General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

General Motors going out of business?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 04:09 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default General Motors going out of business?

On the news lately, there has been some talk about GM being in a financial pickle. The possibility of them going out of business was mentioned. This brings a few thoughts.

I heard some where along the line (from a dealership parts guy) that auto manufacturers make or stock parts for each model vehicle year until that model is 10 years old. Then you are on your own as to whether you can obtain OEM parts. If there are parts in stock at a dealer or some warehouse,then great, you can buy it. If not, you are out of luck.

I prefer to keep my car all OEM. But I would use aftermarket just to keep it on the road. But, how long would the aftermarket companies make parts for the F-bodies if GM was no longer around?
Old 07-20-2008, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

GM isn't going out of business anytime soon...count on that.

Keep this in mind, if GM does happen to close it's doors at some point you won't
get any OEM parts at that point unless they are sitting at the dealers. The dealers
don't stock many service parts in the grand scheme of things. The OEM's only sit on
a few days worth of production parts too so you're not going to get parts from there.
GMSPO (GM service) has a fairly limited amount of parts also. It's in the contract for
suppliers to the OEM's (and to GM) to produce service parts for a period of 7 years
as I recall. However, suppliers generally don't stock service parts. An order is placed by
GMSPO and the supplier builds the parts. If GM is out of business, the suppliers won't run the parts since they will never get paid for them.

The bottom line is that the pipeline will dry up very quickly should an OEM shut it's doors.

This is a pointless discussion basically since GM isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Even if they were going out of business another company would buy them and try to restore the company. There is no way once the biggest automaker will just shut their doors and disappear.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:18 PM
Launching!

Unless they're the ugly stepchild that nobody wants to love... or an evil old grandma that has lived way passed her prime and nobody wants to take on her burden.....
Old 07-20-2008, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

noway they are going out, if you said ford on the otherhand i would consider that being true..
Old 07-20-2008, 02:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Drugs are bad ......ummmm K
Old 07-20-2008, 03:10 PM
TECH Resident

the public is killing gm,ford chyrlser, they keep buying imports, need to support the us of a .
Old 07-20-2008, 03:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeeehaaww I Agree Rock On Billy Bob!
Old 07-20-2008, 03:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikenews
Drugs are bad ......ummmm K
Is this thread even for real? Read the news, they've been saying GM has enough money to make it through 2009, their stocks rose almost 30% last week, and in 2009 the camaro will save GM (if it even needs to be saved) With all of the attention the car is getting, it will be a hit
Old 07-20-2008, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i say right now is a great time to take a risk and invest in some GM stock..
Old 07-20-2008, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

dont even worry about the new camaro right now, with the new volt coming out thats keeping GM's head above water along with the cut backs and smaller economic vehicles that they are focusing on right now is why they are ok. It would be hard for them to vanish, but anythings possible. but what do you expect to happen? a lot of people get paid too much for what they do for gm, so its now out sourced cheaply to try to make a decent profit and pay the employees. but you cant tell me that a person on an assembly line putting a spare tire in a vehicle or something like that deserves 25-30/hour plus full benefits. (sorry if you are that person) but thats my opinion. we shoot ourselves in the foot and blame everyone else. But back on topic GM wont ever die, because of its enthusiasts.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

GM has been in a fiscal crisis for years due to GM's employee pension plan and horrible management. So technically, GM is killing GM... thanks unions. GM has enough liquid assets to last through next year but late next year we will know GM's standing for the next 3-5 yrs. Read something, its better than listening to straight media garbage.

The Camaro cannot and will not save GM. IF GM dies, parts manufacturers will continue producing OEM replacement parts for all existing models. The aftermarket will continue as it has for decades, how would GM's death affect the many unwarrantied, modded vehicles already on the road? It can't and won't.

All that financial crap aside. America won't let GM close shop like that. Congress would help GM avoid Ch11 bankruptcy to protect its voters.... I mean employees
Old 07-20-2008, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think gm is going to stick around for a long time. and they dont need to focus on the camaro they need to focus on there smaller cars right now and that volt seems like it could be nice.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:56 PM
Launching!

GM is still #1 in sales. They are not going out of business. Sure their sales are down, but they are infact the worlds #1 seller at this point.

The Media is killing the American motor industry. Ask any mechanic which cars are lined up at their shops.... Acuras, Nissans, Hondas.... all day(talking about newer cars 2002+). Very rare do you see American cars at my friends shop(minus Chrysler for obivous reasons). A great example.... a 2006 G35 just had its new car inspection expire... needed $2400 in repairs to pass inspection. TWO YEARS OLD.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:58 PM
10 Second Club

buy stock, i bought 20 shares last week when it was $9.23 a share and now its $13.18 a share. look at it this way buy 10 or more shares each pay and when the new camaro comes out sell and use that money to buy one or atleast put a nice down payment on one or use it for parts money.

GM will not close down, i think if it came to the american car companies closing down or trying to merg into one company, i think they would join instead of letting rice burners rule the auto company world.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Like someone already said, GM has been in bad financial shape for some time. Ford and Daimler Chrysler have too, even worse.

You have the unions to thank for most of the problem with GM and people buying imports for the rest in large volumes.

A spokesman from GM said that an average of $3000 of the price eof their cars goes just to pay pensions and other retirement plans. People are living longer today than when pension funds were started and companies can not afford to keep paying the pensions. Think about it. All of the money they are paying out goes to people who dont even work for them anymore so they are getting no return on that money. They have to clear 3000 bucks on their cars just to break even. Well they are not doing that. Thats why they have been loosing billions, yes I said billions, every year for the last several years. Ford and Daimler Chrysler have lost nearly the same.

Unless something changes with their union then its not gonna get any better because its an unfair playing field with Toyota, Honda, Nissan, etc.

And whoever thinks the Camaro is going to help GM needs to lay down the crack pipe.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Full-Force
You have the unions to thank for most of the problem with GM and people buying imports for the rest in large volumes.

Many moons ago I worked for a union shop. Mom didn't raise a fool, I saw some some crooked goings on with the union reps. I chose to leave and now work for a non-union company. No offense intended for the folks that are happy with their current union shops.

I also buy and own only GM vehicles. My choice.

I didn't think GM would close its doors overnight, but with the "globalization" of US companies, it's a possiblility.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

dude, it's not gonna go outta buisness....
Old 07-21-2008, 06:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

your nutz, the camaro wont do squat in terms of the bottom line...gm is so upside down with debt, debt service...they had to eliminate their dividend to shareholders in order to keep 800 million...enough to keep them running another 18 months...as far as their stock rising, it was over 60%...that being said, it was at a 55 year low to 8.81 and the likely hood that the average mutal fund that holds gm bought more last week is very slim...it was mostly traders and short covering..

gm, f are junk....sorry to say...us auto co's have been loosing market share every year for 30 years..

the only saving grace was large pick up trucks and suv's....have you checked out the price of gas lately???? now the only sector that was profitable for the two remaining auto co's is in a tailspin...it will take way to long to re-tool these co's and manufacture a new product that is competitive on a global level....it took 30 years to screw these two co's up with poor management choices...its going to take antoher 30 to dig them out...that is if they are still around.....and owned by the US and not sold to an international co....check out BUD.....70 billion sold...

Originally Posted by NJNETSFAN
Is this thread even for real? Read the news, they've been saying GM has enough money to make it through 2009, their stocks rose almost 30% last week, and in 2009 the camaro will save GM (if it even needs to be saved) With all of the attention the car is getting, it will be a hit
Old 07-21-2008, 06:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

uh...your wrong...they dropped number one a while ago...

http://money.cnn.com/2007/04/24/news...yota/index.htm

[QUOTE=chemicalstylez;9774325]GM is still #1 in sales. They are not going out of business. Sure their sales are down, but they are infact the worlds #1 seller at this point.