General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Hard Starts

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 08:59 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hard Starts

My car is a 95 3800 auto. I'm having trouble first starting up sittig over night in the below zero temps. Battery is less than 6 months old and is rated at GM's specifications. What can I do to easier the start for the car???
Old 12-22-2008, 11:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't they sell block heaters or something like that for this issue (i.e. below 0 temps)?? My gf told me about when she was in school up in Canada that they would pull in to a parking spot and plug their cars into some outlet that powered a heater that had to be installed on all the vehicles bc it got so cold that the engine would literally freeze...

No clue... I'm from the U.S. I hate cold! Haha

Where are you that it's getting so cold?
Old 12-23-2008, 12:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Adam2001WS6
Don't they sell block heaters or something like that for this issue (i.e. below 0 temps)?? My gf told me about when she was in school up in Canada that they would pull in to a parking spot and plug their cars into some outlet that powered a heater that had to be installed on all the vehicles bc it got so cold that the engine would literally freeze...

No clue... I'm from the U.S. I hate cold! Haha

Where are you that it's getting so cold?
Near Sioux Falls SD
Normally it doesn't get this cold here but this year it's aboslutely freezing out here.
Every morning I think what in the hell happened to global warming. lol
Old 12-23-2008, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe look in to what I was mentioning about above. Do you park the car in a garage or outside?
Old 12-23-2008, 03:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Adam2001WS6
Maybe look in to what I was mentioning about above. Do you park the car in a garage or outside?
Outside.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What oil you running? 5W-30 will help it start easier than 10W-30.

Check all the connections too, battery and starter. The starter is right down at the bottom where it is subject to road salt so a really cold battery + corrosion on the starter battery connection could cause it to not crank too well.

My V6 always has a start issue, cranks forever before it starts up. I think it is a check valve problem letting the fuel drain back into the tank. But today after my car sat for a few days and it got subzero it started instantly when I turned the key.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
What oil you running? 5W-30 will help it start easier than 10W-30.

Check all the connections too, battery and starter. The starter is right down at the bottom where it is subject to road salt so a really cold battery + corrosion on the starter battery connection could cause it to not crank too well.

My V6 always has a start issue, cranks forever before it starts up. I think it is a check valve problem letting the fuel drain back into the tank. But today after my car sat for a few days and it got subzero it started instantly when I turned the key.
Yep I do have 5w-30 exactly because of this. Starter connections wouldn't be corroded because they don't use salt on our roads they use sand. But that is a very good thought. My cousin said to run your headlights for a minute before trying to start the car because it helps warm up the battery and isn't so hard for the battery to discharge such a large amount of energy. Didn't really get to try this though because it was pretty warm for once and was about 15 degrees out.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

If it's close enough to a power outlet you could put a trickle charger on the battery. It won't over charge the battery but will keep a little juice going through it and that will keep it warm.