General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

wrecked my car, got really lucky

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 02:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wrecked my car, got really lucky

So tonight I decided to race my buddies camaro. Hes got long tubes and an ofy and I have a stock TA, the first race I beat him by a car , and on the second we were neck and neck until we hit a bridge. Immediately upon hitting the bridge, both our cars kicked sideways, we were doing about 115 and accelerating. My buddies tires are a week old and he pulled out of it. My tire are bald and I wasn't so lucky. I avoided the bridge by countering all the way to the steering lock and flooring it. Once I made it past the bridge it was either hit a large fence and a ditch, or go over a curb into the low lying area under the bridge. I choose the curb, hit it at 110, went down an embankment spinning around, flew out of the ditch, and got airborne going backwards. I flew about 20 feet before landing on my right rear, spraying up a shower of dirt and grass, then almost flipped onto the driver side before coming to a stop.

I got out of the car, threw the keys at the ground, and hopped in my buddies car to get out of there and go get my trailer.

So here the damage so far, not to bad really:

Three popped tires
Four bent to hell wheels, were ZR-1's
No more catback, curb ripped it off
Shot both exhaust tips tumbling down the road
Filled the wheels, bumpers, and skirts with mud and dirt
Scratched the hell out of every inch of the lower half of the car
Bent the panhard bar pretty bad, rear shifted over
Ripped up the driver inner fender
Sub box jammed between the decklid and trunk area and bent up the decklid
Doors dont line up with the fenders at the lower front edge
Driver side headlight stuck up
ABS INOP light is now on, what should I check?
Neck is killing me

I'm sure it won't drive straight anymore, need to check out the alignment, but is there anything else you guys would suggest I check suspension wise? Luckily the car runs and drives, might have bent an axle, not sure yet, but so far it doesn't look like I did.

I'm just lucky to believe alive, loosing it at 115 on a bridge, I will never, never, never do anything that stupid ever again. I'll post up pics tomorrow.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

It's good that you walked away, some people aren't so lucky. Be lucky you hit no one else either..it's just something that you and your friend will know, and you will never forget it.

The Car can be fixed.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like everyone is gonna say good thing no one was hurt.

I took mine into a telephone pole doing 90 so i kinda know how you feel.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:59 AM
On The Tree

damn, good to hear that you came out relatively unscathed.

sounds like you got a lot of work ahead of you. we all learn our lesson, one way or another (backwards into guardrail ~120). glad you were able to walk away from it. the car can be replaced, but you only get one life.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like an episonde of dukes of hazzard. Also sounds like you have alot of fixing and upgrading to do.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by the_merv
it's just something that you and your friend will know, and you will never forget it.
And all of LS1tech, and anyone who your friend tells, or you tell, lol. Glad you're okay though. Similar situation I did, except I was only going 30 and went into the grass median on the interstate (was merging on after a light rain and slowly accelerating, tires just broke loose). Little bit of spiderwebbed paint on the front bumper and a cracked piece of plastic, and a lot of mud lol.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is the chassis straight ? don't cheap out on tires man, tires are money well spent you get safety and performance, unless you just do burn outs in the parking lot.

good luck with the car. hope you can fix it.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:52 AM
On The Tree

I'm pretty sure the chassis is strait. The front fender is broken, and the tires have a bunch of toe out, something is bent. I ordered new wheels (black
zr1's), new tires, adjustable panhard bar, subframe connectors, and thinking of doing adjustable rear control arms, what do yall think. Only reason being so that i can do an alignment on the rear, is it really necessary?
Old 12-18-2008, 02:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

You may have bent the front Tie Rods. As far as the alignment of the Rear, make you you get if back centered. The Adjustable LCA's will help it center in the Fender.