General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

somebody please tell me its totaled!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008 | 02:34 PM
On The Tree

Default somebody please tell me its totaled!!

somebody please tell me this is totaled airbags didn go off and does anyone know what te buybacks are on these cars usally it ended up in a ditch ripped off exhaust core support almost touching engine
Attached Thumbnails somebody please tell me its totaled!!-wrecked-camaro.jpg  
Old 11-30-2008 | 10:45 PM
On The Tree

Man I'm sorry to see that. Well did it damage the front subframe? how old is the car and how many miles?
Old 12-01-2008 | 12:01 AM
On The Tree

It is crazy easy to total these cars. My TA was totaled after I hit a deer, and looked BETTER in the end than yours does. The buyback was 500-750 on that.

On my next car someone backed into my door and CRACKED the door, no other damage to the car... just a small crack in the fiberglass... $2500 worth of damage.

On the same car I recently hit a pole... totally destroyed the stoplight pole and did 0 body damage to my car (odd eh?)... the only damage was the rack and pinion was destroyed as were the tie rods. $3000 worth of damage.

So yea, you would need a full front end shell replacement, with paint, not including whatever other damage was done. I would guess $7k just for that.
Old 12-01-2008 | 12:09 AM
Restricted User

Sorry to see your car like that man! Things do happen though thats why we have insurance!

My buddy put his camaro in the ditch 2 years ago and it looked better than that. They considered it totaled. I think it only cost him $800 to buy it back. He fixed it painted it and is still driving it.

My guess is that its totaled but who knows.
Old 12-01-2008 | 12:24 AM
TECH Regular

I had similar damage to my camaro. Light pole jumped out at me You're looking at around $5,000 with the labor. It would be closer to $8,000 if the airbags went off because you have to replace the dash (because it cracks when the passenger side opens up) and windshield (because the passenger side airbag richochets off of it). When I dealt with my insurance company I believe buy-back was around $3,000. Car was valued at $14,000 at the time. Bluebook your car, if the damage estimates come anywhere close to 75% your insurance company will total it. Good luck.
Old 12-01-2008 | 12:31 AM
On The Tree

thanks for the input guys i hope the buy back is cheap i am going to miss the car but am probably going to buy another i like them way to much
Old 12-01-2008 | 12:57 AM
On The Tree

buy it back... no matter what the cost...

i had to abandon mine in nevada, when i lived in cali... i still regret to this day not buying it back and having it towed back to cali...

you can probably sell the parts off it for FAR more than whatever the buyback is, or you can always use em as backup parts for when something fails on your new ride. besides... if you dont buy it back.. just think of all the vultures that will swarm upon it in the junk yard. I saw a totaled camaro get picked clean of all useful parts within 24 hours at the local junkyard in wisconsin, and I believe the junkyard made 11k off of it... it was nuts.
Old 12-01-2008 | 10:20 PM
Teching In

its totalled but i would buy it back if you can the parts alone are worth far more than that. but if you do fix it it will probably have salvaged title on it. thats something to consider when desiding to fix it or not.
Old 12-01-2008 | 10:37 PM
11 Second Club
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by xephona
On the same car I recently hit a pole... totally destroyed the stoplight pole and did 0 body damage to my car (odd eh?)... the only damage was the rack and pinion was destroyed as were the tie rods. $3000 worth of damage.
Wow you got fucked in the *** with no lube..

I can get a Rack & Pinion for like $70, and then the Tie Rods for another $30..

My advice to you is pick up a book and learn, you will be suprised.
Old 12-02-2008 | 03:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by the_merv
Wow you got fucked in the *** with no lube..

I can get a Rack & Pinion for like $70, and then the Tie Rods for another $30..

My advice to you is pick up a book and learn, you will be suprised.
not really.. it was cheaper to just have GM do it.. the light pole cost $2000 , and since i had to pay the $1000 deductable anyway.. i might as well have it done professionally. Most of that $3k repair was paint replacement though.