General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

14k for an 00 vette worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who wants flames on their vette? You couldnt pay me $14K to put flames on my car.... but in all seriousness, I agree with what Josh said, your better off waiting.

"Good things come to those that wait"

If you are hesitant about buying it now, I wouldnt. Why drop that much money on a car that you arent droolling over or in love with, that is silly and you will be kicking yourself down the road....been there before.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by usmc320
When I bought mine back from the insurance company, they wouldn't do collision on it anymore, because there is no accurate value on a salvaged car. At least that's what they said at the time. Maybe it would have been different if I had it repaired professionally. Not sure, because the title would still be salvage.
That sucks. Could you not just have someone appraise it? I have done that on my car now for the full coverage. My agent advised me to do so even with the salvage title. I don't know why they couldn't cover it if you had that done.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my 00 FRC M6 back in November for $17,800 70k You can get a clean vette for a couple grand more. Check corvetteforum.com there were some good cars there recently
Old 07-24-2008, 09:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I've had several cars with rebuilt titles, some damage more extreme than others. After the cars were fixed, they drove just the same as cars not involved in accidents. I had an dumdumdumdum that the floorboard was buckled 4 inches up and the front frame had to be pulled and a new core support welded in. After all was said and done, same ride height, drove very well, could take my hand off wheel and go straight. It really depends on how well the damage was taken care of.

The only downside is the value decreases which is what you're seeing right now. Just pay attention to the ride closely and listen for everything.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:17 PM
12 Second Club

DONT BUY IT!!!!

You can find clean C5 Vettes for $16k
Old 07-24-2008, 10:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 97Z28LT1
That sucks. Could you not just have someone appraise it? I have done that on my car now for the full coverage. My agent advised me to do so even with the salvage title. I don't know why they couldn't cover it if you had that done.
It still worked out for me. I was able to strip out all the parts I wanted off it and sold it for 2.5 x what I bought it back from them for.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:32 AM
Launching!

It still worked out for me. I was able to strip out all the parts I wanted off it and sold it for 2.5 x what I bought it back from them for.
That works then. At least you didn't wind up in the hole or anything.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't buy it, just because it's so damned ugly!
Old 07-26-2008, 11:00 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 97Z28LT1
I would say its worth what he is asking. Not my cup of tea, but if you like it and you don't mind the salvage title then go for it. You'd be very lucky to find a 63K Vette with a clear title for an asking price of $13,900, and if you do, it will go very quick.

This is one of those things that you want someone in the know to come with you and do a very thorough inspection of the car. If something on this car doesn't check out, however I would be reluctant to buy it. Keep in mind that salvaged Corvettes are especially hard to sell because most of the people in the market for a Corvette are very particular (Hence the pricing).

There's nothing wrong with a salavaged car IF done right. Some people would never buy one reguardless, but I don't see it that way, especially if you think you'll keep the car for quite some time. I got my Z28 at a salvage auction, fixed it, hit a deer doing 70mph, then fixed it again, and its still as dependable as most cars. I just made a 12 hour trip in it last weekend and no problems at all. To me, its no different than any other Z28, just worth a little less, which is ok because it was cheap in the 1st place.

My .02
I agree.. My brother just sold his 00 Vette. 26K on it M6 and he got 20K for it.He bought it 3 yrs ago for 26K..That is a good deal ! Make sure there wasn't any frame damage. Also,its very possible when you transfer that title,it will come back clean! My 99 T/A had a salvage title and when we transfered it,it came back clean. I bet it will come back clean.. Make sure the mileage is correct! You will know if he beat on it when you drive it. Check the pedals and see how worn they are and where they are worn. Put it on a hoist and look under the car for leaks and such..14K is a good deal if it checks out..
Old 07-26-2008, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

It should be the correct mileage. It drove beautifully,(smooth w/no rattles) and interior was almost perfect. I keep looking for m6 vettes but cheapest ones are always autos with high miles. I think I'm going to get it, change the hood and wheels, and worry about paint later.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Also, be aware, if you do buy it, most insurance companies won't do collision coverage for a rebuilt/salvage titled vehicle. They'll cover cars you hit, but not yours.
I have never heard of that.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:13 AM
TECH Addict

If you insure a vehicle with a salvage restore title you will paid ACV(actual cash value) at the time of loss. It sucks to insure in short.

If it looks good to you, get it. If not, like it sounds - don't. You said you wan't to replace the hood and wheels. That right there will cost over a grand. Take that along with the 14 and buy a very nice over all Vette.

I almost bought a 2000 Vette with 45k for 17k. It was just more than I wanted to spend on a car at the time.

Don't settle, it will bite you in the *** later.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Badhawk
I keep looking for m6 vettes but cheapest ones are always autos with high miles. I think I'm going to get it, change the hood and wheels, and worry about paint later.
If you are wanting to re-do the car like that, there's no way I'd get it. I'd only get it if this is something you really like. Save up a little more and get one that fits your taste. It not saving any money if you're going to re-do everything because you don't like it. I was under the impression that you really liked the car, but the deal isn't worth it if you aren't.

There's cheap Corvettes out there, you just have to be lucky enough to be at the right place and right time. My roommate just picked one up Friday that's an 00 M6 for 14K. The car didn't make reserve on Ebay, so he shot the guy an offer. Clean title, but high miles. Just be patient and save some money and you'll eventually find one more fitting for your taste.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ewwwwwww.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

Well to be honest I liked the flames, just not the hood.
But it doesn't doesn't matter cuz i bought an 04 z06 CE instead. I figured this one will be a collector.
Which a Blue Z06 is what I really wanted for a year or two now.

Thanks everyone for all the advice and good lookin out!