General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Running directional tires in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
In all seriousness, in addition to the previously mentioned wet traction issues that could be incredibly dangerous, some tires wear incredibly fast when on the wrong direction, in HS I had a set that didn't last 1000 miles on the front when they were swapped. I've also seen them last like there was nothing wrong, but that doesn't eliminate the danger of the tires forcing water under the tire rather than away from it.
Finally, a real response to the question.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not a big deal, you're just going to have to drive only in reverse when it rains. Small price to pay to keep those tires rotating the right way. Objects in mirror are ...oh sh*t.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by samson_420
I am thinking of getting them remounted to the opposite side. But, that costs money.

You might try talking to a tech and try to do an under the table kind of thing, that ends where you tip him instead of paying his store, lol. It'd probably be cheaper than going through the store. I've dismounted/mounted wheels on my time off for some friends before. Just know that if he scratches one, the store won't buy you a new wheel, lol.

I asked a salesguy at work recently if directional tires were structurally different than non directional tires, and he said kind of... lol. The belts and plies are all gonna be there (how many are there is related to the quality of the tire, the more the better for the most part), but the difference is all in the tread of the tire. (Picture)

The better tires (Goodyear's, Michelin's, BFG's, etc) make the tread blocks, grooves, and sipes a certain way for a reason. For example, the blocks on the edges are gonna be different sizes for better harmonics and less road noise (I don't understand how or why though, lol). Compare this to this. He said that's one of the reasons cheap tires are cheaper and usually louder. Then he had to go help a customer and I never really brought it up again.. lol. So I don't know exactly what all is involved, but I wouldn't personally run them backwards. Seems like it'd be de-engineering your tires, which is all that is connecting you to the ground. I'd be ok with doing it on my beater though, because the suspension's garbage anyways and traction sucks with blown shocks, but never on the Camaro.

Also though, fwiw, I had some Goodyear GS-D3's going the wrong way on the rears for a while after I did my brakes and back when I didn't know what directional tires were... lol. When I fixed them, It seemed to get better way better dry traction and the ride seemed to quiet down a lot. Rain driving got a shitload better, but it wasn't impossible with them backwards, I would just spin a lot when I got on it too much and 1st gear was useless.

*Edit: Why not just rotate them front to back? I think you said the fronts wear on the inside, and the rears wear on the outside?

Last edited by Texas 02 Z28; 09-19-2008 at 05:41 AM.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:25 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the response.

One of the back is wearing on the outside, the other is about even on both edges. - The fronts suck *** and are wearing on the inside.

I'll try a few things out in a few k.

Next time though, I am going to suck it up and take it to Lexus. At least when those ******* don't do it right the first time I can bitch and get it redone.

This ******* did not even want to redo ****.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:02 AM
Banned

hahahah
Old 09-19-2008, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

^ ? ? ?
Old 09-19-2008, 02:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by samson_420
^ ? ? ?

Think he's just trying to boost his post count.

Quick Reply: Running directional tires in reverse