General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Interior under seats and mats always wet after driving in rain..

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 05:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Interior under seats and mats always wet after driving in rain..

Well this is apparently worse than I thought. All last week we had a monsoon, my car was startin to smell so i took my seats out to vacuum to find puddles under my rear seats. My passenger front floormat has also been having some water accumulate for awhile, but the rear seats is new to me.

It doesn't seem to do this when my car sits in the rain, only when I drive it in the rain, but I could be wrong because I don't check it everyday. How likely is it that maybe theres some cracks or damage under the car causing water to seep inside when I drive? Or would it just be my weatherstripping? I don't ever see much water on the seats or carpet, that's the weirdest part is that it just mainly accumulates under my seats. Or is it soaking into the seats and draining down?

Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it?
Old 12-30-2008, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

Wow, thats something pretty odd. Is it coming in through the lower part of the door seal and traveling backward? Or maybe from the back of the t-tops going onto the seat and soaking through like you said?
Old 12-30-2008, 08:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Hmm.. now the lower door seal seems logical because on my driver side door the weatherstripping at the bottom has a large hole in it. But would water come between the door and go all the way to the back seats? My t-tops dont SEEM to leak, but like I said I have never actually seen any dripping water or anything to really see where it comes from.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

If I remember correctly there are rubber plugs in the floor. Maybe some are missing?
Old 12-31-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Regular

Has the car ever been in an accident? I had a friend have this exact same problem. He kept smelling mildew, but could never find water on top of the carpet. There was actually a pin hole in the lip around the rear hatch where a replacement panel had been welded in. It was high up enough that it only leaked when the car was parked at an angle. The water traveled through the pin hole over the inner tub over the rear wheel, behind the sail panel and under the rear seat. Sealing the hole and drying/cleaning the carpet solved the problem. Look for the trail and follow it back to the source.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Never been wrecked. also are those plugs accessible from the bottom of the car?
Old 12-31-2008, 07:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by HoLLo
Should be able to. I know the t-top storage ones are.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure that the hatch weatherstrip is glued on very well. If they are not glued on very well, (gaps) water will leak in.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:54 AM
TECH Junkie

I got into my car today. To find another massive puddle under my passenger rear seat. It definitely is not coming from the top. So I think it's my passenger side door seals, and then the water is travelling back into the rear seat bucket.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:56 AM
11 Second Club

I got into my car today. To find another massive puddle under my passenger rear seat. It definitely is not coming from the top. So I think it's my passenger side door seals, and then the water is travelling back into the rear seat bucket.
That is highly unlikely.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Why is that? It can't be a plug in the bottom that's missing, because it became it pretty large freakin puddle. Which weatherstrip seal should I be replacing?

I don't think it's my hatch or t-tops because I see no signs of dripping from those areas.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:11 AM
11 Second Club

Why is that? It can't be a plug in the bottom that's missing, because it became it pretty large freakin puddle. Which weatherstrip seal should I be replacing?

I don't think it's my hatch or t-tops because I see no signs of dripping from those areas.
Don't replace the seals until you have found the leak.

How many miles are on your car? Daily driver?

It is common for F-bodys to leak on the right rear inner fender right at the seam of the inner and outer wheelhouse. The section that leaks is directly in front of the tire. Look for undercoating that is chipped off or see if it is loose and comes offs easy.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

that's pretty annoying to say the least.

Can you try sitting in the car and have some body spray the car with a hose and look for it that way?

Also try going thru the carwash and seeing it get wet as well. if you go thru the car wash and don't see anything that it's what 9t8z28 says.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:19 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It has to come from the rear of the car somewhere cause I have the same problem theres always a puddle under my rear drivers side seat and my car is parked facing downhill. Im thinking t-top because my window motor was out for months and I always just took the t-top off and now my drivers side t-top doesnt sit as flush in the rear as the passenger side. I also noticed that when I open my hatch on both sides were the hatch goes down to the body is filled with water also. I was told sfc's would fix the leaks but I think they can only help prevent leaks by keeping the body from twisting and not stop existing leaks. Sure hop someone knows how to fix this cause its kinda hard to keep the car smelling fresh with all this funky wet carpet.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

The hood latch grommet probably. Mine was leaking so I calked the **** out of it
Old 03-17-2009, 01:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I looked at you Fquick page and it said you and speakers if the power wire is running thur the fire wall that is where I found mine to be leaking. The water would travel to the back of the car. The second place i found water to be leaking in on my car was the passenger window where the sail panel meets the roof right at that bend. It would fill up the rear seat cubby hole with lots of water. Replaced the seal and then siliconed the mess out of the power wire that was going thur the fire wall
Old 03-17-2009, 01:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

I believe there is 1 on each side at feet.You can see them underneath.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Check this out. This happened about a week ago. when I get in my car I see drips from my driver side window near the front of the t-top and passenger side window near rear of t-top which is a much faster leak. I was parked on a hill nose up and it monsooned all night. So it looks like I need t-top weatherstripping

Old 03-30-2009, 08:14 PM
11 Second Club

Check this out. This happened about a week ago. when I get in my car I see drips from my driver side window near the front of the t-top and passenger side window near rear of t-top which is a much faster leak. I was parked on a hill nose up and it monsooned all night. So it looks like I need t-top weatherstripping

Your car is not that old and should not need replacements unless you physically see damage to it. Try adjusting the window and make sure that the T-top is aligned correct.

Quick Reply: Interior under seats and mats always wet after driving in rain..