General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

How hard is it to replace the rear bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How hard is it to replace the rear bumper?

I have a knick in my rear bumper and instead of paying to get it fixed it would just be cheaper to replace the bumper with another one. So im still on the hunt to find a salvaged camaro to buy the back bumper and replace it with mine. So how hard is it to take off the existing bumper and replace it with another?
Old 07-17-2008, 03:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont think it should be too difficult. Never done it but doesnt seem like to much work .
Old 07-17-2008, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya i was thinking the same thing but i say on another thread that a few people had a difficult time.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

not hard at all. ive had mine off a couple of times. ive removed the impact absorber for weight so it had to be removed then i had to replace the cover because my lil bro hit my rear.

all u hav to do is pull out the plastic panel in the rear hatch area on both left and right sides. pull the carpet in the very rear and on the left side. remove tailamps, remove the 4 10mm nuts that hold on the tail panel, remove 4 10mm nuts (2 on both left and right side of interior) remove 2 10mm nuts from the insides on the rear fender (1 on each side) then remove the 2 screws at the tops of the corners of the exterior where the bumper cover meets the rear fenders
Old 07-17-2008, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nemss1
not hard at all. ive had mine off a couple of times. ive removed the impact absorber for weight so it had to be removed then i had to replace the cover because my lil bro hit my rear.

all u hav to do is pull out the plastic panel in the rear hatch area on both left and right sides. pull the carpet in the very rear and on the left side. remove tailamps, remove the 4 10mm nuts that hold on the tail panel, remove 4 10mm nuts (2 on both left and right side of interior) remove 2 10mm nuts from the insides on the rear fender (1 on each side) then remove the 2 screws at the tops of the corners of the exterior where the bumper cover meets the rear fenders
And when you replaced the bumper you didnt need any new fasteners or anything? And when you replaced did everything line up and look like it had never been replaced?
Old 07-17-2008, 08:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 443 Likes on 354 Posts

Just curious, but are you expecting to find a donor car the same color as yours to get a bumper from? If not, it will be a minimal additional amount to get a nick fixed in your bumper if you have it painted, which will have to occur even if you get a bumper of the same color, due to variances in production line tolerances.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1Formulation
Just curious, but are you expecting to find a donor car the same color as yours to get a bumper from? If not, it will be a minimal additional amount to get a nick fixed in your bumper if you have it painted, which will have to occur even if you get a bumper of the same color, due to variances in production line tolerances.
So your sayin if i get a donor car bumper it wont fit right?
Old 07-17-2008, 11:26 PM
Launching!

No he is saying if you get a purple bumper for your silver car the cost of having it painted is much more than fixing a knick and most cars have some kind of bumper damage.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:14 AM
12 Second Club

crapyboy750, i did replace the fasteners (plastic push-in clips) just to have new ones and to help me sleep better at night haha. mine lined up perfect. couldn't tell its ever been off or replaced
Old 07-18-2008, 03:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MaroMan
No he is saying if you get a purple bumper for your silver car the cost of having it painted is much more than fixing a knick and most cars have some kind of bumper damage.
No i understand the color difference but thats why i would get the same color bumper.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nemss1
crapyboy750, i did replace the fasteners (plastic push-in clips) just to have new ones and to help me sleep better at night haha. mine lined up perfect. couldn't tell its ever been off or replaced
whered you get the extra fasteners?
Old 07-18-2008, 12:05 PM
12 Second Club

I'm saying that due to production line tolerances, a silver car manufactured one week could be a different shade of silver than one made the next week, so it may not match perfectly. This happened to me when changing hoods on an old Cavalier I had. Two cars, same year, same color, and it was obvious the colors were different once installed.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

BUt if i were to get me bumper repainted it wouldnt match perfectly either so im kinda screwed any which way lol
Old 07-18-2008, 01:15 PM
TECH Regular

If it's anything like a Firebird, it should be easy as pie. I took mine off to do the CETA and laughed at how easy it was because a body shop quoted me $450 to paint the part because of 'labor' to remove the parts.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crapyboy750
BUt if i were to get me bumper repainted it wouldnt match perfectly either so im kinda screwed any which way lol
A good shop can match the existing paint so it's not noticeable. Old style way was to take the basic mixed color and add tint to match by eye, obviously takes skill/experience.

New way they have a machine that checks your existing color with a sample off your car (i.e. gas door) and matches it by computer. Depending on where the nick is, they might not have to repaint the whole thing, just spot it in, although it is easier to paint to body lines.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:36 PM
12 Second Club

Very true. I had a scratch down my door when I bought my car and they just painted in the center where the scratch was and then blended the clear in.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you are better off getting the nick fixed. Usually it is harder to find another bumper with the same exact color. Someone hit me and it was a PITA just finding a bumper in good shape. I found one the same color but still needed it to be color matched. Either way I had to take it to a body shop.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:22 PM
12 Second Club

u can get fasteners at auto parts stores

Quick Reply: How hard is it to replace the rear bumper?