General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

my 1st LS1 & car payments

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 01:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im pretty sure u can find an LS1 out there for under 13k!
Old 08-15-2008, 02:39 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$800.00 a month is going to be some tough living for you, thank goodness you dont have to pay insurance (another $250 a month)
Old 08-15-2008, 02:39 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WSsick
(ill make about $700-850 a month AFTER taxes)
what do you think would be a doable price and/or monthly payment for me?
For one thing, 700-850 a month? You should be worrying about other things IMO than buying a 13k car that's, as new as possible, 6 years old.

If you want one that bad, look for a cheaper 98 or 99. Finish school, then worry about cool cars. Just as a reference if you must get one, my 98 black z28 has a crate LS6 with 7k miles on it... built M6, etc., possibly with a non-installed cam and 9" rear...I'll probably start out around 6-7k here before long when I sell it. Deals are out there.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

how can you manage school and 2 jobs? thats crazy lol... I have a job and school and damn... i gotta say it's not all gravy
Old 08-15-2008, 06:40 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,727 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by CJDZ24_Z28
Why spend so much? The oldest LS1 F-body is a 98. Making it almost a 11 year old car. The newest is a 02 which is still a almost 7 year old car. I wouldn't spend over 9k on a F-Body and i have owned 12 4th gens including 2 i brought brand new. There are some perfect ones around for cheap
"Perfect" = 95+ point quality. I have never seen a single "perfect" LS1 F-body for anything less than $13k in my area.

In my area, here's what I see:

Less than $7k gets you junk.

$7-9k gets you something decent.

$10-13k gets you something nice, or even a show quality early year/low trim level model.

$14-20k gets you a show quality car.

$20k+ gets you an ultra rare show car at top trim level.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:56 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
"Perfect" = 95+ point quality. I have never seen a single "perfect" LS1 F-body for anything less than $13k in my area.

In my area, here's what I see:

Less than $7k gets you junk.

$7-9k gets you something decent.

$10-13k gets you something nice, or even a show quality early year/low trim level model.

$14-20k gets you a show quality car.

$20k+ gets you an ultra rare show car at top trim level.
Look at the for sale section here lately.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:59 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by 99camarosupersport
Look at the for sale section here lately.
Come to Chicago and look at the local dealer & private markets.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

Come to Chicago and look at the local dealer & private markets.
If you all are paying that they are putting crack in the water up there. lol
Old 08-15-2008, 01:18 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by 99camarosupersport
If you all are paying that they are putting crack in the water up there. lol
Those are pretty typical prices in all the major urban areas. When you get to the smaller/more rural areas you can adjust my figures down by about $2k for each category.

Sure, you'll see some better deals here and there, but for the most part you can't get really nice/mint, late model LS1 cars for under $10k in any of the big northern cities. It's differnet down south since cars stay nicer longer. Salt kills everything here, so a mint 6-10 year old car is hard to come by and you'll pay a preimum.

Hell, even KBB Private Party value for an '02 Z28 with 75k miles is as high as $10.5k. And that's just a Z28 with average miles.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by black_phoenix
how can you manage school and 2 jobs? thats crazy lol... I have a job and school and damn... i gotta say it's not all gravy
haha well, my job that gets me most of my income is 3-4 days a week, not very strenuous. the 2nd is $10/hr just on weeknd mornings, stacking beer and getting paid to drive too, oh and they give me free beer and im 19 but shhhhh
Old 08-17-2008, 11:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

I bought a brand new 2000 ta a week after I graduated high school at 18, I had a "decent" job right out of school, but paying 28k for a car, the payments were still skyhigh, along with insurance. I didnt get to go out much or do anything other than mess with my car due to how much it was, I was paying 525 a month for loan and 250 for insurance. fortunately/unfortunately that car was totalled (not my fault) and I bought a 99 formula for 18k (this was in 2001) I still struggled making the payments on that car for about 3 years, in that time I lost the decent job I had, and had trouble finding one making close to what I made before. It sucks because I missed out on a lot of things because I couldnt afford it due to having a nice car.
Moral of the story, dont stretch yourself just to have a nice/fast car. If you can make the payment, gas, and insurance(if it applys) in less than one paycheck, then your ok. anything more than that and things could get real tight.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Back when I was shopping around for an F-body, I found a '97 LT1 TA for $4200. It had under 50k on it and appearance-wise was in great shape. May have needed 1k-2k in mechanical repairs, but that's no problem considering it ran fine at the time. Only hitch was my parents would have disowned me if I got a V8 model. Thus introduces the story of the 3.8L waste of time (see below).

P.S. I got mine in late 05 for $4000 plus a beat up '88 Benz. I then spent thousands on repairs during the first year of ownership, and I have an engine/trans rebuild in the future (85k hard miles when purchased, 113k currently). Sigh. At least it's paid off so I can afford repairs, mods, a future LSX swap, and gas now. Moral of this story? If you buy cheap (under 7k-8k) and pay it off with one payment, I hope you have a chunk of change saved up for repairs.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:50 AM
Staging Lane

Well depending on your credit situation, for example my parents have that CAC - Crap *** credit, so no co-signer for me and limited credit history myself so I got raped on my loan rate, so my $10k TA is 300 a month. But I've got a pretty good gov't job and I had to have the car.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:20 AM
TECH Addict

Well from what I take it this kid is young just out of High School.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't do what I did. I have 2 cars now, the z28 is paid off. Small loan on the 2000 GT I have, and I have a loan for my 600RR. Deciding you want to/NEED to go to school a year or so after high school and basically HAVING to work while doing it.........well let me tell you now it BLOWS. HARD. =\

School>Job>Cool Toys
Old 08-19-2008, 07:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

god i feel old saying this, I'm 23 and was in ur same postion; I HAD a mint '90 Trans Am GTA () that my dad gave me. This bitch was all hooked up and i got rear ended by some ******* tool bag . Anyway, i went out and bought my '01 M6 SS, i LOVE her, but i should have waited. I dropped $5.5K on my DP and eneded up getting a 2nd job for a yr to recoup that money; which i used part of that for my sound system... . Now I'm struggling NOT TO mod my car anymore until i get myself finically secured. no good haveing a nice ride if i'm 40 y/o and still living at home. i would have so much more $$$ if i would have waited on buyng my car, NOT that i regret buying her, i just should have waited. I guesstimate i have put +/- $5K in just mods so far NOT counting b/s repairs (not to many tho; knock on wood she has been a solid car so far). Plus the $265 a month car payment, $200 a month insurance and +/- $4.00 a gallon for the good stuff, thank you OPEC, AND the $200 a month payment for my Blazer i bought so that i didn't have to DD my SS anymore, plus the $$$ to insure and gas that bitch.

It is an addicting hobby and one that takes $$$ to do it. You're 19, you're better off waiting a lilttle while before you get into this hobby...trust me. it is VERY addicting and expensive. **** that; drugs are cheaper then this hobby. lol.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:57 PM
Teching In

you can find a cheap f-body just about anywhere, i saved for 3yrs. I searched and searched for mine. $7300.00, it had 83,000 mi. With the way gas is people are willing to sell.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WSsick
thanks for all the great advice guys, thats why im a member here. now, yeah, i understand what everyone is saying, dont spend all your money and have money for repairs well, i actually just had that problem solved. my work offered me an extra few hours a week which wont be hard when adding 1 per day and at $10/ hr, thats hard to pass up. i have a car right now, but its time to get rid of it, matinence on that is getting costly (tranny rebuilds suckkkk) for gas, well, im living at home and i mow, do most of the fmailies laundry, mop every day, vacuum once if not twice a day, etc....i pull my share around here so my mom helps me with gas every other fill up. i've budgeted this out pretty well and i think my new MAXIMUM is $11,000. i can get a real long loan too, 5 or 6 years (helps to know people). but, i plan on keeping this car for a longggggggg time. not looking to resell anytime, maybe not ever, so a long loan dont scare me. and once i turn 21, in a 1 & 1/2, i have a friend of the family getting me a nice job making $35,000 a year minimum, so payments will be a breeze after that. but thanks again. this website is by far the most helpful.

I'm in the same boat as you, only I didn't buy an LS1. I did a co-signing deal with my brother through the bank, so no downpayments required. For a $14k truck, and low interest rate, monthly payments are about $450 for 3 years. Thing is, I have a seasonal job and it it'll only last another month and a half. So what I have to do is get as much ahead as possible, which I am 4 months ahead now and I'm selling my 94 v6 camaro for $$1800, that'll knock off another 4 months, then I'll be set till my summer job starts again in April. Till then, back to working for $7/hour. The good thing about paying it off sooner is it will be much cheaper because the interest rate would add up a good bit.

Oh yeah, what I got is an 04 Dodge Dakota, crew cab, 4x4, 4.7 v8. Its a great truck! I bought it for the practicallity reasons. I wanted a nice vehicle, I drive around with several friends all the time so I needed the room, use it for work (pool cleaning during the summer, cant use an f-body for that!). A Trans Am WS6 will be my next ride, but that'll wait. So far I really like it, I like the size of it, not too small and not too big, plus it looks soo much better than the newer Dakota's. Its slow as hell compared to an LS1 being that it wieghs two and a half tons, the engine only has 230hp, but its quick enough to get out in traffic, and it can haul 6500lbs.

Few pics of the ride.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:39 PM
Launching!

i payed 15,800 for mine and had a large down payment and pay $240 a month with my parents paying insurence lucky, it was decently moded and is in great shape (ive won a car show with it) but im now 17 and hate having the payments on it. i still have some money to spend, but not much to mod it like i want. you might want to go to school first and buy it when you have money to blow, its a tough choice though
Old 08-23-2008, 09:47 AM
TECH Addict

Those are pretty typical prices in all the major urban areas. When you get to the smaller/more rural areas you can adjust my figures down by about $2k for each category.

Sure, you'll see some better deals here and there, but for the most part you can't get really nice/mint, late model LS1 cars for under $10k in any of the big northern cities. It's differnet down south since cars stay nicer longer. Salt kills everything here, so a mint 6-10 year old car is hard to come by and you'll pay a preimum.

Hell, even KBB Private Party value for an '02 Z28 with 75k miles is as high as $10.5k. And that's just a Z28 with average miles.
Yea that's just plain retarded. Why the hell would someone spend 14k on a 4th gen F-Body this late in the game? I live in one of the most expensive states (NJ) High cost of living and the highest insurance in the nation and for that much you could buy a 99-00 Vette.

If Chicago area is that high I would buy a car from somewhere else and have it shipped to me or fly and drive it back.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:59 AM
12 Second Club

mine was $9800 with 1500 down I pay 300 a month for 3 yrs, but I make aroud $1600-$1800 a month and pay all my bills: car not, insurance, phone, gas, etc.