General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Is premium fuel required?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 09:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is premium fuel required?????

Premium Required? Not Necessarily
Article Tools Sponsored By
By DEXTER FORD
Published: August 3, 2008

AT today’s prices, it’s understandable that drivers accustomed to filling their gas tanks with premium would be looking for ways to ease the financial pain.
Skip to next paragraph
Karen Bleier/Agence France-Presse -- Getty Images

For premium-grade gas, prices to match.

Some relief may be as close as their next fill-up. Switching from premium-grade to regular unleaded can save several dollars on each tankful, given an average price difference of about 30 cents a gallon, according to end-of-July figures compiled by AAA.

While using gasoline that carried a lower octane rating than the engine required was once a sure path to disaster, that is no longer the case. Nearly all automobiles sold in the United States since the 1990s will happily run on regular-grade 87-octane gasoline without causing engine damage, a benefit of the electronic controls that now manage all engine functions.

The octane number posted on the pump is a measure of a gasoline blend’s resistance to a condition called knocking. The knocking sound — a rattling noise made by an engine under load, familiar to drivers of older cars — is a result of out-of-control combustion, the mixture of air and fuel burning erratically. The explosion rings the metal of the engine block like a bell.

The higher the octane rating, the more temperature and pressure the gasoline can withstand before it ignites on its own, rather than when it is set off by the spark plug. An engine that calls for premium gas typically has a higher compression ratio — it squeezes the air and fuel mixture to higher pressures — which can improve both fuel economy and power output. But such an engine requires the higher octane rating to run properly.

Before the switch to fuel injection and computerized controls, engines were subject to damage from prolonged knocking. But today’s engine management systems incorporate electronic knock sensors, which detect the condition and adjust the ignition to stop the problem. As a result, it is almost impossible to hurt a current engine by using 87-octane fuel, industry experts say.

“Modern engines prevent the damage from happening before it starts,” said Patrick Kelly, a fuels analyst with the American Petroleum Institute. “It wouldn’t impact fuel economy. And it wouldn’t impact the emissions. What it would impact is the performance.”

Of course, owners who do not heed the automakers’ recommendations may face consequences — the potential voiding of warranties, for instance. But for the most part, manufacturers’ fuel recommendations include some wiggle room.

Porsche, for example, acknowledges that any of its modern production cars can be run on regular fuel without the risk of damage.

A spokesman for Porsche North America, Tony Fouladpour, added a caveat. “If you want the car to perform at its maximum capability, the best choice would not be 87,” he said. “But we do not forbid it.”

Specifying premium fuel lets a car manufacturer squeeze out more horsepower. BMW, for example, recommends that all the cars it sells in the United States use premium fuel, but they will run on regular.

“There generally isn’t any harm done to the engine by using lower-octane fuel,” said a BMW spokesman, Thomas Plucinsky. “Because our engines do have very good forms of knock sensing and are able to deal with lower-octane fuels, you will not have any drivability issues. You will, however, lose some of the performance.”

How much of a loss? Some indication can be found in the peak horsepower numbers Hyundai recently released for its new Genesis sedan. On premium, the 4.6-liter V-8 engine is rated at 375 horsepower. On 87-octane regular, it is 368.

That seven-horsepower difference — less than 2 percent — seems a small penalty for saving 30 cents a gallon, especially when you can regain that performance simply by filling up with premium.

Does using lower-octane fuel reduce mileage or increase emissions, as some drivers believe? Not according to the Environmental Protection Agency. “E.P.A. fuels engineers say that there isn’t a meaningful difference between regular and premium gasoline,” said Dale Kemery, a spokesman for the agency.

Still, the warning from some automakers can give an owner pause at the pump. The manual for the Smart Fortwo repeats the warning issued for other vehicles sold by Mercedes-Benz: “To maintain the engine’s durability and performance, premium unleaded gasoline must be used.”

But even those stern words may have some room for interpretation. Dave Schembri, president of Smart USA, told John Schwartz, a reporter who was writing for this section’s blog about his experiences in buying a Smart, that he should not worry.

“You could use regular gas — there’s no damage to the car,” Mr. Schembri said.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Or just use premium if your car calls for it and pay the extra couple bucks. Like less than $5 difference at a fillup is really going to make that much of a difference when the whole fillup costs over $50
Old 08-04-2008, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

The savings are very small. If $4 a week or so is a concern, you shouldn't be driving a high performance vehicle.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah but that 7 hp is whats going to help you when your head to head with the guy your racing.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crapyboy750
yeah but that 7 hp is whats going to help you when your head to head with the guy your racing.
cuz we all know you need all 7hp matt. haha jp
Old 08-05-2008, 01:02 AM
TECH Addict

just drive a civic or something if you're going to whine about mileage, honestly im tired of hearing about it.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ironxcross
just drive a civic or something if you're going to whine about mileage, honestly im tired of hearing about it.
Amen!!!!!
Old 08-05-2008, 03:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would prefer NOT to rely on a knock sensor to protect my engine.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:46 AM
12 Second Club

It's 93 for me. And a 93/100 mix for those "special occasions."

The price differences between octanes isn't worth it to skimp.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by crapyboy750
my car feels like **** on midgrade "89" especially on wot kickdowns but on 93 "whoa look out now " lol. so i think it might be more than 7 hp honestly. i ocasionaly run a booster so its a lil closer to 100 octane i think.....

Originally Posted by ghardester
The savings are very small. If $4 a week or so is a concern, you shouldn't be driving a high performance vehicle.
i remember when i put reg in my iroc omg it backfired andran lik ****. then i decided the like 1.60$ i saved was not worth it
Old 08-05-2008, 05:43 AM
TECH Addict

I always use 93 or better.....it's the cost of having an f-body. My car will never see 87 or 89.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

i always run 93 in the Z no matter what!! but then i use 87 on the wifeys 08 nissan maxima..

even if your talking bout a .20 cent difference from 87 to 93 its still gonna go over $50.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:06 AM
TECH Resident

my tune requires that I run premium anyway, but my wives turbo jetta says on the gauge cluster that it requires premium...well we didnt believe it and put in a tank of regular, and until we put premium back in ii, the car ran like straight ****. the engine ticked, loss of performance and throttle response. Ls1's run so much better with good fuel, if you cant afford it, sell your car
Old 08-05-2008, 09:15 AM
TECH Addict

if you want these cars to run right, you put premium in them. end of story.

now if you want to be cheap and think you're getting a deal.. put regular in. worse mileage, worse performance, and all you have is a knock sensor protecting your engine. if you want to start cheaping out like that, you shouldn't have gotten a v8.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:24 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Or just use premium if your car calls for it and pay the extra couple bucks. Like less than $5 difference at a fillup is really going to make that much of a difference when the whole fillup costs over $50

x2 it doesn't save you much at all.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
$5 per fill up. One fill up per week (for me). $260/year savings. Extra $260 to spend on cheap booze and donuts.

I run 89 since I fill up at a station that charges the same price for regular and midgrade. No difference in 0-60 times for me.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Premium is my only option, I don't notice the other grades anymore.....
Old 08-05-2008, 01:12 PM
11 Second Club

i think its stupid to risk an engine for to save $5
Old 08-05-2008, 01:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

i used to run 89, worked fine. then this lady who didn't speak english put regular in after i told her FOUR times i wanted mid-grade. felt like i lost 20hp. had noooo throttle response. my car felt like a slug. i was actually afraid to floor it because i thought it was going to blow up. i will never run regular again.

a week ago i found a gas station that sells super cheaper than most places sell regular. pretty sweet. now i just get that. (they don't sell mid grade, but i would still go with the super just because)
Old 08-05-2008, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

I almost got premium for the lawnmowers the other day because I'm so use to hitting that button.

Quick Reply: Is premium fuel required?????