General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Ideas needed. C6 Z06 or 03 KB Cobra?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 04:57 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 99camarosupersport
Dude around here that does my tranny work had a brand new c6z when they first came out, he had a 150shot on it i believe?? anyway he took it to the track all of the time and was actually TRYING to blow the motor.
last I talked to him it was still holding up.

Im sure at the stock level of 450rwhp the 150 shot would be fine, but when its at 600rwhp and THEN adding the 100 shot, I am wondering how it will do. The sleeves are thin so Im gonna do more searching. I wish we had a member on here that had a H/C/N20 C6Z that I could ask. Fadi is cam/tune I believe.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dmart
If making a number is the only thing you are concerned about.
Cost and bang for the buck are the only numbers i care about.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
Im sure at the stock level of 450rwhp the 150 shot would be fine, but when its at 600rwhp and THEN adding the 100 shot, I am wondering how it will do. The sleeves are thin so Im gonna do more searching. I wish we had a member on here that had a H/C/N20 C6Z that I could ask. Fadi is cam/tune I believe.

Thanks for everyone's input.
not to go offtopic, but what do you do that allows you to have an srt8 and purchase a new zo6?
Old 05-09-2008, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by sloganish
not to go offtopic, but what do you do that allows you to have an srt8 and purchase a new zo6?
Well its a used 300C SRT8 ($31K) and a used C6Z ($50K) and really the reason for the thread is Im worried if I do buy a C6Z, I wont have enough money to do what I want to it and have a small savings.

Im a CEI Engineering inspector. I inspect all the raodway asphalt work for construction projects. We also inspect the ground and concrete placed at all job sites. I sit in my truck reading Mustang mags 70% of the day really at $20hr with plenty of overtime.
My wife is the HR at our small company. Actually when you pay your debt off, you would be surprised how far you money goes.

Im leaning towards Cobra but I cant find one with a Whipple/solid modded already that I like. This could all change tomorrow though.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:12 PM
12 Second Club

trader remember ponys are for lil girls even if it does have a million horse power
Old 05-09-2008, 11:17 PM
12 Second Club

the way i see it is that yes maybe u have had a mustang befor but u have come on to this side of the fence and theres no goin back.... a c6z would be a dream to me and prolly alot of other people, i drove down the raod the other day ans saw a black done up one and automaticaly i knew..... DONT **** WITH THAT

when i see any kind of mustang i always think i have a chance

unless it pops a wheelie next to me then i run away and hide
Old 05-11-2008, 09:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well its a used 300C SRT8 ($31K) and a used C6Z ($50K) and really the reason for the thread is Im worried if I do buy a C6Z, I wont have enough money to do what I want to it and have a small savings.

Im a CEI Engineering inspector. I inspect all the raodway asphalt work for construction projects. We also inspect the ground and concrete placed at all job sites. I sit in my truck reading Mustang mags 70% of the day really at $20hr with plenty of overtime.
My wife is the HR at our small company. Actually when you pay your debt off, you would be surprised how far you money goes.

Im leaning towards Cobra but I cant find one with a Whipple/solid modded already that I like. This could all change tomorrow though.
Man I am in a smiliar position as you haha. I want another fast car so bad (your in a better position that I already having the srt-8) but there are so many other things out there to spend money on I have to refrain for the time. I want a vette so bad right now but I just bought a house 6 months ago and my GF is in medical school so dropping thousands of dollars on a vette just inst the best investment for me. Sucks being the only bread winner in the house but I figure im 25 and shes 22 so once she finishes medical school and starts making some money then ill go all out and get my dream car. I work though as a senior financial analyst for Fidelity and I have to say if you have the spare cash now start deffering as much as you can into your 401K because the time value of money in an investment account is critical to having millions at retirement and with the market being fairly depressed right now you can buy shares of mutual funds at quite a discount. I mainly research our potential investments and provide my analysis/opinion on what we should invest in and what we shouldnt but I work with some of our senior financial advisors all the time and man after speaking with them I cant stress how important it is to save. Sorry if I sound like a parent haha and good luck on your choice!
Old 05-11-2008, 09:47 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Get the cobra and save 25 G's..Its still a badass car and looks good as hell..they def get respect, and a whipple/KB cobra is no joke...
Old 05-11-2008, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would say the C6ZO6, if you wanted to spend less you could always get a C6 and mod it but im not sure how much you are saving plus I believe the ZO6 is quite a bit lighter. Im sure the KB Cobras are fast but a modded ZO6 should be quicker. I wouldnt plan on the ZO6 handling nitrous though.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Staging Lane

I'd take the C6 Z06 over a Cobra in a heartbeat. No contest. It's like comparing a teeny bopper car to a real car. Sure you can make a Cobra fast, but it's still a Mustang. The same Mustang you'll see in high school parking lots all over the country. It's probably time to step up to a grown up car. I'll probably face some heat for this Baahahaha!!! (but it's true)

As far as making either car fast, what's the point? I've done the fast stuff and still have some big HP stuff. Everything you do to make a car fast is a trade off, and many times it's really not worth it. I'd buy the C6 Z06 and maybe add just a few bolt on mods at the most, then just enjoy the car. If you run on to a Cobra making big power just smile and know his race is over as soon as the first turn comes along.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by z28_YOU_HO
Get the cobra and save 25 G's..Its still a badass car and looks good as hell..they def get respect, and a whipple/KB cobra is no joke...
Perfect post. Although the C6Z is a better car, for what I use it for and how rarely I actually use it, it makes more cents () to go Cobra. I gotta start being more responsible and start saving more money instead of wasting it on cars.

I cant remember where I read this quote but it kinda sums it up.

"Spending money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know..."

Some smart guy.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

You could put a kenne bell on a c5z. Also im not sure if whipple makes a supercharger for the corvettes, but i know for sure kenne bell does
Old 05-11-2008, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
Man I am in a smiliar position as you haha. I want another fast car so bad (your in a better position that I already having the srt-8) but there are so many other things out there to spend money on I have to refrain for the time. I want a vette so bad right now but I just bought a house 6 months ago and my GF is in medical school so dropping thousands of dollars on a vette just inst the best investment for me. Sucks being the only bread winner in the house but I figure im 25 and shes 22 so once she finishes medical school and starts making some money then ill go all out and get my dream car. I work though as a senior financial analyst for Fidelity and I have to say if you have the spare cash now start deffering as much as you can into your 401K because the time value of money in an investment account is critical to having millions at retirement and with the market being fairly depressed right now you can buy shares of mutual funds at quite a discount. I mainly research our potential investments and provide my analysis/opinion on what we should invest in and what we shouldnt but I work with some of our senior financial advisors all the time and man after speaking with them I cant stress how important it is to save. Sorry if I sound like a parent haha and good luck on your choice!

You are more than correct. I (we all) get caught up in keeping up with the Jones' and should spend more time planning for the fast approaching future. I have my retired Father living with me, a baby in the next 2-3 yrs and only about 4K in savings. The taxes alone on buying a C6Z would be $3500. Its not really smart since even though I can afford the payment, I really cant "afford it with all the other" responsibilities and be able to mod it and fix it when it breaks. Corvette "tax" is really something to consider as well. I should just put a Vortec on our SRT8 and save ALL the money really.

Old 05-11-2008, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Black02SLPSS
You could put a kenne bell on a c5z. Also im not sure if whipple makes a supercharger for the corvettes, but i know for sure kenne bell does
True but by the time you buy a C5Z at $26K (I dont really like C5's) and then add the S/C ($7-10 more with correct supporting mods) youre still looking at 600rwhp +/- without a forged shortblock/heads/cam. A 650-700 rwhp Cobra @25K will be just as fun if not more since youre not worried so much about breaking something, with a solid rear at least.

Good idea though.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:55 PM
12 Second Club

take (c6 zo6 next) out of your sig and add Whipple/KB cobra!!!!
Old 05-11-2008, 01:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

if an essarrteefore is just a neon... a cobra is just a mustang. GET THE VETTE. or just wait on the new camaro. or hell. get the new cts-v coupe that is gonna be s/c with 550 STOCK. and your riding in a caddy. a ***** *** FAST CADDY.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by z28_YOU_HO
take (c6 zo6 next) out of your sig and add Whipple/KB cobra!!!!
Watch what I write in it!
Old 05-11-2008, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by theycallmealex89
if an essarrteefore is just a neon... a cobra is just a mustang. GET THE VETTE. or just wait on the new camaro. or hell. get the new cts-v coupe that is gonna be s/c with 550 STOCK. and your riding in a caddy. a ***** *** FAST CADDY.
The 09 Camaro is gonna weigh a ton, the Caddy even more and honestly it will be difficult to make either of them perform for anywhere near $30K like an 03 3.4L Whipple Cobra will.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:21 PM
12 Second Club

Watch what I write in it!
Hahhahaha
Old 05-11-2008, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

For cost reasons, the Cobra makes sense but if I was in your shoes I would go for the C6 Z06 just because it's so damn sexy. When you see that thing in your garage, the number of smiles on your face should outweigh the mounds of debt.

In all seriousness, good luck on your purchase, whatever it may end up being.