General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Magnaflow dyno test?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 10:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A cat back is just for sound and looks. In which case the MF is way worth what it costs, since the OEM looks/sounds like total ****.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:37 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by black_phoenix
magnflow is great, but not with lts and ory though, sounds awful

when was stock, i did not feel any gain from catback... so thats probably 18 bhp...
I have lts,ory,magnaflowand basic stuff 101k miles 354.39 to the rear tires? I think it sounds good.not too bad if i may say.considering the circumst. Car also trapped 111.22 last week. Magnaflow is the best I have had. dyno numbers were only 2hp diff. with cutout open.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i dont have any dyno numbers. but my 02 Z28 A4 only had a slp lid with 2.73. and i put the magnaflow on and i will tell ya from seat of the pants effect it really woke up my car big time. the cars throttle response was alot better and the car felt so much torquey!! im happy with the magnaflow for sure.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hated the magnaflow at first (put it on my cam only car with LTs and cats, came from LTs and TDs dumped no cats...). It was so damn quiet I couldn't tell if the car was on. Maybe it's from the cats breaking in, but now the sound is growing on me. I wanted to dump it and pick up a Corsa, but I don't have that kinda coin yet. I'm gonna throw a cutout on for when I feel like being loud. At cruising it sounds real mellow. A member told me his car sounded almost like a cobra with mods similar to mine. I was skeptical at first, but after driving mine around a lot and having a few cobras in town with exhausts, he wasn't too far off. I just hate these damn Tactical Weapon looking tips

-J

EDIT: just realized I didn't put one bit about dyno testing or numbers in that response. Oops.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for all the replies. I was just curious if anyone had any dyno sheets. That Magnaflow one looks a little fishy to me though. HP peak at 3900rpm.... isn't that very low?

Anyway, I mainly want to do exhaust for the sound, any extra power is a bonus. The stock exhaust just sounds so weak. Especially since a guy with a '98 or '99 GT just moved in across the street from me. Don't get me wrong, I know that unless he's got some good mods I'd blow his doors off no problem, but dammit, that car just sounds so damn good!

It's basically a choice between the MF and the Loudmouth II. I've heard the Hooker on LS1sounds, and it sounds great, but I want stainless.

The MF is probably the way to go for me, but I'm tempted by the LM2, sometimes I just want this thing to be obnoxiously loud. But I figure I'd get sick of it real quick, the car is a DD and it's 60 miles to work and back.

One more question: If I was to go MF, is it worth buying the whole catback, or should I just pick up the muffler for a hundred bucks?
Old 09-09-2008, 11:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike
Thanks for all the replies. I was just curious if anyone had any dyno sheets. That Magnaflow one looks a little fishy to me though. HP peak at 3900rpm.... isn't that very low?

Anyway, I mainly want to do exhaust for the sound, any extra power is a bonus. The stock exhaust just sounds so weak. Especially since a guy with a '98 or '99 GT just moved in across the street from me. Don't get me wrong, I know that unless he's got some good mods I'd blow his doors off no problem, but dammit, that car just sounds so damn good!

It's basically a choice between the MF and the Loudmouth II. I've heard the Hooker on LS1sounds, and it sounds great, but I want stainless.

The MF is probably the way to go for me, but I'm tempted by the LM2, sometimes I just want this thing to be obnoxiously loud. But I figure I'd get sick of it real quick, the car is a DD and it's 60 miles to work and back.

One more question: If I was to go MF, is it worth buying the whole catback, or should I just pick up the muffler for a hundred bucks?

the magnaflow is barely louder than stock. but it sounds really good when u do longtubes, ory and a cam. if u just want straight up loud and dont give a rats *** then do the regular loudmouth. its loud raspy with longtubes. but it sounds sooo good on a regular fbod without headers.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where as it's somewhat of a task to get the LSx to sound "good", from what I've seen it's a task to make any Mustang sound BAD, so don't get discouraged The catback is usually on sale from sponsors here, I got mine from one on this site for 375 shipped brand new. LM2 sounds good, I've only had an LM1 on stock everything so I can't adequately comment, but I know I wouldn't have any problems driving my car with MF every day, anywhere, for however long. I am doing the cutout thing for when I wanna be loud. Good luck.

-J
Old 09-29-2008, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by '00 formula elesone
I have lts,ory,magnaflowand basic stuff 101k miles 354.39 to the rear tires? I think it sounds good.not too bad if i may say.considering the circumst. Car also trapped 111.22 last week. Magnaflow is the best I have had. dyno numbers were only 2hp diff. with cutout open.
Good looking numbers with the Magnaflows. I can't seem to open the link to the dyno sheet. Can you post it in a larger scale? thanks!
Old 10-01-2008, 10:47 PM
On The Tree

My buddy has a '99 SS, and his exhaust sounds beautiful. I looked underneath the car, and it's single pipe, and I don't think it's the SLP option because it doesn't look anything too fancy, and I think they put the SLP's on the 02's...can i buy a 99 SS factory exhaust? I was thinking of going with the MF catback, but I can't make up my mind.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow dyno test?