General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

going from ls1 to lt1

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default going from ls1 to lt1

I've got an '02 SS with bolt ons right now and i've got about 11000 left to pay on it. Money's tight and the payments are getting to be very hard to pay. I'm really considering selling it to pay off the loan and getting an lt1 which i could pay off quickly and be done with car payments. Theres a really nice white '97 for 5000 near me that is completely stock. It's an A4 and my SS is an m6 so i'm going to miss shifting, but this car has T-tops and mine doesn't. I'd like to get it to run 11's, and it will be my daily driver. I'm thinking full bolt-ons, new rear with 3.73's, and a high 220-low 230's cam, maybe heads. I know this wont be a very popular choice here, but i'd also go for a '98 cobra if i found one local. What do yal think I should do?
Old 07-04-2008, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

I'm 19 years old, I have an apartment, a 6 cylinder 02 camaro and a 02 firehawk trans am. I make the payments for the place, gas, both cars and insurance + food AND pay off a little bit of my interest loans for college. You can do it. Keep the SS.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As i have stated several times I have personally owned 12 4th Gen F-bodies. 6 LS1 cars and 6 Lt1 cars. The Lt1 is a great engine in my opinion. I had one that had 181,000 miles on it and it ran like a champ. I had a LS1 that has 155,000 miles on it and it's still going strong today as it was sold to a member on this site. As far as gas mileage and response to mods and easiness to work on. LS1 hands down. Also if you aren't big on doing your own work or repairs you will not like the LT1. Lots of shops here don't even want to work on LT1's anymore. Stick with your current car or sell it and try to get a little older LS1 that you can afford. Good Luck
Old 07-04-2008, 10:42 PM
TECH Regular

No offense to the lt1 guys but why would you want to trade down? You have a modified ls1 now and owe 11000, you want to buy a 5000 lt1 and mod it to put it in the 11s hmmmm sounds like your looking to throw alot of money at the lt1. Doesnt make much sense stay where your at.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:52 PM
TECH Resident

If you want to do big mods I would stick to the LS1 since the aftermarket support is better. Personally I am happy with my car and have no plans to get an LS1 but then I don't have any big plans for it, I just want a fun street car. If you do end up getting an LT1 I'd like to hear what you think after you make the switch. A lot of people say that stock for stock the LS1 doesn't feel faster than the LT1 despite the power difference. That's one reason that I have no regrets on not holding out for an LS1.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Keep the SS!
Old 07-04-2008, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

i'd do most of the work myself, and what i couldn't do, I've got friends to help me with. It's just really tempting to go from the ls1 that i have 11000 left to pay on, to a nice fully paid for lt1. From what i've heard, you can get lt1's into the 11's cam-only, just like ls1's(maybe a bigger cam, idk). And my future plan is once i get out of school and have a better income, get a new DD and the camaro will turn into a track car, so the fact that my current SS is newer and nicer, wont really matter in the futer. I'm still just considering it though.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

by the time u get the lt1 where u want it, u could have paid off the ls1....makes no sense.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Getting an lt1 into the 11s cam only requires a well thought out setup. Decent size cam, all the boltons done right, good tuning, good tires, parts that mesh, etc. Not everyone is willing to put the effort and cost into doing that, and so you have a lot of cammed lt1s running 12s. This is of course assuming you don't make it into a total track car with lots of weight reduction, huge stall etc.

With the ls1, having a perfectly built setup isn't needed, it's just stick in a cam and yeah you've got 11s.

So I agree with the others in saying, by the time you get a setup that works well for a cam only lt1 in the 11s, you could have just about paid off the ls1.

Last edited by infinitebird; 07-05-2008 at 12:28 AM.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:42 PM
TECH Regular

Man I think you would really regret it if you gave up a car like that. If it's too overwhelming the most I would do is maybe sell the SS and get an LS1 m6 z28 instead. At least you'll have the same motor and a 6spd. I'm an LT1 guy, don't get me wrong I love my car, it's a freakin torque monster. You can get an LT1 damn quick with a heads and cams package BUT you do roughly the same mods to an LS1 and you'll beat that LT1 almost every time. That's partially why I haven't put my cam in or any further mods lately. It's getting to the point that it's more practical for me to put an LS1 in the car.

It comes down to the fact that the LS1 is just better engineered, what do you expect it's a newer motor?

Anyways honestly if you have to sell some mods or just pick up some extra hours at work do it, but the last thing I would do if I was in your shoes is sell that car for an LT1. I just think a couple years down the road you would be kicking yourself.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:44 PM
12 Second Club

Try to figure out a way to make the payments..I had both and an ls1 is soo much better
Old 07-04-2008, 11:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Formula413
If you want to do big mods I would stick to the LS1 since the aftermarket support is better. Personally I am happy with my car and have no plans to get an LS1 but then I don't have any big plans for it, I just want a fun street car. If you do end up getting an LT1 I'd like to hear what you think after you make the switch. A lot of people say that stock for stock the LS1 doesn't feel faster than the LT1 despite the power difference. That's one reason that I have no regrets on not holding out for an LS1.
Sorry ill call Shananegans right now on that. I had a modded 96 LT1. Short throw, Spec clutch kit, Flowmaster catback, ORY, MSD Opti/Coil, High flow intake elbow, and CAI. Sold it and a few months later got my LS1. Bone stock LS1 i might add. Feels 10x Faster than my LT1 EVER did in ANY rpm range. No offense on any LT1 car, but LS1 PWNS it anyday of the week sorry.

To the OP, Keep it, refinance it. If you get an LT1 you will regret it all day everyday.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

i get what yal are saying. i think i'll try to find an older ls1 z28 that i can sell mine and pick up. or they could trade with cash or something. I think I could make the payments, its just that I'd much rather have a cheaper car and put the payment money into mods instead.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:55 PM
Teching In

I say ls1 or bust, it makes no sense to go backwards... unless of course your financial situation deems selling the car altogether and not getting another car.

Would you break up with your super model girlfriend and then date a girl who needs a boob job, and then pay for her ***** to get done... and then you realize her nose is a little off.. then paying for that.. then you realize that she is a little older than your previous girlfriend so you need to pay for a face lift...

I think not.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:00 AM
On The Tree

you plan on turning this into a track car anyway. just save the money and keep it as a DD untill you get to that point in your life.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mykah89
I say ls1 or bust, it makes no sense to go backwards... unless of course your financial situation deems selling the car altogether and not getting another car.

Would you break up with your super model girlfriend and then date a girl who needs a boob job, and then pay for her ***** to get done... and then you realize her nose is a little off.. then paying for that.. then you realize that she is a little older than your previous girlfriend so you need to pay for a face lift...

I think not.
Good job putting it in words i understand haha

but yea, i'm gonna try selling mine for another ls1 under 8000.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:03 AM
Teching In

Ahh when super models are too high maintenance and you just want something you can curl up on the couch with alone.. sure shes not perfect.. but with a little bit of tlc, you think you can deal with it
Old 07-05-2008, 11:23 AM
12 Second Club

Are you suggesting that he should just say **** it and get a pillow?

I would just sell the thing and find a cheaper example. There's plenty of these cars out there with less than 80,000 miles for less than $8,000. If you can't afford the one you got, what's the point of letting it be a drag? Toys aren't fun when you don't enjoy them.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

doesnt make sense to me,
to build a old lt1 for ls1 car,
keep the ls1 car and pay it off, u will regret it everyday if u go with a lt1, let alone a 98' mod motor cobra, thats even worse! the motor in that cobra might as well be a fvcking v6! it sucks!
if the lt1 is a 2 step down, then the cobra is the bottom of the stairwell
Old 07-05-2008, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

Cut expenses, save the car. Don't get an lt1 and then dump a ton of money in it. The ls1 is better, we all know this. You already own it and owe some money on it. In short - cut expenses, pay off the loan, get another job, do something. Makes no sense from a car value POV to regress.