General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

f bodys and snow

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZV8
All you need to drive in mild snow up to 10" in an Fbody is some good winter tires and a brain, I have owned nothing but RWD vehicles and know how to navigate out of bad situations. I turn off traction control cause its worthless, go very slow but more than enough to keep up your momentum cause if you go too slow you will get stuck, and get running speeds going up hills, time lights etc...oh and Posi traction helps a lot in snow, it just sends your rear end flying off to the side though but gets you moving. Oh and adding sand bags im talking 300+lbs of sand bags to the rear ends also helps a lot. Make sure you have your gas tank filled to as that adds weight in the rear. Brake with your transmission, and gently use the E-brake, since if your front wheels brake they will lock up easily and then you wont have any control over turning. Just some of the things I learned and use when driving in the winter.
+1 on that!!

I love how people claim its impossible to drive in the snow. I do it in my car with LT headers, Vig 3600 stall, and all. Also a stall actually makes it a lot easier ot drive in the snow as you can really gently ease into the throttle. driving in the snow is all about car control. Most people have very poor car control in low traction situations. That is why people think FWD is better because when the tires spin on a FWD the car will still go in whatever direction you steer. Works fine unless the FWD gets the rearend loose and hilarity ensues!

for the snow I toss on the snow tires, hook up my 2 12" sub box and drive it. For all the non-believers. here is a vid of my car in the Chicago Snow keeping right up with the FWD cars and 4x4's. this was last year. snow was deep enough in areas that I could feel and hear the snow plowing under the car.

View Video on FQuick
Old 09-26-2008, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've only ever driven f bodies and I do it year round including 6 winters now in Jersey. Its about knowing your car and maintaining safe distances and speed. Also all season tires are important as is common sense. My car is even lowered and on 18s...I manage. Good luck this coming season.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've driven my GN's in snow.... not that I wanted to... but its been done
Old 09-27-2008, 01:23 AM
TECH Regular

i live in mass, and have had a camaro for a dd for about 4 years now.. first a 96z, now my ss.. as long as your smart about it, you'll be all set.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:32 AM
Launching!

ehhh, I'll keep the salt and other solvents off my undercarriage thank you very much. i will note that i did manage in my old 5.0 foxbody. one wheel spins woohoo!
Old 09-27-2008, 02:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

zv8 said it perfectly. but detroit gets pretty nasty, its doable. but I wouldn't recomend it at all
Old 09-27-2008, 02:28 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JustWannaGoFast95
thanks for all the advice everyone those were some pretty quick replys im in michigan i know that it wouldnt be the best snow car but i didnt know they were that out right terrible for it and it will be drivin daily while the ls1 is parked so i just think i should stay away

needless to say though i think you all talked me outta it lol im not gonna keep the grand am though im still gonna sell it and buy something else a friend of mine just told me he was sellin a 93 ranger with 80k and its and extended cab for 1500 so im probably gonna be smart and get that
just get a jeep dude. 4wd, comfy, reliable when you have the 4.0, fantastic vehicles. plus, 4wd drifting in snow with mud tires is friggin awesome. get snow tires, with studs, if it's legal. that's a must, whatever car you drive.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:51 AM
TECH Regular

joey dont do it....just s/c the camaro and buy a 500 dollar neon
Old 09-27-2008, 02:55 AM
Teching In

get some good winter tires or even all season tires and you'll be fine. I wouldn't even attempt to drive it without having at least some good tires. I drove my v6 firebird last winter in Ohio with normal tires, and it wasn't pretty. After getting stuck in traffic with people honking at me and skidding down hills (scary), I will never do it again.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:14 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 94RedTAGT
get some good winter tires or even all season tires and you'll be fine. I wouldn't even attempt to drive it without having at least some good tires. I drove my v6 firebird last winter in Ohio with normal tires, and it wasn't pretty. After getting stuck in traffic with people honking at me and skidding down hills (scary), I will never do it again.
lol same thing happend with my old 98 z28 horrible with nitto d/rs
Old 09-27-2008, 09:26 AM
Launching!

you guys kill me. i drove three z28's in the snow 97,00,02 my 97,00 stock and did great, the 02 modded alot and it did just as good. no snow tires needed. put 3 sandbag tubes in the trunk above the gas tank and keep the tank over half full, leave tc on and take it easy. they only time you need to worry is in freak snow storms riding in tracks that have been traveled and frozen over. But if you drive like a normal person/grandma you will never get stuck. i did this for years in north dakota, minnesota, and wisconsin only got stuck twice, both times in work parking lot not backed in and a plow came through needed a lil push to get over the two foot berm, took all of ten min.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:14 AM
TECH Regular

I'm from Kansas and I had to drive my Camaro the morning after the really bad ice storm last year...525 rwhp and drag radials on the snow, not to mention a fairly tough clutch....it was a BLAST, I felt like mr Tokyo drift.

One thing I did notice was someone said to use your tranny break a lot and the E-brake. I would think twice about doing that if you do not do it daily. If something happens and you have to slow down fairly quickly you would not want to have to stop and think about what to do.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

been through three winters here with bizzaks, and have been worried only once. It's still not optimal though - should get a beater if possible.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:43 PM
TECH Resident

man I love living in FL reading this. The z28 is my DD
Old 09-27-2008, 02:47 PM
Teching In

I live in Alaska and snow is what we do! There are a 2-3 birds/maros that drive in the snow here in fairbanks. (9 months of the year) I personally dont drive my bird during the winter but I have seen it done. Sand bags and bizzaks are a must.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by PhantomR/T
man I love living in FL reading this. The z28 is my DD
you risk losing your car and house every year. depending on where you live... I'll take the snow.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

driving in the snow does not take talent, just caution and if you're an m6, the ability to lug to engine. having good tires and weight in the back is a GREAT idea. will it be harder to drive than most cars in the snow? yes. cry about it. i daily drove both f-bods regardless of weather. its all in perspective and ability.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 5SiX1
you risk losing your car and house every year. depending on where you live... I'll take the snow.
In orlando? Whatever you say homeslice. We barely get any hurricanes in this part of the state. And if we do, by the time theyre here, theyre dead. You get snow every year. Guaranteed.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

so the cheapest tire i see for my 17" wheels are still like $153. hmmmm, crap
Old 09-29-2008, 11:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

I drove my car in the snow last year to work while back from college, it is an lt1 cammed, bolton, and stalled...you just have to know how to drive it, at first it might be a little hair raising, but you will get the hang of it. Sometimes going sideways down a street isnt a bad thing....just make sure you dont oversteer...then **** happens...i have done it, and i am sure more have too...i will be driving it again this winter...in Chicago