General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Ideas needed. C6 Z06 or 03 KB Cobra?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 05:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C6Z with out a doubt. I am abandoning the Procharger instal on my SS and waiting for C6Z's to come down to around 45k. After seeing my local tuner with about 3-4 in the shop last time I dropped my car off, I had to have one.

No point in dumping $13k+ into modding an f-body. I will prob put down around 20k or so on the Z once I sell the catfish as well. This is all in hopes they come down to around 45k of course in the next yr or so.

Your Cobra was sick but a 600rwhp C6Z is much more appealing in every way. It is a different class of car.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think the main point of this thread is NOT C6 z06 v. KB cobra.
If it were, then C6 z06 all the way. The cars are not even in the same league (even the ford execs could not tell you differently while keeping a straight face). This question is comparable to Fbody v. civic/integra/prelude.

IT's the PRICE difference your concerned about, and at a 2:1 ratio you should be. The advantages of the z06 (over a KB cobra) are not quantifiable. It is not 1 or 2 (or even 10 factors) that give the Z06 the advantage. It is the overall desirability of the car that gives it its allure. Face it, it is probably one of the most sought after non-exotics out there.
In addition, the c6 z06 are reasonably rare. You simply don't see one every day (or even every month in my part of the woods).

Unfortunately in our society, demand (i.e. desirability) and supply (rareness) drive price, which in the case of the c6 z06 is about $50-60 grand used.

The real question you should ask yourself is whether or not you are willing to shell out the $$$ for a new z06?
If so, congrats you will own one of the most elite sportscars that are currently available.
If not, then you must settle for an inferior vehicle, such as a KB cobra.

BTW: I am extremelly envious of your "predicament".
Old 05-03-2008, 07:07 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by landonew
I think the main point of this thread is NOT C6 z06 v. KB cobra.
If it were, then C6 z06 all the way. The cars are not even in the same league (even the ford execs could not tell you differently while keeping a straight face). This question is comparable to Fbody v. civic/integra/prelude.

IT's the PRICE difference your concerned about, and at a 2:1 ratio you should be. The advantages of the z06 (over a KB cobra) are not quantifiable. It is not 1 or 2 (or even 10 factors) that give the Z06 the advantage. It is the overall desirability of the car that gives it its allure. Face it, it is probably one of the most sought after non-exotics out there.
In addition, the c6 z06 are reasonably rare. You simply don't see one every day (or even every month in my part of the woods).

Unfortunately in our society, demand (i.e. desirability) and supply (rareness) drive price, which in the case of the c6 z06 is about $50-60 grand used.

The real question you should ask yourself is whether or not you are willing to shell out the $$$ for a new z06?
If so, congrats you will own one of the most elite sportscars that are currently available.
If not, then you must settle for an inferior vehicle, such as a KB cobra.

BTW: I am extremelly envious of your "predicament".
Great post man except I dont think youve owned a KB Cobra.
They are so much fun and very cheap for 600+rwhp. THATS the delima.

I do feel its worth $75 more a week to ride in a C6Z though.

Im going with C6Z as long as its liveable like everyone says. Hopefully I dont go out one night and get my *** handed to me by a 700rwhp 3.4 Cobra. VERY possible actually.

I guess its all a gamble.

On a side note, if anyone needs great auto financing, the guy who bought my SS just used this company and they transfered the money into his account and he used it like a check. Very good rates too. PM me for a link if you need it.

Hey, no reason to be envious, I'll be paying out the azz to have a used 06.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:20 PM

Like said, all about what you want to shell out. Put a procharger on it and a 3.4 KB will never touch it. But that will add about $6K to your budget.

Face it you will not leave the C6 Z06 stock.

As for the half shafts, I have seen near stock cobra's break them at the track. They both have that, not just the vette.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by davered00ss
Like said, all about what you want to shell out. Put a procharger on it and a 3.4 KB will never touch it. But that will add about $6K to your budget.

Face it you will not leave the C6 Z06 stock.

As for the half shafts, I have seen near stock cobra's break them at the track. They both have that, not just the vette.

Ofcourse not!

Here was a recent 2006 Z that did not meet the $50K reserve. The seller wrote me and it sold for $49,500. Very nice silver 06 here in Florida.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 05-03-2008, 07:32 PM
11 Second Club

C6 Z hands down, I wouldnt even pause to think about it. Im sure driving a 600hp Cobra is fun but I would drive a Z06 and compare, cant imagine they would be any less of a blast to drive even in stock form.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
Great post man except I dont think youve owned a KB Cobra.
This is true, I have never owned one. I am sure they are a blast. I know my ws6 is a lot of fun, and it has significantly less rwhp than the cobra. Didn't intend to downplay the relevance or quality of the kb cobra, just trying to clarify the question to those who posted "the c6 Z06 all the way". Its not an apples v. apples comparision. Its apples v. oranges + 25grand. Sure, everyone wants the orange, but not everyone has the extra 25 grand.

Im going with C6Z as long as its liveable like everyone says. Hopefully I dont go out one night and get my *** handed to me by a 700rwhp 3.4 Cobra. VERY possible actually.
Who cares if you do... I got beat by a guy in a turbo prelude back when i was a simple bolt on car, and it didn't bother me (at least not after a few therapy sessions ). If you wanted a *****-out fast car for the highway you could of kept the z28 and put 25 grand into it.
Look at it this way. Say you buy the z06 and get beat by some KB cobra. After beating you, do you think he would hesitate to trade his addmitedly faster car for your z06 straight up? I don't believe he would have to think about it very long, do you?

Have fun with the rental car. I doubt it remains a rental for too long. Be sure and post up your experiance, and do a short comparision between the 3 cars. Cheers
Old 05-03-2008, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by landonew
This is true, I have never owned one. I am sure they are a blast. I know my ws6 is a lot of fun, and it has significantly less rwhp than the cobra. Didn't intend to downplay the relevance or quality of the kb cobra, just trying to clarify the question to those who posted "the c6 Z06 all the way". Its not an apples v. apples comparision. Its apples v. oranges + 25grand. Sure, everyone wants the orange, but not everyone has the extra 25 grand.

Who cares if you do... I got beat by a guy in a turbo prelude back when i was a simple bolt on car, and it didn't bother me (at least not after a few therapy sessions ). If you wanted a *****-out fast car for the highway you could of kept the z28 and put 25 grand into it.
Look at it this way. Say you buy the z06 and get beat by some KB cobra. After beating you, do you think he would hesitate to trade his addmitedly faster car for your z06 straight up? I don't believe he would have to think about it very long, do you?

Have fun with the rental car. I doubt it remains a rental for too long. Be sure and post up your experiance, and do a short comparision between the 3 cars. Cheers

Excelent post and halarious. I will take some pics and do a review for the other guys who will consider this in the near future. Im worried I wont want to give the Vette back!
Old 05-04-2008, 12:10 AM
12 Second Club

C6 Z06 hands down
Old 05-04-2008, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

I love the look of Cobra's and they perform well, but there is something the C6 Z06.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:43 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

c6 Z
Old 05-04-2008, 09:42 PM
Teching In

man, this is like a c6z love fest here, but i am going to go the other way, i think the cobra is a better choice for you, yes the z06 is a rare car but in its own right so is the cobra, in fact there were only 9000 made in 2003 and about the same in 2004, i dont know what the numbers are for the z06, but this is not about desirability, as some think, if you buy a z06 just to say you have one or to get in a girls pants you might have some issues below the belt, lol, the reason you buy these cars is for neck snapping speed, all in all the thing to consider most is if you drive a car as little as you do, do you spend 50k plus, and even more on parts to just get above 650 hp or only 25k to get the same results, this is reality not fantasy, to spend that much on a car you dive just 50 to 100 miles a month just does not make sense, plus once i get the 3.4 whipple in my cobra you will have to spray every time just to keep up with a c6z lol
Old 05-04-2008, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by ls1scamaro
man, this is like a c6z love fest here, but i am going to go the other way, i think the cobra is a better choice for you, yes the z06 is a rare car but in its own right so is the cobra, in fact there were only 9000 made in 2003 and about the same in 2004, i dont know what the numbers are for the z06, but this is not about desirability, as some think, if you buy a z06 just to say you have one or to get in a girls pants you might have some issues below the belt, lol, the reason you buy these cars is for neck snapping speed, all in all the thing to consider most is if you drive a car as little as you do, do you spend 50k plus, and even more on parts to just get above 650 hp or only 25k to get the same results, this is reality not fantasy, to spend that much on a car you dive just 50 to 100 miles a month just does not make sense, plus once i get the 3.4 whipple in my cobra you will have to spray every time just to keep up with a c6z lol

Exactly why Im considering the 2 and yes, that second part would suck. I can see 3.4's with the larger inlet/TB making 720-750rwhp on some octane.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

depends on taste but the vette is my choice, better platform, especially weight wise
Old 05-04-2008, 10:36 PM
TECH Resident

im not going to write a book... get the c6
Old 05-04-2008, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Obviously I think the C6 Z is a better car. However, I would only get it if you could easily afford it. If you get the KB cobra you have a very fast and fun car without pushing your financial limits. Im not saying to get the cobra, but I am saying only get the z06 if it is well within your means.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by unit213
Easy choice...C6 Z06.

Cam / Intake / Exhaust / Nitrous / Tires = look the **** out!
Very well put.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

C6 z is my choice. You've already had a kb cobra so its time for something new. And who cares about about a 700hp 3.4 whippled cobra when you can have a 700hp c6 z06!

a z06 with h/c/i and a 125 shot would be crazy fast!
Old 05-04-2008, 11:36 PM
10 Second Club

If you like the KB s/c then go get a c5z and put the kb on that and that would be bitch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLBHsFYsIck
this one c6z
https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/895200-vengeance-modified-c6-z-runs-10s-138mph-stock-runflats-dyno-results-inside.html

Last edited by blu byu EH; 05-04-2008 at 11:55 PM. Reason: found this for the c6z
Old 05-05-2008, 12:02 AM
TECH Addict

Well look at it this way too, you get the z06 and not only is there a status thing that goes with it.
Not only that, but it will be STOCK and not tinkered with. A KB Cobra obviously has. I've learned not to trust other peoples craftsmanship unless I personally know them.