General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Just got my license!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

t'sno worse. this is kinda funny, i asked my sister if i could use her little dodge spirit i believe is what it's called to take the test my mom's truck was to big to parAlel park easy. It was still cold outside and we got in the car(i had previously started it when he checked the turn signal blinkers) but it ran so quiet you could'nt hear the engine and it died we rolled down the hill of the parking lot. He really went of on me to, saying i had no control of the vehicle and such. I wanted to slap him wright then and there. We came up to a 4way and i had to turn right, well i guess from his position he could see but ihad to pull up cause of all these plant's and decoration in these people's yard. The whole ordeal took probaly a little less then a minute and he told me i took to long, and that someone might try to go around me and pull out in front of someone and hit somebody it'd be my fault. I did get some revenge on the guy though. Just as soon as we got back to the bmv a guy asked me how the instructor was i said very loudly oh he's a ******* ******** ******* combination.

Last edited by Kmaroman; 07-08-2008 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
I was told by my instructor about 4 years ago that it was 9 and 3, so that's what I did and was fine. Maybe it is 10 and 2 or 9 and 3, whichever perhaps, as long as both hands are on the wheel? Don't know, I'd just go with what they told him.
true, just do everything you told and always keep both hands on the wheel. then once you pass and get a license you can drive however, i always just my left hand at 9 or 6, rarely do i use both hands ever.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 94TRANS
true, just do everything you told and always keep both hands on the wheel. then once you pass and get a license you can drive however, i always just my left hand at 9 or 6, rarely do i use both hands ever.
Yeah if I'm cruising around town or on some side roads and whatnot I'm at 12 with my left typically, good range of motion for turns and such. When on the highway the left is at 9 and I lean the elbow on the armrest. Two hands when in foul weather though, always.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CamaroLover
LOL, that's crazy. Everyday till you pass, haha. But it's not a big deal. I can wait two weeks. It's not like I have a car either to drive.
This raises a flag to me man. Seeing as your in NJ like me and I just went through my drivers test last month(Also 17). In that situation, you just have to be as polite as anything. I bet if you didn't say anything to him when he got in the car you could have passed. Anyway, I am one of the ones who got an LS1 as my first car. I bought it in January and have been modding it before I've even really driven it. I have a little over 3K between tune up and performance parts in the car to make it what I want. I have been driving now for a little over a month without any close calls with cops or anything. I consider myself pretty mature and I don't speed or do stupid ****. I do drive the car hard to a certain extent. It is a 6spd and I do bang 1st and 2nd gears once in a while, but by the time I shift into 2nd I'm slamming on the breaks because before you know it you are doing over 55 mph in a 45 mph zone. Just be smart and set goals and you will get the car you want. I got my car with a little over 6 months in savings from a part time job and get paid well for the amount of work I do and for my age(I'm making $9 an hour pumping gas).
Old 07-08-2008, 05:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please use your turn signals, and move back over into the right lane after passing. These two things are the most retarded things 75%+ drivers around me do, and they are def. the cause of road rage.

I was a really mature kid when I got my first car, but I managed to wrack up a lot of tickets. Never know whats going to happen til you have those keys in your hands. In other words I was still a good kid, but kinda stupid behind the wheel that first year.
It was a 86 v6 5 speed Camaro btw, enough to get into trouble with, BUT it was a manual, had no ABS, and driving in FL rain. I think I learned a lot, I would get a vehicle that doesn't aid the driver, so you can learn how to drive, not have faith that the vehicle is going to save you.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Failed?
Old 07-08-2008, 06:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SchultzLT1
Failed?
lol, i think this thread had something to do with it. THe LS1tech curse!
Old 07-08-2008, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NJNETSFAN
lol, i think this thread had something to do with it. THe LS1tech curse!
lol and i think being rude to an authority figure may have done it as well
Old 07-08-2008, 06:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

im 17 i got my ss 6 months ago i drive like an idiot sometimes but why buy a ls1 if your not going to some, never wrecked or even been pulled over though, just get what you want and drive how you want its your money and life and youll be facing the consequences the biggest danger is the rwd part. if it was me ide get a beater for the first car and save up some cash for what you want
Old 07-08-2008, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got my ls1 at 18, it was MY first car. i had been driving my parents jeep and minivan for 1.5 years though before i got my t/a.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well dude did you pass your test
Old 07-08-2008, 11:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by johnLs1camaro
well dude did you pass your test
...did you not see the last like 20posts about him failing? lol
Old 07-08-2008, 11:24 PM
Staging Lane

My first car was an '87 IROC w/ a 305 tune port. If you want an LS1 i would start off with one something like this first. A fun low high 14-low 15 car. It will help you get used to rear wheel drive and torque. Once you pass that is. But it definately wont prepare you for the top end power of an LS1!
Old 07-08-2008, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol no i thought that was everyone giving their experiences...well dude my bad sry about you failing i guess im gonna reread this bitch and find out what happend
Old 07-08-2008, 11:39 PM
Launching!

He got lippy with the instructor and was ridin dirty. essentially.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol yeah i just found the part,but your wording sounds better though...
Old 07-08-2008, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS184
well dnt b like me and take ur dads turbo sti out for a spin 3 days after getting ur liscense like i did and get pulled over.....o also dont try eludeing an officer like i tried, it just pisses thm off haha
LMAO !!

Nice!
- Mike

Originally Posted by ads_99ta
get a beater, a lot of people wreck their first car. even a stock LS1 car might be a bit much for a new driver. then after a year or two look into a car that you want. an LS1 Camaro is not THAT expensive. maybe it could be a graduation gift to yourself.
I wrecked my first Camaro.. It was a V6, but it still sucked. Some *** face pulled out in front of me and I lost control trying to aviod him during the winter with shitty roads. Wasnt fun.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:58 PM
TECH Resident

i say get an ls1, ive had mine since i turned 17, now im 20.. nothing yet..
Old 07-09-2008, 12:05 AM
Staging Lane

Location: Heidelberg Germany (1.4 miles from famous Hockenheim Ring)

I think you should go for it, i'm 17, with my Z28, and love it, i was a bit nervous when i first took her out on my own like 5 min after i got my licence, but i got used to it, and i love it! there's only a few problems, you cant see how far that **** sticks out! i hit a fence at the parking lot at school and took a nice big chunk of paint off the point, (which i'm not too worried about, as the bumper isnt in the best of shape from being over here) and you might want to think about traction control, i love not having it, but in the rain, i think it would help a little bit, i put the throttle down 1/4 way, it's ok, but then when it changes to 2nd, i start to go sideways. and yeah, good idea about the speed thing, i've had a few close calls, at first i was like "ooh autobahn! time to see how fast she can go!" i end up getting to the past 160 mark, then some dumb *** decides to pull out in front of me, and i have to end up testing my ABS and almost rearending the idiot.

Well there's my .02, i'm going to bed now so i dont ramble anymore, it's 7AM here -.-
Old 07-09-2008, 12:09 AM
12 Second Club

Had it as my first car @ 16 and I'm still alive at 19!