General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Safe M6 shift point help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 11:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol I mean I'll be able to run your car faster than you.

The tires are the same for each of us.. I just bought the driver mod on ebay. You should buy a couple also!
Old 09-17-2008, 01:13 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS6R6
You M6 guys out there. I was just searching and found a couple of things but not exactly what I was looking for. What rpm do you guys shift at when racing. I have a crate LS6 motor with full bolt-ons pretty much, and I have recently been shifting right around 6,500. How long will it last doing this and what would you recommend doing? The guy's at speed inc set the rev limiter at 6,800 and when I heard that I thought that was a crazy high number for a stock engine and that is what changed me from shifting at 6,000 to shifting at 6,500 recently. I will hopefully be taking the car to the track this friday to get some times with the motor and have been running through the gears one time each night for the past 2 days and will probably do it a couple more times before friday. I am a very consistant shifter so I can hit any point that I want to and I also have a shift light which helps for the track. Of course I will experement when I am down there and see what changes with different shift points but I just don't want to be hurting anything with shifting that high on a stock LS1(6). I would much rather give the track a couple of my tenths to shift like 300-400 rpm less and be in a much smarter position financially. Thanks for all the help!!!
well my buddies has an 00 ss stock motor pretty much except bolt on's and good tune,and he takes to 6500every shift. done research thow and people say that its fine until you start trying to cram 150+ shots on them or making serious power off heads and cam set up, then BOOM! there goes a rod. but should be fine all motor.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

6500 is fine for an LS6. **** some guys will rev an LS6 to 7000rpm with an upgraded valvetrain
Old 09-17-2008, 06:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

time wasted spinning is time lost on ET. You can change your shift points all you want but if you don't get the launch down or you waste that 60 ft spinning most of the way, you will lose on track.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:56 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, It's definately not running ful potential on street tires because I have to slip it from around 2.5k or so not to spin, which definately doesn't help the 60's but im still hoping to see mid to high 12's and then prepare to head back with some radials soon hopefully!! And flash, we will see at the track, yeah u've got many more years of experience on me as I have put probably 300 miles on a manual car in my life, only few of which being high rpm's, but I think with the practice last time and knowing better shift point and preparing to launch better than last time I should be able to hopefully get close to the 12.7 you ran!! Also you were doing burnouts and I still have not done 1 manaul burnout in my life so I was not warming them up at all!! I will definately get it down before friday though!! Only the track will tell!!!!!

Quick Reply: Safe M6 shift point help!!!!