General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

will this catch can work ok?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008 | 03:22 PM
TECH Regular

Default will this catch can work ok?

I know some cans work better than others. Does anyone recognize this universal can and whether or not it will work satisfactorily? Is it worth buying for $40 or should I just buy a reputable one? Thanks for any input http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...Picture004.jpg
Old 02-03-2008 | 03:30 PM
Banned

if u dont trust it run 2 filters after it like i did!

Old 02-03-2008 | 03:34 PM
TECH Regular

well that's doable but not really necessary. why not just buy a reputable one? not calling you out by any means, this is just my rationale..
Old 02-03-2008 | 03:40 PM
Banned

well ok, a catch can is a catch can no matter which one u get, sure there are catch cans with baffles in them but those cant stop moisture in the air or even the oily mist in the air! if you really want good insurance on oil not getting into the intake you need more then just a catch can! the re are some people that run 2 husky oil to water separators after the catch can, just to be safe!
Old 02-03-2008 | 03:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ae13291
well ok, a catch can is a catch can no matter which one u get, sure there are catch cans with baffles in them but those cant stop moisture in the air or even the oily mist in the air! if you really want good insurance on oil not getting into the intake you need more then just a catch can! the re are some people that run 2 husky oil to water separators after the catch can, just to be safe!
hmmm.. never seen that before. sounds good. thanks for the advice. so the filters are husky oil to water separators? can i pick those up at vatozone?
Old 02-03-2008 | 03:57 PM
Banned

lol vatozone!! hahah well the mod that i did is the complete SMH pcv mod hold on i think i have a link! everything i got was from vatozone the ones i used are fuel filters, and i put my pcv valve AFTER the catch can! then after the pcv valve are the 2 filters inline then to the intake

here is the link http://bowlingss.com/LS1_How_To.htm then click on SMH pcv mod
Old 02-03-2008 | 04:05 PM
TECH Regular

lol vatozone!! hahah well the mod that i did is the complete SMH pcv mod hold on i think i have a link! everything i got was from vatozone the ones i used are fuel filters, and i put my pcv valve AFTER the catch can! then after the pcv valve are the 2 filters inline then to the intake

here is the link http://bowlingss.com/LS1_How_To.htm then click on SMH pcv mod
Man that ls1 how to page is VERY useful. It contains a lot more stuff than my old favorite www.installuniversity.com .. I will definitely get around to doing this mod. How long did it take you from start to finish?
Old 02-03-2008 | 04:10 PM
Banned

well it dident take me too long, like i dont know an hour or so since i had to run to the store twice because i forgot to buy a few fittings, but as you can see i replaced the drip can they use with my catch can! you can do the same since i guess you already have a catch can!
and if you have an 01 or 02 it will be easier because the damm egr wont be in the way! and yea i love that site it has everything! and all the links work!! lol
Old 02-03-2008 | 04:13 PM
TECH Regular

well it dident take me too long, like i dont know an hour or so since i had to run to the store twice because i forgot to buy a few fittings, but as you can see i replaced the drip can they use with my catch can! you can do the same since i guess you already have a catch can!
and if you have an 01 or 02 it will be easier because the damm egr wont be in the way! and yea i love that site it has everything! and all the links work!! lol
i have a 2000 but i removed the air and egr so this is gonna be cake.. awesome info man. thanks a million. lastly tho, how much oil have you actually accumulated in the can and how long have you had it installed?
Old 02-03-2008 | 06:10 PM
Banned

i had it installed for lik 1,000 miles, my filters collect some oil mist but my catch can recently had a bunch of nasty *** condensation, it was a milky oily color! i recommend you do this mod man! you will see the oil that gets cought in the canand in the filters! i usally clean the filters with some carb cleaner when ever it gets dirty
Old 02-03-2008 | 06:47 PM
((((((Administrator))))))
20 Year Member

ONE catch can is fine, you do not need to obstruct with anything else. If your one catch can can't catch it all try another brand. My AMW catch can on both of my cars works great. Zero oil gets past them.

If that $40 does not work then sell it on eBay. Then get a better one if need be.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 02-03-2008 | 08:03 PM
Banned

That pic of the catch can is useless, how about a pic of whats inside of it, not a top view of the fittings. Love the pre-kinked rubber hose.
You need two catch cans on these cars, one in the pcv line and one in the breather line. The breather line is the one between the tb and pass valve cover.
Old 02-03-2008 | 08:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CRAGER
ONE catch can is fine, you do not need to obstruct with anything else. If your one catch can can't catch it all try another brand. My AMW catch can on both of my cars works great. Zero oil gets past them.

If that $40 does not work then sell it on eBay. Then get a better one if need be.

Peace,
Craig.
I think I'll just get an AMW.. the $40 one is ugly anyway. Thanks again Craig
Old 02-03-2008 | 08:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jxaxsxoxn
That pic of the catch can is useless, how about a pic of whats inside of it, not a top view of the fittings. Love the pre-kinked rubber hose.
You need two catch cans on these cars, one in the pcv line and one in the breather line. The breather line is the one between the tb and pass valve cover.
The seller provided me with that pic which I posted mainly to see if anyone recognized it.. Yeah I liked the pre kinked hose as well but as Crager said above, ONE catch can should do it. I've seen a lot of cans but I just don't know enough about them to know which ones are effective and such..
Old 02-03-2008 | 10:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 6THZ28
Crager said above, ONE catch can should do it. ..
Yea one per line.
Do a search.
Run your car semi hard and look in FRONT of the TB blade. Some cars will get a puddle of oil in the bellow and it comes from the breather hose.

Crankcase vapor gets sucked into the intake through the pcv valve connection when theres high manifold vacuum.

Crankcase vapor also gets sucked(or blown) into the TB from the passenger side valve cover through the breather hose during low manifold vacuum.

People who know use the dual catch can set up. One for each line, not two for one line.