General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

my 1st LS1 & car payments

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 06:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default my 1st LS1 & car payments

i will shortly here be getting a 2nd job, so i am definately in the serious hunt for a deal on an LS1. its just something for a little extra cash, the other job is where the money comes from. i check the for sale here and autotrader everyday. parents will pay insurance so i dont have to worry about that. im 19 btw and start school in a week. i just cant figure out what price i should make my cut off. so far, im keeping it under $13,000, so my payment wont be ridiculous, cuz i will NEEEEEED money for mods. i only live 3 miles from school so its no biggie to have as a DD. ive found a few good deals, but i dont really know where i should stop at. (ill make about $700-850 a month AFTER taxes) hopefully, thats enough info.

what do you think would be a doable price and/or monthly payment for me?
Old 08-13-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in your boat when I was your age. All I wanted was to have a fast, modded LS1 car. A little advice would be not to get into a payment. Unless you have a serous down payment any car around 13k will run you over 300 a month. Which leaves you with little money to mod and broke after you buy your stuff. I'd look for something with some work done already but be weary because you don't want anyone else's problems. I just sold my WS6 for around 13 that I've had forever and bought a cheap high mileage 00 Z for dirt cheap. Runs awesome, looks decent and with a few mods should be pretty tight. Just saying, don't get in over your head. I'd wait it out and try to save for a cheap entry level Fbody. Trust me, you'll thank me later or say Damn... he was right.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd say keep it under 10k, 11k MAX. These cars are dropping in value now, and if it's going to be a DD, there's no sense in going out and buying one that's mint or rare.

If you're not picky about which LS1 you get, a Z28 can easily be found for under 10k. SS's, WS6's, and T/A's will be more. If you can find one,a Formula is also a great find, but will still cost a bit more than the Z, but looks better, IMO.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

just cause you make that much a month doesn't mean you have to spend it. Do you already have a car? How much you want your payments to be a month? Do you have a down payment? You looking for private party or a dealer car? What state are you in? by LS1 you mean f-body or any LS1 vechicle?
Old 08-13-2008, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

i got mine for 7800 2 years ago with 97*** on the clock payin 200 a month, now its got 107***, runs as strong as day one(well better with the mods), two years to go on the loan. my advice would be to spend like 8000 or so on a Z with higher mileage, and you will have all that money you didnt spend on a low mileage or rare car to throw at it or mod it. if my engine goes ill just get an iron 6 liter for like 1000 and dump it in, you see where im going with this...
Old 08-13-2008, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

If i had it too do over again, I would get a high-mileage car with a good exterior for as cheap as i could find and stick a forged shortblock in it. Car looks new, runs better than new, and hauls some serious ***. This especially goes if you have something else to drive while its under the knife.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:17 AM
Launching!

lol if i could go back i would have bought one that had a blown engine and or trans... because i pulled it out, swaped to a 6 speed.. then through on a turbo.. i need to fight the urge to mod so much
Old 08-14-2008, 12:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

well since im in the same exact situation as you here is my advice. BTW im 18 make around 800/ month and am going to be a freshman in college. First of all i wouldn't go any higher than a payment over 250/month. With gas at $4plus for premium right now and this car being your DD you'll have to factor that in also. I only drive about 200 miles/week which costs about $50 which equals 200/month for gas. Already your at 450 in car expenses which is more than half of what you make.

So roughly you will have $250-400 left over for misc. expenses and that isn't a whole lot esp. when you want to mod it. You will need that extra cash if something breaks on your car or in a crisis of some sort.

After all said in order to keep your payment under 250 your going to be looking at a 10k car after tax, and all the other BS. Unless you get lucky like me and get a bank to give you a loan for 5 years, then maybe a 13k car will be under 250. Mine is 200/month and the loan was for 10k/ 5 years.

Finally i would look for an 01-02 ss/ws6 with under 100k. these motors are real strong so the mileage only is for bragging nothing more. I ran across a deal on a 99T/A car in sig for 10k with only 40k on it, which is rare for my area, so i had to jump on it. Hope i helped and good luck on the hunt for an ls1.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:36 AM
Staging Lane

yeah im in the same boat as you lol except i make a lil over 600 and my payments are 240 a month for a year with a 4,500 loan and barely any interest =P but yeah if you dont have to pay insurance your good there for sure
Old 08-14-2008, 12:19 PM
Staging Lane

ya im at $229 a month for 5 year. Car was 40k mile 2001 z28 in really nice condition.

But like someone said you need to budget for repairs, i personaly have been completely raped by random problems.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

im 19 i bought mine at 18 i did it all MYSELF i pay my own insurance and car payment insurance is $250/month car payment is $350 for 63 months (5yrs 3 months) i bought the car for 14k its an 02. i make $1200 a month normal if i can get ot than i normally pull $1600 and ill tell you it's hard. im always broke between car bills cc's cell phone paintball and or tattoos lol. buy a $500 beater and listen to the advice others gave you save your money by a super high mile somewhat clean f-bod and drop a fresh short block in it. car payments when your young ****** suck dick buddy.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

rule #1 is don't ever put yourself in a position to have to choose between making a car payment and fixing what's wrong with it.

if you mod it, you will beat on it....which means **** will break sooner rather than later. If you're making $800 a month, a $10K car will put you at least $225-250, plus gas, food, going out, whatever else you spend your money on..... I hate to be like this, but honestly when you are young is best time to start saving, especially in things like a Roth IRA. I started mine at 23 and still wish I would have started it earlier.

Its easier to purchase another car that is exactly what you want later, rather than try to un-screw yourself out of a bad deal. Don't get in over your head, or you'll pay dearly to fix it. When I was 16 I wanted nothing more than to have my dream car, but you soon realize that you have your whole life to make money and buy cool ****. The first LS1 car you buy isn't going to be your last car, and it won't last you forever. Just use caution and be reasonable.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:19 PM
12 Second Club

thanks for all the great advice guys, thats why im a member here. now, yeah, i understand what everyone is saying, dont spend all your money and have money for repairs well, i actually just had that problem solved. my work offered me an extra few hours a week which wont be hard when adding 1 per day and at $10/ hr, thats hard to pass up. i have a car right now, but its time to get rid of it, matinence on that is getting costly (tranny rebuilds suckkkk) for gas, well, im living at home and i mow, do most of the fmailies laundry, mop every day, vacuum once if not twice a day, etc....i pull my share around here so my mom helps me with gas every other fill up. i've budgeted this out pretty well and i think my new MAXIMUM is $11,000. i can get a real long loan too, 5 or 6 years (helps to know people). but, i plan on keeping this car for a longggggggg time. not looking to resell anytime, maybe not ever, so a long loan dont scare me. and once i turn 21, in a 1 & 1/2, i have a friend of the family getting me a nice job making $35,000 a year minimum, so payments will be a breeze after that. but thanks again. this website is by far the most helpful.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:20 PM
12 Second Club

oh and kirk james, you should PM me pics of your car, i like that design!
Old 08-14-2008, 05:24 PM
On The Tree

http://www.navyfcu.org/calcs/AutoLoan.html

Here is a good monthly car payment estimator. Just 0 out every value except for the amount financed, # of months, & a likely interest rate. This will give you a good idea how much money you will lose each month by financing. FWIW, I am one for financing. If you shop right & dont rush in, you get a car with low miles & good overall condition. If you spend 7k on a high milieage LS1, then you are more likely to run into repairs.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Also, remember that you most likely won't be working those same 2 jobs for the next 6 years. In 6 years you'll be 25. I would say budget yourself for how much you'll be making when you're at college.

Haha, or if you drop 2k a month, you could pay off the car in less than a year.

It's definitely possible though. Good luck on your hunt
Old 08-14-2008, 09:30 PM
12 Second Club

i live 3 miles from school so i can work all year round. im going to a community college, went last year and going again this year then going to another local school so i can live at home atnd save money. im definately not rushing into this either, i want an LS1 bad but i also want something i will be happy with for a long time, so i will happily wait a month, 2 months, 3 months, whatever, until the perfect deal comes along. if i could spend $18k, i would have the perfect car already...damn.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why spend so much? The oldest LS1 F-body is a 98. Making it almost a 11 year old car. The newest is a 02 which is still a almost 7 year old car. I wouldn't spend over 9k on a F-Body and i have owned 12 4th gens including 2 i brought brand new. There are some perfect ones around for cheap
Old 08-14-2008, 10:11 PM
12 Second Club

i was only say IF i could, cuz my friends dads has a very nice 95 ls6 swap up for sale.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CJDZ24_Z28
Why spend so much? The oldest LS1 F-body is a 98. Making it almost a 11 year old car. The newest is a 02 which is still a almost 7 year old car. I wouldn't spend over 9k on a F-Body and i have owned 12 4th gens including 2 i brought brand new. There are some perfect ones around for cheap
+1 i looked for a couple months and got a great deal, patience will go a long way!