General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Thinking about selling

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008 | 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Thinking about selling

i have had my t/a for a little over a year now. I love the car, everything about it. Sound, power, looks, everything. I have just found myself lately thinking about how much time I spend trying to get the car the way I want it. First it was an exhaust then a lid then a stall then a cam. I just keep putting money and more money into the car and yet still have so far to go. I had been thinking about putting on heads or even nitrous but then got to thinking well If I do that there is a chance my rear or tranny might go out there is another 2 grand I fork out that I really dont have. Gas has even been killing me lately getting 10-11 mpg in town. I know a T/a is not the car to have if I am worried about gas mileage. I am really torn on what to do. Een though I love having a car I get compliments on all the time and it does put a smile on my face I never use it te way it is supposed to be used :-/ I have NEVER been to the track and VERY RARELY race on the street (just lost a very close friend to a crash) I had been thinking of taking the stall out and going back to a stock one, help on gas mileage and I keep my car. Either way I am done making mods to the engine and the car is basically where its gonna stay... I think I would be very happy with a v6 vert camaro or firebird. I dunno...I have to stop visiting this site for one...its addicting Its like I have a car thats "fast" but I never use it....does anybody have any input on the situation? and if so what do you think I could get for my car? https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...674&highlight=

Last edited by homerunhtr21; 02-04-2008 at 01:15 AM.
Old 02-04-2008 | 12:43 AM
On The Tree

If you sell it I would say take the cubs license plate cover off and you will get quite a bit more out of it haha... just kiddin man. Keep it its a nice lookin ride
Old 02-04-2008 | 02:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Honestly? You'll regret it. Put the old stall back in(if the cam will allow), keep it as a SAFE toy, and keep it to remember the fun you and your friend had it in.
Old 02-04-2008 | 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

anybody else?
Old 02-04-2008 | 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

If you can't afford it, you don't need it.
Old 02-04-2008 | 12:19 PM
TECH Addict

First of all if you are only getting 10mpg you have a problem. I have a cam also and a bigger stall than you and I still easily see 17mpg around town.

Anyway. Getting into performance cars is addicting. Especially when you get on sites like this one and see all of these badass cars, it just makes you want to spend more money on yours to get it to go faster. The problem is that a lot of us don't know where to draw the line. Generally we do a modification, we enjoy the increased power for a couple weeks, and then start looking for something else to do. I guess it's like cocaine, you are always searching for your next hit.

Also in the process many of us mod our f-bodies so much that they become unsuitable for daily driving use, and then of course we need a beater car too

My best advice to you is to get a car that you are 100% happy with RIGHT NOW. Where you are happy with the power, the color, etc and will be content with it for a long time. If you'd rather have a V6 vert to cruise around in, get it. Though I'm not sure that would be a wise decision (going to really miss the power). If I were you I would find a slick convertible Z28, SS or trans am, buy that, and leave it ALONE. Find a nice one with low miles that is super clean, and just enjoy it for what it is.
Old 02-04-2008 | 12:31 PM
Banned

Dont sell it, put it back to stock and just enjoy it.

Or, go my route and just mod the **** out of it until you cant mod anymore, then sell it and buy something better and repeat.
Old 02-04-2008 | 12:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Go drive a V6 F-body and then come back here and tell how you liked it.

I'm speaking from experience, you know...

I traded my 95 Z28 for a 99 Firebird with similar thoughts you are having ("It'll be just fine" etc.) but that lasted pretty much less than a year. And haven't looked back ever since.

I have nothing whatsoever against V6 F-bodies, but, to me, there just is not contest between those two.

But to each his/her own, of course.
Old 02-04-2008 | 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

in terms of what you could get.... i dunno.

i would think you could get more if you took some of the less tasteful visual mods off.
Old 02-04-2008 | 02:29 PM
TECH Resident

Default idea !!!!!!

get a beater, park the t/a for a while then save it for when you will appreciate it , you'll be surprized how short a time that will take !!!!!!!!
Old 02-04-2008 | 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BadGTho
in terms of what you could get.... i dunno.

i would think you could get more if you took some of the less tasteful visual mods off.
Like what? nothing is on the car ?? ... The power has nothing to do with it...I had a v6 before and loved it call me crazy...I just think its time for me to move on to something else.
Old 02-04-2008 | 02:47 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by keliente
My best advice to you is to get a car that you are 100% happy with RIGHT NOW. Where you are happy with the power, the color, etc and will be content with it for a long time. If you'd rather have a V6 vert to cruise around in, get it. Though I'm not sure that would be a wise decision (going to really miss the power). If I were you I would find a slick convertible Z28, SS or trans am, buy that, and leave it ALONE. Find a nice one with low miles that is super clean, and just enjoy it for what it is.
This is excellent advice.

I left the racing scene in 2004. I was getting burned out on constantly tuning/fixing/modding a car for street/strip. And since I wasn't using the power much either (just didn't have time for the track anymore), there was really no reason to deal with the downsides (loss of driveability) of making all the extra power and barely ever using it.

So I found a mint condition, low mileage '98 Z28 that was optioned exactly how I wanted it. I've left it 95% stock, and been very happy with that for the last 3 years. I just cruise with it on nice days, enter it in car shows, and take it to Saturday night cruise spots. Even though I had grown used to a lot more power than a stock LS1 can provide, I actually have a lot of fun just enjoying the hassle free nature of a stock LS1 car. They still have some ***** even stock

Since that time, I've added a second Z28 that will be more of a daily driver in the near term, and eventually become my next project/race car. But the '98 will stay my stock, mint condition perfect weather show car/cruiser for as long as I own it.
Old 02-04-2008 | 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ very good advice in here, I would say even buy a 500-1000 dollar beater 4cyl 5spd car and get your mileage, and use your t/a for the weekends, or spend that 500 bucks getting a tune and your mileage will go back up. The grass is always greener on the other side. If you had a v6 before, then remember why you traded it for the t/a
Old 02-04-2008 | 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I have thought about that...I sold it becuase I thought I would enjoy the power and use it alot. But I was wrong, the town im in really isnt that great for crusing or even trying to go fast...Im sure I will miss the car some but I guess its just not for me at the time :-/
Old 02-04-2008 | 03:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

heres some food for thought, keep the T.A, stop modding her and take her off the road, and buy a v6 F-body, this way you'll have the best of both worlds, the nice weather/ badass T.A and a nice DD v6......best idea IMO.....i have a v6 myself and i cant stand it nemore! lmao, but if i was you and i had the money id jus keep the T.A and get a v6 as well.

BIG RED
Old 02-04-2008 | 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats the thing..I dont have the money..and while I love the firebird and camaro they are just not the 2 must have or must own cars to me
Old 02-04-2008 | 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't sell it. You will regret it later.

Stop modding. Enjoy the car for what it is etc etc.

Once you stop modding you'll be amazed on how much money you get saved up.

I am done with engine mods (just some basic bolt ons) and then just plan on re doing the suspension on my car and that is it.
Old 02-04-2008 | 04:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by homerunhtr21
thats the thing..I dont have the money..and while I love the firebird and camaro they are just not the 2 must have or must own cars to me
well then i go along with the rest of the guys on the other side of the field, if your not happy with it 102% then sell and get sommin you really want and tht ull be happy with. Thats all tht matters in the end.

BIG RED
Old 02-04-2008 | 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

or you could for sure sell some of your mods and buy a DD... with all those mods you have, im sure you could come up with enough money for a beater... just look around
you will lose power obviously, but you still have more power than about 90% of the people on the road
Old 02-04-2008 | 06:13 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by homerunhtr21
Then it is time for you to move on.

I can think of a ton of cars I've always loved, stuff that's affordable to me, but I just don't have the desire to own it for one reason or another. If that's how 4th gen F-bodies have become to you, then it's time to move on.

Who knows, maybe one day you might find your way back. I thought I was going to move away from these cars when I sold my WS6, but after a few months I was back..... and now I've got two at once.