General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Which car handles better? (legit question)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which car handles better? (legit question)

I've recently been thinking, which car handles better? A newer GTO or a LSx Trans Am?

The TA has the advantage of wider tires, a lighter weight, and (as far as I know) a wider track width. However, it is somewhat limited with the live-axle + panhard setup.

The GTO has the advantage of IRS as well as better brakes. It is a bit heavier as well, and its tires are fairly thin compared to what's on F-bodies.

Both cars have about the same weight distribution, and assuming a manual transmission, which one would handle better?

I'm going to guess that the GTO would handle better, despite its extra weight and thinner tires. Am I right?
Old 10-08-2008, 12:01 AM
TECH Resident

2003 Mustang Cobra! TA is lighter, the GTO is like a boat. I'd go with the almighty WS6 TA!
Old 10-08-2008, 02:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id say a ws6 would out do the goat
Old 10-08-2008, 03:05 AM
On The Tree

I agree WS6 dumdumdum! However I do know that IRS can do wonders for some car, at a glance I didnt see any comparisons online about the two, I'm sure car and driver or someone had to do a complete comparison 1/4 mile, skid test, ect ect ect, that would make this somewhat clearer
Old 10-08-2008, 10:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebirdfan
I've recently been thinking, which car handles better? A newer GTO or a LSx Trans Am?

The TA has the advantage of wider tires, a lighter weight, and (as far as I know) a wider track width. However, it is somewhat limited with the live-axle + panhard setup.

The GTO has the advantage of IRS as well as better brakes. It is a bit heavier as well, and its tires are fairly thin compared to what's on F-bodies.

Both cars have about the same weight distribution, and assuming a manual transmission, which one would handle better?

I'm going to guess that the GTO would handle better, despite its extra weight and thinner tires. Am I right?
Stock TransAm/Formula's come with 16/8" wheels, and the 04 GTO's come with 17/8" wheels. Its only the WS6 and Firehawk that get the wider (17/9") wheels.
Base TA vs GTO, I'd have my money on the GTO in handling, even though its heavier, it has shorter overhangs and most importantly it has better suspension (IRS, plus the fact that the fbodies have such terrible stock shock valving). The WS6 or Firehawk might be able to get the edge out on a GTO due to the added grip of the wider tires and larger front swaybar, but it would be close IMO.
Wanna make it really one sided? Buy some Konis for your TransAm...
Old 10-09-2008, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

Huh...it seems to be a split on which car would handle better. I asked one of my buddies (owns a formula) and he said the TA would do better on a big, road-race course, whereas the GTO would do better in something like autocross.

Someone needs to do a test between the cars and see which would do better.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I owned a 04 GTO M6 and now have a 00 WS6 A4.....I think the WS6 handles better. The GTO had bad wheel hop and the stock KDWs sucked. However, as an overall DD the GTO was great, it's got a very nice ride.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:09 PM
Banned

camaro