General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Quick question about a ticket I got...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 08:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question about a ticket I got...

Ok, so I was written up by a MN State Patrol officer almost a month ago. My court date is coming up, and I have a few questions I'd like to pose to some of you guys.

Ok, first and foremost, the trooper pulled me over once for my tint being to dark, and gave me a warning. A few weeks later, the same trooper pulled me over again and then wrote me up for a ticket because I hadn't removed the tinting film. It was my mistake, and I was upset, but I decided to pay the ticket.

Well, me being curious as I am decided to look up the statute that I was written up for, and to my surprise, I believe he wrote me up for the wrong statute.

He wrote on the ticket, 169.71s1, which I take as Subdivision 1. But he was supposed to write me up for Subdivision 3, section 3. Subdivision 1 has nothing to do with window tint. Would I have an ok chance at getting the ticket dropped possibly? Or even reduced.

I have removed the tint from the driver and passenger side door, but I have yet to remove it from the hatch...I haven't had time and I don't want to cut my rear defroster lines.

I posted the statue below

169.71 WINDSHIELD.
Subdivision 1. Prohibitions generally; exceptions. (a) A person shall not drive or operate
any motor vehicle with:
(1) a windshield cracked or discolored to an extent to limit or obstruct proper vision;
(2) any objects suspended between the driver and the windshield, other than sun visors and
rearview mirrors and electronic toll collection devices; or
(3) any sign, poster, or other nontransparent material upon the front windshield, sidewings,
or side or rear windows of the vehicle, other than a certificate or other paper required to be so
displayed by law or authorized by the state director of the Division of Emergency Management or
the commissioner of public safety.
(b) Paragraph (a), clauses (2) and (3), do not apply to law enforcement vehicles.
(c) Paragraph (a), clause (2), does not apply to authorized emergency vehicles.

Subd. 2. Windshield wiper. The windshield on every motor vehicle shall be equipped with a
device for cleaning rain, snow or other moisture from the windshield, which device shall be so
constructed as to be controlled or operated by the driver of the vehicle.
Subd. 3. Defrosting requirement. No person shall drive any motor vehicle with the
windshield or front side windows covered with steam or frost to such an extent as to prevent
proper vision.
Subd. 4. Glazing material; prohibitions and exceptions. (a) No person shall drive or
operate any motor vehicle required to be registered in the state of Minnesota upon any street
or highway under the following conditions:
(1) when the windshield is composed of, covered by, or treated with any material which
has the effect of making the windshield more reflective or in any other way reducing light
transmittance through the windshield;
(2) when any window on the vehicle is composed of, covered by, or treated with any material
that has a highly reflective or mirrored appearance;
(3) when any side window or rear window is composed of or treated with any material so
as to obstruct or substantially reduce the driver's clear view through the window or has a light
transmittance of less than 50 percent plus or minus three percent in the visible light range or a
luminous reflectance of more than 20 percent plus or minus three percent;
or
(4) when any material has been applied after August 1, 1985, to any motor vehicle window
without an accompanying permanent marking which indicates the percent of transmittance and
the percent of reflectance afforded by the material. The marking must be in a manner so as not to
obscure vision and be readable when installed on the vehicle.

(b) This subdivision does not apply to glazing materials which:
(1) have not been modified since the original installation, nor to original replacement
windows and windshields, that were originally installed or replaced in conformance with Federal
Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 205;
(2) are required to satisfy prescription or medical needs of the driver of the vehicle or a
passenger if the driver or passenger is in possession of the prescription or a physician's statement
of medical need; or
(3) are applied to:
(i) the rear windows of a pickup truck as defined in section 168.011, subdivision 29;
(ii) the rear windows or the side windows on either side behind the driver's seat of a van as
defined in section 168.011, subdivision 28;
(iii) the side and rear windows of a vehicle used to transport human remains by a funeral
establishment holding a license under section 149A.50; or
(iv) the side and rear windows of a limousine as defined in section 168.011, subdivision 35.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

What was the % of the tint you had. If it was dark enough, they could still get you for non-transparent covering attached to the side windows. Unless the ticket is outrageous, i wouldnt go into a court and argue with a judge about subdivision numbers. The satute states that tine less than 50% plus or minus 3 % is too dark. Thats not very dark at all.

The fact the same trooper gave you a warning and then cited you a few weeks later will not look good either. Have fun.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:48 AM
12 Second Club

well on your hatch glass shouldnt be the problem its only the driver and passenger windows.its as dark as you want it but driver and passenger are 25% is the darkest at least thats how it is in texas.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:43 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1nut377
well on your hatch glass shouldnt be the problem its only the driver and passenger windows.its as dark as you want it but driver and passenger are 25% is the darkest at least thats how it is in texas.
it's 50% in mn.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:47 AM
01z
TECH Regular

50% that sucks lol. i have 25% and its still not dark enough, just keepin it legal. the rear is 5% though
Old 09-30-2008, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

In PA it's 75% haha which is essentially nothing. Although around here they don't really enforce it unless you're down around 20%. I've had no problem with 35% yet neither has anyone I know. But it's definately not as dark as I'd want it to be. I want 15-20.

How much was the fine? I guess it doesn't hurt though if it is infact the wrong thing on the ticket. Although in the end, drive with tint you know is illegal and expect to get pulled over.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

arguing over a small statute screwup is jsut going to **** the judge off. how much is the fine for?
Old 09-30-2008, 01:57 PM
TECH Regular

^^^Might **** off the Judge, but doesn't matter. Does the ticket state in writing what the infraction was for? i.e. does it say "window tint" or anything like that on the ticket. If it is just a ticket written to you for "169.71s1", then fight it because you did not break that law. You know how many people beat court cases because of forms being filled out improperly. I would fight it, but keep in mind it may cost you court costs to fight it.

Probably not worth it for a small fine and no points on your license.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

why not take pictures of your windshield showing the judge it was fixed? lmao
Old 09-30-2008, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most judges will not even consider your arguement.

A ticket is only a summons. Meaning that it is an order to appear before a magistrate. It also serves as notes pertaining to the crime in question.

A clerical error on one concerning subsection of a code is not a sufficient means for dismissal. The officer still cited the correct code, just the incorrect subsection.

You WILL lose that fight.

Just remove the tint, take a picture, present it to the court. Judge will likely dismiss, pay court fee, go buy soda, drink, be merry.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:20 PM
TECH Resident

Lady Bird,

Is bringing sexy back!
Old 10-01-2008, 12:07 AM
TECH Addict

Tint on any back window is legal in the US....i think
Old 10-01-2008, 06:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sslateron
Lady Bird,

Is bringing sexy back!
ha thanks . im excited too bc i just got word that I'm modeling for 5thGen.org yay!!

p.s. your sig makes me laugh.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah have fun with that. I just got a ticket for the same thing..he said mine was 4% thought.

At least you didnt have my luck..i got a speeding, window tint, and no insurance ticket the in the same night...the trooper said he would help me out in court. I wont loose my liscense but Im gonna have to pay big...BIG
Old 10-01-2008, 09:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fighting a ticket due to a little error like that isnt worth it. In FL you can have the rear window blacked out as long as you have clear view from both side windows and mirrors. I think we are now at 28% legal. I will have to look in my code book cause i havent memorized them.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take a pic of someone elses car just like yours without tint. my friend is a bumb and did that and got away with it.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:56 PM
12 Second Club

I got the tint ticket here in Texas. Had to go to a place and have it scraped off and re-applied legal. Just brought the reciept for that and it was dropped. Might as well scrape it off, you're just gonna get pulled over again for it. No reason to give them an excuse!
Old 10-01-2008, 02:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

im in Missouri and i got pulled over for speeding a month ago i rolled the windows down as soon as i saw the cop turn around but he still ask me if he could check my tint, (it measured 16%) and the legal limit is 32%, he gave me a warning for the ticket and the tint but tod me to peel it off......**** that it looks to good to peel off