General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: Have F-bodies visually withstood the test of time??
Hell yea! Still looks as cutting edge as the day I bought it!
82.22%
Its beginning to look dated.
17.22%
Damn thing looks like an antique.
0.56%
Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Are F-bodies visually withstanding the test of time??

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 01:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Texfinn
Just FYI: The last F-body rolled off the line less than 6 years ago. On August 28th, 2002, to be exact.

a date that will live in infamy

My g/f said as we were driving in my car the other day, and we pulled up next to an 05ish gto, i said I almost bought one of those instead, which do you like better... she said the GTO and I immediately flipped out and punched her in THE FACE.... just kidding but I was like why... and she said, your car just looks dated... I almost teared :X

I did have a black guy literally gawking at my car after I got done washing it the other day, which I thought is kind of strange because I don't see hardly any black guys rollin in f-body's. Maybe 2 ever! But I still get the compliments, and it makes you feel good when somebody looks at your car and you can see there jaw hit the ground, ya know!?

Last edited by liquidsmooth; 06-20-2008 at 01:44 PM.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You wouldn't believe how many times people ask me if my car is new.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Resident

Still not seen car more aggressive then ws6
Old 06-20-2008, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Our cars will stay classic!
Old 06-20-2008, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think they are a bit outdated. It is a cool car to take out on weekends and too enthusiasts events (i.e. car shows) and too the track, but for everyday driving I would imagine that most feel as if it is somewhat dated. I mean, when ordinary people see it on the street on their way to work they don't think of it as a cool new car, but rather a nice car that is probably 5-10 years old.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:49 PM
Launching!

F-body looks are timeless they would always look like bad *** cars, that would eat any ricer or mustang alive. Almost every time that i drive my trans am around some one always says man thats a sweet ride, or damn love that car, or just stare at it. Probably cause there aren't that many around in new jersey!
Old 06-20-2008, 04:04 PM
10 Second Club

Cool

i drive an 01SS, people luv it, its a keeper for me, in fact my grandson wants it when he's able to drive...just my $.o2
Old 06-20-2008, 04:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1996firebirdformula
Still not seen car more aggressive then ws6
x2
the LS1 WS6 looks more modern and more aggresive for sure the the LS1 camaro. that said, they both could still pass as new if well kept to the untrained eye. some guy asked my friend who has an 02 WS6 why Pontiac would have 2 competing cars (the t/a and the GTO)
Old 06-20-2008, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hell I think every year looks bad ***! There not "dated" there each a historical turning point in the muscle car timeline! I have seen some bad *** 67's and I think they even look new and would fit in with new models. Yeah our cars will be the "old model" once the 5th gen comes out and we won’t have the new body style anymore but I'm fine with that. I think the 4th gens still fit right in I mean I have people ask me if my car is a 2007-2008 model.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

I, for one, definitely don't think our cars look dated! And I seem to be the minority that DEFINITELY prefers the look of an SS over a WS6 any day of the week. (I love WS6s, btw, so don't trip lol) I think the LS1 Camaros are some of the most beautiful machines I've ever laid eyes on!
Old 06-20-2008, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wabmorgan
^^^^ I could give you that one on the Mustangs. However.... our 4th gens still look more modern than the retro 5th gens and retro Mustangs..

Originally Posted by Justin00SS
Yeah you keep thinking that until you sit in a newer mustang or camaro and realize you hate your squeaky cheap plastic in your "modern" 93-02 f-body.

You won't find me sitting in a newer Mustang or Camaro.

I'd rather have squeaky plastic any day rather than a retro. I HATE RETROS. Btw, mine doesn't squeak any way.

Now the C6 is another story. It is a modren design and looks a hell of a lot better than the retro Camaro or Mustang.

Last edited by wabmorgan; 06-20-2008 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:46 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by aaron653
the oldest fbody was made in 67...
Im sure he means 4th gen F-bods.

And this is completely off topic but Sharpe, post number 41, how do you have 5 and a half million posts?!?

Last edited by 01bird58; 06-20-2008 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:59 PM
TECH Regular

to me the camaros have lost their appeal to look at. they just look like a wedge that should be holding you door open, but thats great for racing for less air resistance. the trans am though, still looks like a beast. from 98-02 they are probably the best looking fbody ever , but that is just my .02 worth.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:22 PM
Launching!

I think the cars hold up well, the square headlights on the 93-97's are a bit dated though. They seem to be going away even when the first 4th gens came out...
Old 06-20-2008, 10:33 PM
TECH Resident

Yea I agree these things definitely dont feel outdated, the only thing thats starting to is the interior (Compared to newer cars obviously, but in 2002, someone with a like 91 bird would be saying the same thing)

But even so, In a way I sort of want that newish interior, but sort of dont. I would only take it if it was like a new vette or camaro or something :O
Old 06-20-2008, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

I think that the only thing that somewhat dates the 4th gen f-body is the long front and rear overhang. The "new" styles seem to favor very short overhangs - especially in the front. Other than that, the 4th gens still hold up well.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:50 PM
On The Tree

I have to say, some guys seem self-conscious and downright insecure about their cars. The newsflash is: F bodies have been dated since the 90's, and I could give two flying *****.

Give me a 77 Bandit Trans Am, that car is dated and gaudy as hell, but it still looks bad ***! These cars are the kind of vehicles you have to "pull off", not everyone can do it. Not everyone's gonna like your car, F bodies are far from the "hot new thing".

I'm happy when people like my car and compliment it, but I could care less if they don't. "Dated" is not something real car guys worry about, in my opinion.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingc8r
None of my cars have squeaked. Even my Camaro, as far as interior goes. I have noises from my exhaust but that was due to not being installed correctly which has been fixed.

I've heard horror stories about squeaky F-Bodies, I think it matter how the car was taken care of. All the F-bods I've been in have been solid so no squeaks or very minimal squeaks there.

I also don't think our intrerior is that bad. It gives you a good drivers position, which is why the new Mustangs have a similar setup.

I don't expect steller interior from our cars because of the market focus they're in. Sure we could get nicer interior, but we'd pay for it. I'd rather keep the good enough interior and have a great car for a great price
Originally Posted by wabmorgan
You won't find me sitting in a newer Mustang or Camaro.

I'd rather have squeaky plastic any day rather than a retro. I HATE RETROS. Btw, mine doesn't squeak any way.

Now the C6 is another story. It is a modren design and looks a hell of a lot better than the retro Camaro or Mustang.
I didn't think mine squeaked either until I rode in my buddies' cammed GTO. Then I forgot about it and couldn't hear it. Then I rode in another buddies' G35, another one has an a4. Every time I ride in any of those cars I notice how quiet and more refined they seem on the inside.

Don't get me wrong. I love my car and I'm a simple guy and easily pleased. My car has all I need. Power, steering wheels, radio, and nice exhaust. I can do without all the amenities that some upper model cars come with (heated seats, dual climate control, ect) but I do wish the interior was made of something a little better than the cheap plastic that it is made of.

Its ok really because the mustang (its competitor) has just a cheap of an interior.

You say you don't like the new camaro's and mustangs now. But then again people said the same thing about the f-bodies and mustangs when they changed back in 93 and 94.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:30 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by 01bird58
Very true. I think 4th gen F-bodies have looked fresh for so long b/c a new model hasn't hit the roads to make it seem outdated. IMO when C6's came out, C5's began to look really dated not to long thereafter.
That's because the C6's look tons better than the C5. The new Camaro is IMO completely uninspired and looks like a giant boat. It's a knockoff of what Ford and Dodge beat them to. I think it looks terrible compared to the 4th gens, and like typical GM, they took so long, it's not even interesting to hardly anyone anymore. IMO, the new Camaros will only make the old ones look even better. If I wanted a boat, I'd get a boating license.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah. I wish they hadn't have gone retro with it. Not saying it doesn't look good to me because I actually like it.

But something closer to what my camaro looks like would have been better imo. Completely different car but still close to what works.

Quick Reply: Poll: Are F-bodies visually withstanding the test of time??