yes, I know how to change a tire, its just that **** always goes wrong for me.

Anyway, how is it that the tire would not hold air, but when you took it off, aired it up, and put it back on, it held air? This confuses me.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

Sounds likes someone hates you at your job, or playing a prank and letting your air out. Park by a security camera next time if they have one and then find out who the unlucky sob is...then take em out!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-01-2008, 09:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, you fucked that AAA driver over! That would be a good prank on a "reality"-type show: See how bad you can **** the AAA river off.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm glad not to hear a bent fender when I read flat tire stories.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Just FYI if you have to drive on the spare put it on the non drive wheels. FWD cars, put it on the back. RWD, put it on the front. If you have a flat on the drive wheels best thing to do is put one from the non drive on the drive then put the spare in that other one's place.

I've heard it is bad on the differential to have 2 different sized wheels on it. But then, half of everyone here has something different in the front than the rear anyway so maybe this just can't apply..
Old 02-04-2008, 12:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Z Fury
My flat tire stories usually result in bodily injury, as I have the worst luck on the planet (no, seriously) - my last flat tire got me a concussion, and significant blood loss. And yes, I know how to change a tire, its just that **** always goes wrong for me.

Anyway, how is it that the tire would not hold air, but when you took it off, aired it up, and put it back on, it held air? This confuses me.
Significant blood loss??? How?
Old 02-04-2008, 02:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO

I've heard it is bad on the differential to have 2 different sized wheels on it. But then, half of everyone here has something different in the front than the rear anyway so maybe this just can't apply..

it is ok to have different size tires on our cars. as long as the fronts both match each other and the rears both match each other its ok. two different sized rear tires could be a problem though.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think he was talking about two different sized tires in the rear, because you can mess up your spider gears in the diff. also this goes for any vehicle

to the OP, why did you wait around for an hour instead of just changing the tires yourself? might just be me but I woulda tried that first before calling AAA for only a 5 hour trip.

and for why the tire held air once it was off of the vehicle, when you were trying to fill it with air on the car it was probably crooked or a little off center and the bead wasnt seated properly...

but yea two flat tires is pretty uncommon, park next to a camera or somewhere pretty visible
Old 02-04-2008, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone pulled a prank on you.

Also, what width wheels are you running and what sized tires?
Old 02-05-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HOTRODKEV
Significant blood loss??? How?
You asked, so brace yourself for a story full of awesome...

I was heading home after Thanksgiving dinner at my parents' house, when my '94 Blazer caught a flat (driver's side rear). So I pulled over as far as I could, so that I could get to the tire without dodging traffic (in the dark, no less). Now, in the '80s or '90s, someone probably would have stopped to offer some help, but in today's world, that isn't a safe thing to do, so no one was gonna stop, which was fine at the time, cause I had my hydraulic floor jack in the back of the truck, and was thinkin "no problem, I can knock this out in 10 minutes or less."
Loosen the lug nuts - no problem.
I'm jacking up the truck, while lying somewhat underneath it (to avoid traffic - it wasn't my first choice of places to lie while jacking up a big *** truck). Since it was dark, I can't exactly tell you what caused it to happen, but the jack rolled, the truck fell, and the fuel tank greated my face. Since I wear glasses, those became a weapon instantly, as the lens came out from the force of the gas tank and gouged me under my left eye. And I mean gouged. Also, the force of the impact bounced my head off the highway - concussion. After clearing my head, I got out from under the truck (tire was still somewhat on, so its not like the thing would crush my skull, like my Camaro would have...) and grabbed a shop towel out of the back of the truck. That thing turned from white to dark red in a matter of minutes - to the point that I could actually ring blood out of it when it was all finished.
Somehow, I was able reset the jack and finish the tire change, and drive myself to the ER for evaluation. The rest of that evening was pretty fuzzy. I do remember talking to some friends, as the hospital people told me not to go to sleep with the concussion. Normally, my luck isn't this bad, but apparently the stars aligned on this night...
Old 02-06-2008, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^damn that sucks! glad you were ok!
Old 02-06-2008, 08:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by venomhp
^^^damn that sucks! glad you were ok!
Yeah, inspite the incredible list of things that went wrong, things could have ended much worse. In a very sick way, after all that happened, I was lucky.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

^^^WOW^^ thats awsome and sucks all at the same time