General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Poppy exhaust when foot is taken off throttle? Normal? On a search for shitty low mpg

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 10:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Poppy exhaust when foot is taken off throttle? Normal? On a search for shitty low mpg

While on my hunt to defeat my very low *** mileage(140-150 a tank!!!) on my 45k stock, except for borla exhaust, M6 LS1 T/A, I am wondering if popping sounds from the exhaust indicate anything or if its normal. When I let go of the throttle after pressing on it, mostly lower gears, I get A LOT of popping sounds coming out of my exhaust while the RPMs drop. Is this normal, or does it indicate a problem?

The car has always done this since I bought it at 44k miles and it currently has 47.5k. I have changed out all spark plugs,wires, fuel filter, one 02(my socket doesn't fit on drivers side, will fix this soon), PCV valve, cleaned air filter.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have an auto, but ive had friends with M6 cars that do the same. As for the gas milage, make sure you use 93 octane, also do you have a "service engine soon" light on?
Old 11-12-2008, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't worry this is normal. Everybody with aftermarket exhausts has to deal with this for the most part. Mine pops too. When the motor is reving at significant RPM levels and you quickly take your foot off the gas or put it in neutral between gears, there is a lack of continuous back pressure leaving the motor. Its like a bubble of pressure with nothing in front or behind as it comes down the pipe, just like a bullet leaving a gun. The reason you hear it is because these performance exhausts don't stop the backpressure and so you hear the pop
Old 11-12-2008, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

ive always enjoyed that sound
Old 11-12-2008, 12:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by wrays96
ive always enjoyed that sound
Yeah, no doubt, I love that sound!! Was just wondering if it indicated any sort of problem. Now that I know that it doesn't, I can enjoy it even more!!

Originally Posted by WS-Six
Don't worry this is normal. Everybody with aftermarket exhausts has to deal with this for the most part. Mine pops too. When the motor is reving at significant RPM levels and you quickly take your foot off the gas or put it in neutral between gears, there is a lack of continuous back pressure leaving the motor. Its like a bubble of pressure with nothing in front or behind as it comes down the pipe, just like a bullet leaving a gun. The reason you hear it is because these performance exhausts don't stop the backpressure and so you hear the pop
Oh,wow, thanks for the explanation!

I ALWAYS use 93 octane, never skimp out on the gas. I have no service light showing. I'm gonna try seafoaming, clean my MAF, and check the AIR valves.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:27 PM
12 Second Club

Maybe fuel filter as well? never a bad idea if you dont know the last time it was changed.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:00 PM
Banned

im thinking its your 02's i always like the pop but mine was a fualty o2 and was dumping too much fuel in the bank 1 cylinders.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

Not everyones exhaust pops. Its mostly the loud, low backpressure exhausts. I was trying to look for it online but I couldnt find the answer I was looking for (My mechanic friend told me exhaust pop was from to little backpressure) but what some guys were saying was that it was excess fuel being burnt off.

I'll keep looking, I've been wanting to know what causes this too. Maybe I'll email an exhaust company, they should know
Old 11-13-2008, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

I just emailed GMMG, I'll let you guys know what they say...